Last visit was: Sun Apr 20, 2014 10:34 pm It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 10:34 pm

[ 37 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Free Range Dogs 
Wanee Fan

Post Re: Free Range Dogs
That's my 78 Champagne edition with a weekender bed in back. It's been to every Wanee before this one, except it didn't make it in 2008. I was having carb problems and didn't want to risk getting stuck. SO we camped out of a 93' caddy (fun). This year we rented an RV because of wanting to take the Pup. We camp with her in the bus, but it would get too cramped after 4-5 days. I'm in Tampa Bay, where are you? Oh I see you're in Melburne. You should head over for busses across the skyway some year?

Wed Apr 24, 2013 9:27 pm Profile
Wanee Fan

I reread my post and I guess I sounded a little harsh in my reply. I just wanted to say that I've trained a couple of dogs and it was a crucial bonding time that couldn't have been missed for the world. The dog, myself, and my wife are all better together from it, and the pup put a lot of smiles on faces along the way :).... Wanee Love!!!

Wed Apr 24, 2013 11:45 pm Profile
Wanee Veteran

The amount of dogs in Waneetopia was ridiculous. I stepped in doggie poo about 3 times. In my opinion festivals are NOT the place for dogs unless you have a camper and can keep them inside AND you PICK UP AFTER THEM!!!!

There was one girl camped behind us that had a howling dog, it kept roaming around Waneetopia and when she started to "partake" she would freak out when she couldn't find it. I really enjoyed being in Waneetopia but the roaming dogs are one of the reasons that I won't be camping there again next year. :?

Thu Apr 25, 2013 8:03 am Profile
Wanee Lover

I saw a guy holding a little dog very close to the front of the peach stage. I was loud. Idiot.

Thu Apr 25, 2013 8:29 am Profile
Wanee Pro

WaneeVirgin wrote:
In my opinion festivals are NOT the place for dogs unless you have a camper and can keep them inside AND you PICK UP AFTER THEM!!!!

Well said

petewhit wrote:
I saw a guy holding a little dog very close to the front of the peach stage. It was loud. Idiot.

Agree, I wouldn't subject our dog to that noise level.

Thu Apr 25, 2013 8:49 am Profile
Wanee Master

The "rules" clearly say "no dogs" (service dogs excluded, of course). I also was surprised at how many there were.

On the ride home, I kept smelling something, but I couldn't figure it out. Not until I stopped at the rest area north of Wildwood on 75 did I discover that I had also landed squarely in some dog's poop, which the "owners" did not bother to clean.

I love dogs. I've always had one -- or two -- or three -- but I have no use for irresponsible pet owners.

"Remember: music is a religion. You have to pray every day."
-- Jose' Luis "Cheo" Pardo, Los Amigos Invisibles

Thu Apr 25, 2013 9:06 am Profile
Wanee Mushroom

fldead1 wrote:
That's my 78 Champagne edition with a weekender bed in back. It's been to every Wanee before this one, except it didn't make it in 2008. I was having carb problems and didn't want to risk getting stuck. SO we camped out of a 93' caddy (fun). This year we rented an RV because of wanting to take the Pup. We camp with her in the bus, but it would get too cramped after 4-5 days. I'm in Tampa Bay, where are you? Oh I see you're in Melburne. You should head over for busses across the skyway some year?

Hey, nice looking bus! Get that baby back to fuel injection, as it was meant to be, and those carb problems will go away!

Thu Apr 25, 2013 12:03 pm Profile
Wanee Veteran

fldead1 wrote:
My wife and I brought our dog. She never roamed free once. I would be totally devastated if she got lost from us. We have a medical necessity letter and she is also a therapy dog in training (pink vest "Gracie"). It was actually the perfect environment for the therapy dog training. You have to demonstrate that the dog can handle the large crowds and noise to get certified. She did fantastic. Actually better than she was in class tonight. She was only in the venue during the day and crated at night in the RV. We carry poop bags wherever we go and I do not leave it on the ground. We have over 100+ hours of training in so far and she has a long way to go. It all depends on the owner(s) and how responsible they are. We did get stopped going into the mushroom stage area on Thursday, to check her rabies tags and medical note, so the park was trying to stay on top of it, but yet still be accommodating. All in all it was a good experience.

I think you guys were camped behind us (your wife is Pepper, right?). You had a very good reason to bring Gracie and, as I can attest, you were EXTREMELY responsible dog owners (you brought doggie-ice cream....that's pretty awesome). Definitely a special case.

It stinks that there were so many untrained dogs (with irresponsible owners) running free. And even leashed dogs being a nuisance. I wouldn't even WANT to bring my dogs...too much to worry about (that's why I don't bring my kids :lol: )

I was a little surprised that they allowed non-service dogs. I thought it was a park-wide rule that you bring no pets (unless they're service pets). Did ALL those people claim that they had service dogs and nobody could question them about it?

I tell you one thing; you tell me another. We walk away, maybe then shake hands...

Thu Apr 25, 2013 2:08 pm Profile
Wanee Veteran

frenchiejess wrote:
It stinks that there were so many untrained dogs (with irresponsible owners) running free. And even leashed dogs being a nuisance. I wouldn't even WANT to bring my dogs...too much to worry about (that's why I don't bring my kids :lol: )

I was a little surprised that they allowed non-service dogs. I thought it was a park-wide rule that you bring no pets (unless they're service pets). Did ALL those people claim that they had service dogs and nobody could question them about it?

My impression of going to various events at SOSMP, operated by at least four different event producers over the last few years, is that the park has gotten way more lenient about dogs. Definitely more tolerated in camp areas, but I agree w/ others here that there were way too many large dogs within the fest area. I did not see any doggie vs. doggie dust-ups myself. I did have groups of people walk by my chair at the Peach stage, dogs in tow; it left me wondering WTF ARE YOU PEOPLE THINKING??? With the usual answer being: they aren't. :x

The need for service dogs is well established. There is apparently also another status of dog nowadays: therapy / companion animals. For folks who have various psychological disorders, the animal offers a calming prescence. Seems kind of a nebulous, poorly defined thing, and ripe for abuse by folks with the 'love me, love my dog' mindset. Perhaps the fest / park security folks haven't yet ironed out how to separate the legit dogs from the others, and so they just don't bother. I can see it being a tough thing to consistently police, if there are significant grey areas as to what is allowed...

Thu Apr 25, 2013 3:50 pm Profile
Wanee Wizard

I don't think we can question a person regarding their disability or for certification of service dogs. I got this from the ADA. http://www.ada.gov/qasrvc.htm

Q: How can I tell if an animal is really a service animal and not just a pet?

A: Some, but not all, service animals wear special collars and harnesses. Some, but not all, are licensed or certified and have identification papers. If you are not certain that an animal is a service animal, you may ask the person who has the animal if it is a service animal required because of a disability. However, an individual who is going to a restaurant or theater is not likely to be carrying documentation of his or her medical condition or disability. Therefore, such documentation generally may not be required as a condition for providing service to an individual accompanied by a service animal. Although a number of states have programs to certify service animals, you may not insist on proof of state certification before permitting the service animal to accompany the person with a disability.

So, if a person says "it's my service dog" their service dog it is...

Thu Apr 25, 2013 3:56 pm Profile
 [ 37 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next