Last visit was: Tue Jul 29, 2014 8:45 am It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 8:45 am

[ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Memories and Expectations 
Wanee Fan

Post Re: Memories and Expectations
I'm excited to see Robert Randolph again this year. I remember a couple of years back he came dancing across the stage during the J.J. Grey set, he was having too much fun.

Mon Apr 08, 2013 3:35 pm Profile
Wanee Master

Our first Wanee was 2007. I had been on the Panic train since 93, Mule 98, Derek 99, and so on. And I had seen the Brothers -- in 1971 -- but had not seen them since. Despite knowledgable friends assuring me I should check them out. I still can't tell you why, since I was totally sold on the ABB concept and on Warren and Derek.

So back to 2007. After a wonderful day with Scrapomatic, Robert Randolph, the Radiators, Oteil and the Peacemakers and the Mule, we settled in (it was a two-day gig that year) for ABB. We were plenty ready *mentally*.

ABB hits the stage and takes several minutes to tune up. Out of the chaos, something starts to emerge (and as I am telling you this I am AGAIN getting goosebumps right now thinking about this), and all of a sudden I see that it is the lead-in to "Les Brers In A Minor." Suddenly, Oteil hammers that key opening bass line, and we were off to the races. Derek is spectacular, and then Warren is... Warren... at warp speed.

I get tears in my eyes EVERY time I listen to that Instant Live recording.

OMG. OMG. OMG. Talk about a transcendent experience! OMG!

"Remember: music is a religion. You have to pray every day."
-- Jose' Luis "Cheo" Pardo, Los Amigos Invisibles

Mon Apr 08, 2013 3:42 pm Profile
Wanee Mushroom

Having to bounce back and forth between GPN and the Mule a couple of years back was a fun time. Listening to Robert Plant while chillin in the river. Eating to many boomers at Hot Tuna 2 years ago and yarking in front of everyone :( Tuna last year when they killed Come Back, Baby. Jorma acoustic 5 years ago with Barry in a soaked afternoon set for maybe 300-400 peeps. Galactic throwing down huge to close it out 2 years ago. Warren opening up with a Tele 2 years ago for the Mule's midnight set. Rusted Root covering Suspicious Minds, trying to talk to Rashawn Ross after TTB but these chicks were all, "look at my tattoo of Dave." Bruce Hornsby covering The Band last year. And Brother Gregory bowing out last year. Can't wait to see the Brothers at full strength in '13

Mon Apr 08, 2013 3:53 pm Profile
Wanee Master

TheAntelope wrote:
And Brother Gregory bowing out last year.

That was definitely sad....made me want to cry for him... :cry: :cry:

Mon Apr 08, 2013 4:05 pm Profile
Wanee Gnome

Some years back Junior Brown played the Mushroom Stage on a Wednesday night (I think). I've always been a fan of Junior so I was really happy to see him live for the first time. Then Warren stepped out and they went back and forth with guitar licks for what seemed like 30 minutes but was really only two or three. This duel is captured on video and available somewhere on Youtube and what's really funny is that the video shows Warren having all kinds of technical problems with the sound and I don't remember that at all. It's like my mind deleted the bad and kept the good.

In 2010 my buddy damn near killed a dude when he strung his hammock between two trees. It turned out that one of these trees was rotted to the core. When he got in the hammock it was timber! That damn tree came with inches of smashing my tent and maybe two feet from crushing some poor guy sitting about 30 feet away at his campsite.

And Taj on stage with the ABB. That didn't suck.

Mon Apr 08, 2013 4:07 pm Profile
Wanee Lover

I remember one year at Wanee... oh wait, that's right, I've never been. Can't wait till I get to make some memories.

Mon Apr 08, 2013 4:08 pm Profile
Wanee Fan

Don't worry Jeff, soon you'll be like the rest of us. I'm sitting here having memories but I can place which year they are from. It is one big wanee blur, but it's all good.

When the brothers started doing into the mystic a couple years ago it was a moment shared by the whole crowd. You can literally feel the energy out there sometimes.

Mon Apr 08, 2013 4:12 pm Profile
Wanee Master

mccjeff wrote:
I remember one year at Wanee... oh wait, that's right, I've never been. Can't wait till I get to make some memories.

It's like a contact high. We'll share all of those previous experiences with you! Not verbally, necessarily, but you'll see!

"Remember: music is a religion. You have to pray every day."
-- Jose' Luis "Cheo" Pardo, Los Amigos Invisibles

Mon Apr 08, 2013 4:13 pm Profile
Wanee Master

The naked guy falling over our chairs.....
and this girl holding two of her fingers about an inch apart and laughing at him on the ground..... :o

It is really a long story....one that I have told before....

and then he gets tased...and hauled away....

Great story and unfortunately sticks in my memory...

Mon Apr 08, 2013 4:14 pm Profile
Wanee Wizard

that Friday was epic when JJ played the mushroom stage. one incredible band after another!!

one of my favorite times was a late nite with calypso mama and her man, and brett Paul and I. I think grandma cracker stopped by as well. anyway it was a special night with everyone ENJOYING and in the middle of a lot of just nothing, paul jumps up grabs a hula hoop and started hooping his mtrfkn arse off.

and then we laughed and laughed and laughed, and Paul was forever known as hula hoopin mtrfkn paul from then on.

it was sad last year for me with the ABB. Gregg was not in good health and when he sang the song Damage Done the tears were flowin.

if the Beacon shows are any indication of how the Wanee sets will be, we are in for A SHOW!! :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Mon Apr 08, 2013 4:45 pm Profile
 [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next