Last visit was: Sat Oct 25, 2014 9:51 pm It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 9:51 pm

[ 66 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
 First timers - primitive camping 
Wanee Mushroom

Post Re: First timers - primitive camping
Karen, my friend and I are newbies also. Should arrive at about 1 on Wednesday. We are making a list ourselves. See you there!

Mon Mar 18, 2013 8:32 pm Profile
Wanee Peach

We are officially in the count down, and we have a "tag along" A friend of ours, Mike, who is 72 and has back issues, never camped, and said "I LOVE the ABB and I just order my ticket and going with ya! What should I bring?" This is going to be a hoot! Can't wait.

Tue Mar 26, 2013 4:22 pm Profile
Wanee Veteran

Welcome Karen and friends!
Camp comfort is a priority. If you have a comfortable (air mattress), warm (heavy sleeping bag and extra blanket)and dry (tarp over and one under your tent) you're off to a good start. Just make sure the tarp under the tent is not bigger than the tent itself. Eating is the next big deal. There are tons of food vendors and a restuarant by the general store (which stocks practically everything if you don't want to haul tons of supplies with you). You can bring a simple gas or coal grill for cooking and boiling water. Drink lots of water. Really important to stay hydrated!! There are numerous bath houses through out the park. It can get cool (lower 50's at night and hot upper 80's at day). The park can be a bit confusing at first, they have been including a map in the Wanee handout you get when you pick up your wristband. Bring a small flash light for night, it gets dark in them woods. Bug spray....yes they have mosquitos. There's a whole list of camping things to bring but I just wanted to touch on some of the things I have found to be of most importance. Look around in the forum, there are many older posts from past years that get into everything about Wanee. My last piece of advice is that the festival is a marathon. Know that you cannot see all the bands ( I tried once) so narrow in on the ones you can't miss. Pace yourselves and you'll have a grate time!!

Tue Mar 26, 2013 5:13 pm Profile
Wanee Master

KarenN wrote:
We are officially in the count down, and we have a "tag along" A friend of ours, Mike, who is 72 and has back issues, never camped, and said "I LOVE the ABB and I just order my ticket and going with ya! What should I bring?" This is going to be a hoot! Can't wait.

72 back problems and never has camped before??
Hot showers are hard to come by, I hope he has an idea what he's getting into with Primitive Camping.
Good Luck. 8-)

Tue Mar 26, 2013 5:23 pm Profile
Wanee Pro

This is also my first Wanee. But my shower tote bag has been perfected over the years. It includes a couple of these clamps. One to hang the bag and an extra. Clip on the stall door.

Tue Mar 26, 2013 6:54 pm Profile
Wanee Mushroom

Spyderstan wrote:
This is also my first Wanee. But my shower tote bag has been perfected over the years. It includes a couple of these clamps. One to hang the bag and an extra. Clip on the stall door.

bathe in the river if you can the showers and porta potties are a terrible wait and not worth it (gag gag and puke).. make a makeshight toilet in camp if you can. The showers are cold and you stand in line at least a hour ..But wanee is so wonderfull it doesnt even matter

Tue Mar 26, 2013 9:26 pm Profile
Wanee Peach

This is my first time as well so thanks for the tips everyone!

Wed Mar 27, 2013 3:30 pm Profile
Wanee Demi-God

Truthfully showers last year were not as bad as years past.... You just need to pick the right times to go. They had an attendant stationed there the whole festy and she kept the place pretty damn clean. I gave her a pretty big tip the last day. ;)

THE "MRS. VIPER DANCE"

Wed Mar 27, 2013 3:34 pm Profile
Wanee Peach

:o :o :o :o ... wait, I should bring one of those 5gallon shower thingies? I don't want to flood the campsite(I purchased a campsite w/ H20 & electric after seeing some pics of primitive camping last year...a verrry full field) but an hour inline sounds way out. I get up early; no joke, I don't drink anymore ... :D :D :D

Mon Apr 01, 2013 7:38 pm Profile
Wanee Peach

We bought a sun shower, but baby wipes and dry shampoo might be the way I am going go. But I'll wait the hour for the shower if need be.

Getting really excited and the shower thing is become secondary. :)

Mon Apr 01, 2013 7:45 pm Profile
 [ 66 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next