Last visit was: Sat Nov 01, 2014 12:08 am It is currently Sat Nov 01, 2014 12:08 am

[ 762 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43 ... 77  Next
 What's Your Next Show? 
Wanee Master

Post Re: What's Your Next Show?
mccjeff wrote:
mule4ever speaks the truth about BIG Something. We spent our NYE with them here in Raleigh. Very very good band. Highly recommend.

MarchFourth Marching Band early show and Rebirth Brass Band late show. But that was last night.

January is kind of slow. Les Raquet/Dangermuffin on 1/23 is a maybe.

But then it picks up at the end of the month all the way thru February.

1/30 - Lucero
1/31 - Big Head Todd
1/31 - Foothills Brewery Sexual Chocolate release (someone will play)
2/1 - Ringers (Jimmy Herring, Wayne Krantz, Michael Landau, Etienne Mbappe & Gary Novak)
2/4 - moe.
2/5 - Robin Hitchcock
2/6 - Bubonik Funk
2/7 - Everyone Orchestra
2/8 - Gov't Mule
2/8 - Larry Keel Power Trio
2/9 - Nicki Bluhm & the Gramblers
2/11 - Twiddle
2/12 - Toubab Krewe
2/13 - Lettuce
2/14 - Lake Street Dive
2/16 - Rebelution
2/19 - John Browns Body
2/20 - Tim Reynolds/TR3
2/22 - Cosmic Charlie
2/24 - Terry Bozzio
2/25 - Jerry Garcia Band Cover Band
2/28 - Mantras
2/28 - The Johnny Folsom 4

Bold are must see.

Damn, Mcjeff, that is awesome! I'd love to see Bozzio again.

"Remember: music is a religion. You have to pray every day."
-- Jose' Luis "Cheo" Pardo, Los Amigos Invisibles

Sat Jan 18, 2014 11:07 pm Profile
Wanee Master

LEGACY’S BIRTHDAY PARTY
HOLEY MISS MOLEY
GREEN SUNSHINE
Dunedin Brewery

I missed Legacy’s set at Hometeam New Year’s Rally, but I was not about to miss his birthday bash! The Brewery was jammed and jamming in his honor. Legacy is a looper in the vein of Keller and Zach Deputy. It is truly a treat to watch him do his one-man thing. On many songs, he begins with an acoustic guitar riff, perhaps a second guitar figure, then a bass part, adding percussion via mouth and microphone, and suddenly you are hearing an entire band.

The music began with Holey Miss Moley, a funk-rock-fusion sextet from Clermont. They were down a man for this set, but fortunately for everyone alto saxophonist Christian Ryan is back for good after a semester away. He is a great player who adds a great dimension to their sound, especially when keyboard player Chuck McIntire picks up his alto. Kenny Harvey had another excellent night on bass, as did drummer Antonio Morales, but, for me, this was guitarist Jacob Cox’s night. He was simply *on*. Everything worked right: the tight solos, the chunk chords, and everything in between. HMM alternated some fine originals and great covers, of which “Ain’t No Use” is my fav.

And then Legacy came up to join then for a few tunes. They have played together often and mesh seamlessly. When HMM was finished, Legacy did his thing. It was a joyous birthday celebration.

Green Sunshine closed the show. I have great respect for their musicianship, but their genre is just not my thing, so I made a (relatively) early night of it.

Sat Jan 18, 2014 11:33 pm Profile
Wanee Master

THE NEW MASTERSOUNDS
With special guest Roosevelt Collier
ORGONE
MONOPHONICS
Underbelly’s, Jacksonville
January 2, 2014

[Editor’s note: Actually, my pieces/blogs/articles are really just cheerleading! It is altruistic and selfish all at the same time. I certainly want to help wonderful musicians reach a wider audience, but it IS selfish, because I tell myself if I don’t help spread the word that many of these bands might just… disband.]

We were home for a quiet NYE, so I was thrilled to get the opportunity to travel to Jax for this unbelievable triple bill. Maybe the NSA knew whom I was Jones-ing to see! Plus, there was less of a likelihood of NYE revelers falling into drum sets and such (you can’t make that stuff up). Several people had commented that Underbelly’s was their favorite local spot. I can see why. The atmosphere and room layout were great and accommodated those who came to funk very well.

This was my third chance to experience Monophonics, and with each show I am simply knocked out (or, as I wrote in a review, “knocked down and picked back up again”). Kelly Finnigan and Monophonics can belt the soul with anybody. ANY. BODY. They match retro soul with wall-to-wall funk. “Are You Ready?” they ask. Hell, yes! How are you NOT ready for psychedelic soul with a soul belter preachin’ the gospel? It was a righteous performance.

On to Orgone. I had not seen them since Bear Creek 2012, if memory serves. I really enjoyed them every time before, but this was something special. Another level. Maybe this is how you have to elevate your game before you get on Jam Cruise. Maybe this is just the evolution of Orgone. Whatever. It was DYNAMITE. Audio TNT. They blew it up, using Monophonics’ spirited opener as a launching pad.

Sergio Rios is a magic front man and guitar player. Several of the songs in the set rocked and funked about as hard as is humanly possible. For me, the unsung hero of the set was bassist Tim Blum (Glum?). Tim put on one the greatest bass performances I’ve ever heard in skyrocketing every Orgone tune. He kicked everything into overdrive. It was a mesmerizing and uplifting set. Two awesome bands. Two awesome sets. On to the headliners. What’s left for them to do?

The New Mastersounds never seem to have a problem answering that question. They get so locked into a tune at times you’d swear they’ve done the Vulcan mind-meld. And Eddie Roberts is a genius. The entire trip from Tampa was worth it just to hear Roberts rip for ten minutes on “Morning Fly,” the second tune of the set. I am such a fan of the Grant Green – Phil Upchurch school of guitar, and Roberts has a Ph.D. Drummer Simon Allen’s time is remarkable.

Later in the set Roosevelt Collier joined the band for a few tunes. These guys have collaborated like clockwork before, most recently at Bear Creek, and I would rather see Roosevelt play than almost anyone on guitar. This particular sit-in was good, but it just did not get very far off the ground. That’s going to happen sometimes. They made the most of it anyway.

Great thanks to the New Mastersounds, Orgone, Monophonics and Roosevelt Collier for giving us a post-NYE, pre-Jam Cruise funking. We needed that!

Sun Jan 19, 2014 12:34 am Profile
Wanee Master

FUTURE VINTAGE
Yeoman’s Road Pub, Tampa
25 January 2014

I have written about Future Vintage several times. This trio has its feet firmly rooted in 70s fusion and funk and its head in the jamtronica clouds. Last night was a thing apart. The funk was so deep that hip boots were useless; you needed a full-body wader. I know I rave a lot, but my opinion was shared by many there last night, including the pirates and wenches bedecked in beads and pirate regalia celebrating the end of the Gasparilla parade and festivities. The boys were operating on a whole new level.

The most difficult part of the night was deciding which band we ought to go see. There were a bunch of great options in the area: Come Back Alice, Displace, Legacy, Holey Miss Moley and Serotonic, along with FV. Every one was a sure-fire great time. Linda selected FV, not in small part because she loves Yeoman’s Road, as do I. “Choose wisely, Grasshoppah!”

It was clear that Matt Giancola, Trevor McDonnel and Dean Rocco decided to go “all in” when they used “The Jibe” as their set-opener. That is the hippest tune on their CD, and that is where they chose to set the bar right out of the gate (I cannot seem to avoid sports metaphors). Everything seemed to work, culminating in a superb long take on Prince’s “1+1+1=3.” Bodies dancing, heads bobbing, feet tapping, everybody in sync.

Somehow, they found another gear for the second set, a two-hour extravaganza with lots of fun and surprises, including a joyful cover of Roger’s “More Bounce to the Ounce.” Their posters promise “dance-inducing electronic funk.” Now THAT’S what I call truth in advertising!

[There are a half-dozen FV shows up on archive. org now (I’ve been to four of ‘em!). This show will be posted soon, and I will rave about it AGAIN! You have been warned.]

Sun Jan 26, 2014 3:44 pm Profile
Wanee Lover

Moe, Nashville - 1/31 - if the weather holds off, since I'm traveling solo

Sun Jan 26, 2014 5:00 pm Profile
Wanee Pro

Hope you get to go!
grandmacracker wrote:

Sun Jan 26, 2014 5:14 pm Profile
Wanee Lover

gma wrote:
Hope you get to go!
grandmacracker wrote:

I will have an extra ticket Gma, come with?

Sun Jan 26, 2014 5:16 pm Profile
Wanee Fan

Next month I've got Bob Weir and Ratdog on the 20th and Railroad Earth on the 22nd. That should be a good weekend :)

Sun Jan 26, 2014 5:48 pm Profile
Wanee Master

grandmacracker wrote:

I will be glad to see moe. at Wanee. They were scheduled for St. Pete last year, then cancelled. When they went on tour again, they hit most of the places but didn't reschedule St. Pete.

WAH WAH WAH

Sun Jan 26, 2014 7:43 pm Profile
Wanee Lover

tieyourshoes51 wrote:
grandmacracker wrote:

I will be glad to see moe. at Wanee. They were scheduled for St. Pete last year, then cancelled. When they went on tour again, they hit most of the places but didn't reschedule St. Pete.

WAH WAH WAH

I'm not to keen to go solo on this, but that is the closest they come until Summercamp in Chilicothe. We did Summercamp the weekend Panic played back in 2011...rained I mean poured like a mofo and it was a great big mudfest. Moe was playing as well but too concerned with getting a rail spot, so didn't get to see them. I should have made the time, because I am really getting into this band. Hope the weather holds off, though it don't look too good. Never know, if I can't go back to Indiana I may head south to Statesboro for a while.

Next band I may go see is G Love. in Cincinnati at the 20th Century theater in Feb.

For sure on the list is HWA in Nashville in Feb. at Marathon Music Works.

Sun Jan 26, 2014 8:13 pm Profile
 [ 762 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43 ... 77  Next