Last visit was: Sat Nov 01, 2014 12:09 am It is currently Sat Nov 01, 2014 12:09 am

[ 38 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Help with fire prevention at the SOSMP 
Site Admin

Post Help with fire prevention at the SOSMP
Posted on FB by SOSMP:
"Hey Wanee fans... please help us spread the word. Even though we have had some decent rain, we are still in a severe drought in Florida. It's my understand that there will be ZERO tolerance for fireworks and particularly so called "sky lanterns" or flying luminaria at the festival. Don't ruin your weekend by even bringing them along. See you next week Wanee fans."

Everyone - please help the park by discouraging anyone you see using fireworks or the fire/sky lanterns. There have been problems in the past and as we all know, the lanterns have no final destination and can cause havoc for many. We have been very fortunate with all of the previous fests and allowed to have open camp fires and hope this will always be the case.

Please do your part - if you see anyone attempting to to use any of these, stand up and tell them not to endanger others with their carelessness. Anyone caught using them will be evicted immediately - as would be expected.

Have a safe Wanee and help keep it safe for everyone else!
Wanee on!!!!!!!!!!

What is your listening pleasure today? Find it at
AccuRadio

Deep Nuggets on Tunein Radio - Deep Nugs

And don't forget Deep Jams Radio on Tunein Deep Jams Radio

Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:37 am Profile
Wanee Master

Post Re: Help with fire prevention at the SOSMP
Agree 100%.....even in more wet conditions, I've always hated those fire lanterns. Sure they look pretty going up....you just never know where those suckers might come down and what damage may be the result.
Even campfires can be quite dangerous....clean out your area before starting a fire....or use a sort of chimenea (spelling?).
Bring a rake or shovel to clean your area. And put out your fires...don't just leave them and allow them to burn.

Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:47 am Profile
Wanee Pro

Rivernole wrote:
I've always hated those fire lanterns. Sure they look pretty going up....you just never know where those suckers might come down and what damage may be the result.

Their key to success is at the time of launch. Do not launch in windy conditions. And use auxiliary heat source to get a straight up and above the tree line in a hurry launch.
I've seen them when they float down, out of fuel. Other than litter, they are harmless.
That said, I won't bring any to Wanee. Conditions will most likely not be ideal middle of April.

Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:09 am Profile
Wanee Gnome

Spyderstan wrote:
Rivernole wrote:
I've always hated those fire lanterns. Sure they look pretty going up....you just never know where those suckers might come down and what damage may be the result.

Their key to success is at the time of launch. Do not launch in windy conditions. And use auxiliary heat source to get a straight up and above the tree line in a hurry launch.
I've seen them when they float down, out of fuel. Other than litter, they are harmless.
That said, I won't bring any to Wanee. Conditions will most likely not be ideal middle of April.

Spyderstan, your thoughtless attitude and reply reflects your ignorance of the whole subject. Idle ground winds are completely different than winds at 50+ feet, not all lanterns are created equally and to call them harmless in this thread is a slap in the face to the park.

Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:31 am Profile
Wanee Lover

Only YOU can prevent Wanee fires!

Last edited by GratefulThem on Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:52 am Profile
Site Admin

Hopefully we will all stay on subject and do our part to support the parks goal here about fire.

What is your listening pleasure today? Find it at
AccuRadio

Deep Nuggets on Tunein Radio - Deep Nugs

And don't forget Deep Jams Radio on Tunein Deep Jams Radio

Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:58 am Profile
Wanee Lover

Agreed waneelover. I have a fairly large group of friends that will help spread the word. Good job.

Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:01 am Profile
Wanee Master

GratefulThem wrote:
Agreed waneelover. I have a fairly large group of friends that will help spread the word. Good job.

Same here Bob & Doug, now if we could just get rid of the throwing of glow sticks before someone gets there eye put out :!:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nm039Hw45aw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_FCQwv82 ... r_embedded

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NBo_POKv21w

Last edited by Dartdog82 on Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:11 am Profile WWW
Wanee Fan

GratefulThem wrote:
Easy rose-colored. I am sure Spyderstan means well. We get it, no lanterns. Maybe he could have refrained a little bit but....

a real slap to the face is the charging of $200 bucks to use YOUR OWN GOLF CART. Greed. Pure and simple.
What about handicapped folks?

$200 is un heard of crazy. rose colored glasses take a chill pill everything will be ok, no need for name calling did not see where you became the wane dictator. :)

Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:12 am Profile
Wanee Gnome

My husband & I put out a fire at one festival, Springfest at SOSMP. These kids left their campfire burning & I looked over & everything was starting to go in flames. Luckily we had a hose & put it out without the officials having to get involved. It is just as easy to put sand over your campfire. ;)

Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:13 am Profile
 [ 38 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next