Last visit was: Sat Nov 22, 2014 11:28 am It is currently Sat Nov 22, 2014 11:28 am

[ 4 posts ] 
 Wanee 2013 musings... 
Wanee Veteran

Post Wanee 2013 musings...
One humble Wanee reporter checking in...

All in all, Wanee 2013 was mighty fine, mighty fine indeed. Crowd size was not as big as last year, when Further played, which was our first year... a considerably smaller crowd I would say. Last year there were times when the main road past the Mushroom stage was totally filled with festers and I couldn't even tell where to enter the amphitheater area... nowhere near that kind of sardine-ness this time.

Thursday was probably my favorite lineup, as I am a fool for that New Orleans vibe. The Voice of the Wetlands and Royal Southern Brotherhood both brought it. As did Hot Tuna. And Greyboy Allstars, that's some dayum sweet stuff right there! A killer evening of tunes all around.

The rain was a challenge on Friday for sure. The boy and I hung tough through it all, we had rain gear, but were pretty damp (and cold!) by the time the Brothers got through. Since Steel Pulse wasn't essential for us, we bailed on their late set and hightailed it for a dry bed at the motel. Very glad that the front eased on past enough that the rain was done by mid-Saturday morning. In an abundance of caution, I ran Mikey around Sat. AM to Lake City's finest purveyors* to grab a rain suit (which turned out to be unneeded), and a pair of cheapo waterproof clogs, which were essential, and a lifesaver for him. I let the kid do his own packing, so :roll: he only brought the sandals he wore to school on Thursday. I brought a pair of his regular sneakers, but with the wet Sat. grounds and cooler temps, he needed something waterproof for the mud and standing water. We dodged one there...

*Lake City's finest purveyors don't amount to much. Yeah there's Wally World, but no Kmart. No Target. No decent outdoors store. That Wally World seemed pretty lame, even by their standards. Sort of weird considering I-10 and I-75 cross here...

Back to the fest - the music kicked ass, in a nearly universally consistent way. I heard only a few things that did not meet my tastes. Surprises were nice: Artemus Pyle of Lynyrd Skynyrd was all over the fest, all weekend. Mickey Thomas turned up for the Voice of the Wetlands set on Thur, and slayed us with his signature tune from his Elvin Bishop days, Fooled Around and Fell in Love. Speaking of Voice of the Wetlands, a nice surprise for me was seeing Corey Duplechin on the bass ... I knew about Tab, Cyril, Monk, Jumpin' Johnny, and the incredible Johnny V being in this outfit, but I didn't know Corey was on board. Corey thumped the bottom for Chubby Carrier for many years, and I've seen him dozens of times. He's a great player, and a real sweetheart too. Good to see him lined up with such talent; he deserves it!

In the poorly kept secrets dept. were Skerik and Papa Mali, who joined forces with the amazing Galactic for the final fest set throwdown. And indeed, it was a righteous, smoking hot set. But this singer from The Revivalists? David Shaw? Dayum! Find of the weekend for me. He's one to watch, and I sure wished I could have cloned myself to not have missed the Revivalists' set, since I didn't plan on missing Blackberry Smoke's set either. Loved Blackberry Smoke btw, hadn't seen them before this weekend. Would love to see them do their full show; hopefully that will be soon. Too bad they were cut off a half hour early due to a three minute (admittedly heavy) shower. I thought that was a bit lame, but I ain't managing the stage, so...

What can be said about the headliners?? Fine stuff indeed; pretty much as good as it gets. Both the Brothers and Panic brought it. Quiero guitar? OK, there's Warren. And Derek. And Herring. And all at one fest. Many times, paired up one way or another. I think I saw all three on stage together at one point. Sheesh. Nuts good.

My favorites of the weekend were nostalgic: Leon Russell, and Maceo Parker. The old dudes do it with such style and panache... GREAT to see them both.

I'll have other thoughts as my brain cells get re-acquainted with one another ... that's it for now... feel free to add your thoughts ... this thread is for all to share, and to report the seemingly un-reportable ;) ........

Mon Apr 22, 2013 2:35 pm Profile
Wanee Master

Post Re: Wanee 2013 musings...
Nicely done, BB. I am sure others will add their thoughts once those actual thoughts clear the fog of the brain. Well, mine, anyway.

I'll have more to add later, but I would echo your thought about the Revivalists' vocalist with Galactic. In fact, I think that was the best set I've ever seen from Galactic.

I LOVE BOOMBOX.

The other knock-out for me was the vocalist and keyboard player for the Monophonics. I'm going to have to check out some of their stuff on archive or etree, because he is one of the best male singers I have ever heard.

Confession: I was not expecting much from Leon Russell.
I AM SUCH A FOOL! He was superb!

"Remember: music is a religion. You have to pray every day."
-- Jose' Luis "Cheo" Pardo, Los Amigos Invisibles

Mon Apr 22, 2013 3:26 pm Profile
Wanee Mushroom

Thanks for the great review! I'm so sad I couldn't be there-

Mon Apr 22, 2013 7:31 pm Profile
Wanee Pro

tieyourshoes51 wrote:
I'll have more to add later, but I would echo your thought about the Revivalists' vocalist with Galactic. In fact, I think that was the best set I've ever seen from Galactic.

I LOVE BOOMBOX.

That was definitely one of my favorite Galatic sets and I have seen them so many times.

I really wish Boombox had been a longer late night set, my friends saw them Thursday in O-town, said they played for two hours and the show was amazing.

Tue Apr 23, 2013 10:26 am Profile
 [ 4 posts ]