Last visit was: Mon Dec 22, 2014 10:14 am It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 10:14 am

[ 15 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Wanee Lover

Post 1969
At some point in our young lives the ‘Age of Innocence’ must end and for me this was 1969. I was just 13, but it was 1969. Just a cliche, Sex, Drugs and Rock and Roll? No, it defined my youth. I will elaborate a little about the music of my youth. I always enjoyed music. As a 7 year old I watched the Beatles on The Ed Sullivan show. A week later, It was on the radio they where arriving in Miami. I begged my grandmother to take me to the airport to greet the Beatles. Sadly, she didn’t take me. I had my 45’s and my record player each in a little suitcase style carrying case that I would take to my friends houses to play my music. At bedtime I would turn on my transistor radio and listen in to WQAM AM station. By the time I was 13 I was primed for live music. I remember that 3 day festival in December, 1969. The Miami Rock Festival.

My father drove us halfway there and we rode the bus the rest of the way. Initially I wasn’t permitted to stay the nights but a quick call home from a pay phone and an older, 16 year old friend of my brother to reassure my parents she would watch over me got me the freedom to sleep there. It's crazy the details I remember about that festival. Not the music but the hat I bought there. And the few joints that we bought that were rolled in flag rolling papers. I think someone had rolled pasture grass because it wasn’t any good. It was cold we had no tent or shelter. We just laid blankets on the ground to rest upon. The line up was grate. Yes, The Grateful Dead, Santana, The Turtles, The Band, Vanilla Fudge. It was certainly the biggest event for me in that year.
Ah well, since this is about 1969, some other events from that year that were special to me. That summer I went on vacation to Georgia with my Grandparents, an Aunt, and 4 cousins. We stayed in a little roadside motel. We caught fireflies in a jar and cousin Johnny released them in my grandpa’s room that evening. We ate pizza in a restaurant where they had a sing-along show. We watched 4th of July Fireworks at Kennesaw Mountain. Later that month we watch the moon lading on TV. And later that year, sometime after my brother Frank returned home from Woodstock he received his draft notice.
The years that followed included many rock concerts. Living in the Miami area brought all the major acts to town. I went to them all. Nearly every weekend there was a concert either at Pirates World or the Hollywood Sportatorium, Miami JaiLai or Miami Beach Convention Center & Dinner Key Auditorium. It was fun along the way…Oh look here :arrow: :arrow: :arrow: It’s my 1969’th post :!: :!: :!:
My favorite Band since 1969 The Allman Brother Band…next week baby!
What are your memories of 1969 and the Allman Brothers Band?

Following the shadows of the skies or are they only figments of my eyes?
And I'm feeling close to where the race is run
Waiting in our boats to set sail, sea of joy

Thu Apr 03, 2014 7:01 pm Profile
Wanee Peach

Post Re: 1969
:o :shock: :? :( ;) :) I love your post Judie.

Thu Apr 03, 2014 8:43 pm Profile
Wanee Fan

Thanks for sharing that Judee. I enjoy hearing from others that were doing the same as me at the same time kinda stuff!

In Feb of '69 we moved to Titusville Florida. I was 14 and listening to the Door's, Iron Butterfly, Janis Joplin with Big Brother and the Holding Co, Cream Wheels of Fire, and The Chambers Bro's. That summer, I remember seeing the Woodstock posters everywhere, and some friends and I were going to hitch hike to NY and be a part of it. We got as far as Daytona, but we got caught takeing some bread and baloney from a store and the cops called our parents. Soon after (sometime in August) my family moved to Orlando to get me away from all "the neighborhood hippies."
It did no good, because I soon made friends with all the "freaks" in O'ville.
I was so rebelliuos that when I got my first part time job ('70) and realized I had to pay taxes, me and another friend decided to go live on an island in the keys and become hermits and live off the land. Forck the establishment!
We paid $11 to Greyhound to get us to Marathon in the Keys. I remember having to hang out in Miami for a few hours and then take the last bus to the Keys. When we got there in the middle of the night, they lost our baggage and so we decided to "borrow" a row boat and rowed out to an island that we could just barely see on the horizon. Unfortunatly it was no Gilligans Island with the white sandy lagoon and we couldn't even get on the damn thing.
We rowed back, hungry, and tried to sleep in someone's lawn chairs but they kicked us off of they're property. ...we spent most of the next day trying to open up a coconut for food.
My first concert was Black Sabbath, and Humble Pie in August of '71. After that I was hooked on concerts and went to most major arena events in Florida all through the seventies. I saw a lot of good headliners back in the day. Too many to list here.

Gettin' High
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xJgtVFKQUb4

Thu Apr 03, 2014 9:40 pm Profile WWW
Wanee Fan

:::::smirking::::: I was 4 in 1969!!!!!

I am only enjoying sharing that because I am the oldest Mom in my sons class and his cub scout troop!!!!

Thu Apr 03, 2014 9:47 pm Profile
Wanee Fan

TheresaCee wrote:

:lol:

Gettin' High
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xJgtVFKQUb4

Thu Apr 03, 2014 9:50 pm Profile WWW
Wanee Pro

TheresaCee wrote:

I am only enjoying sharing that because I am the oldest Mom in my sons class and his cub scout troop!!!!

I got that beat... I was 18 months old! Don't remember too much about that day, but I do have the dead's set on Maxell tape. I hope some day that my children appreciate that I took them to see Vassar Clemons at the coolest place east of the Mississippi when they were 6 .

Thu Apr 03, 2014 10:00 pm Profile
Wanee Master

All of the ones who weren't even a glimmer in daddy's eye haven't chimed up yet.

I'll work on one of my tomes, since I was graduated from high school in 1969 and headed to college that fall.

You have been forewarned.

Good luck with that!

Keep them cards, letters and stories a-comin', folks!

"Remember: music is a religion. You have to pray every day."
-- Jose' Luis "Cheo" Pardo, Los Amigos Invisibles

Thu Apr 03, 2014 11:08 pm Profile
Wanee Mushroom

Born May of '71. But very jealous!

Thu Apr 03, 2014 11:42 pm Profile
Wanee Master

I was 5 yrs old in "69" :!: 8-)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nm039Hw45aw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_FCQwv82 ... r_embedded

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NBo_POKv21w

Fri Apr 04, 2014 5:56 am Profile WWW
Wanee Mushroom

Very cool story. I was 8 years old in 1969, and was still very much "unformed" when it came to music. Hell, I remember it wasn't too many years prior to 1969 that I still thought the music coming out of the radio was being played live at the radio station by the various musicians! :shock:

It wasn't too many years after 1969 that I bought my first LP, "Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band." And it wasn't too much longer after that that I bought another album. It was a double album, and I had to mow a lot of lawns to come up with the money to buy it. The album cover had some long haired, hippie types on the cover, all looking very serious, and a bunch of equally serious looking dudes on the back, holding cans of PBR.

My life changed after that...

Fri Apr 04, 2014 8:16 am Profile
 [ 15 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next