Last visit was: Fri Oct 31, 2014 7:52 pm It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 7:52 pm

[ 762 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53 ... 77  Next
 What's Your Next Show? 
Wanee Master

Post Re: What's Your Next Show?
AURA

"Remember: music is a religion. You have to pray every day."
-- Jose' Luis "Cheo" Pardo, Los Amigos Invisibles

Wed Feb 12, 2014 10:26 pm Profile
Wanee Mushroom

Mule, Mobile Saenger!!

Thu Feb 13, 2014 8:27 am Profile
Wanee Master

DYNOHUNTER
BELLS & ROBES
FUTURE VINTAGE
The Crowbar, Ybor City (Tampa)

It is easy to get complacent, smug, sure that by now you’ve seen and heard EVERYTHING THERE COULD POSSIBLY BE TO SEE AND HEAR. Which is why it is good to get knocked down a few pegs via a mind-blowing performance now and then, one you simply were not expecting. Recent examples for me: Monophonics, Moon Hooch, Earphunk, Snarky Puppy, Rubblebucket and Space Capone. There are plenty more.

I had planned to see Indigenous at the wonderful Skipperdome when I saw that Future Vintage, a band I have raved about almost non-stop since October, was going to open for some band I knew nothing about: Dynohunter. Also: Shovels & Rope (which I had totally wrong; try Bells & Robes instead!). I listened online a bit and thought it would make for an adventure.

CLEAN-UP ON AISLE THREE!

I was spindled, folded and mutilated by Dynohunter! They melted my face and then finished the job. I ended up in a little puddle on the floor. Let me say that these boys are not for the faint of heart. The music online sounds good, but like most of the music loosely under the jam category, the recorded experience only hints at the power and majesty of the live performance.

I’m not fond of comparisons, for the most part, but consider this. Suppose you welded together the Dead Kenny Gs, Conspirator or Zoogma, and a great DJ (I’m partial to Craig Heneveld). The result would be Dynohunter, or pretty close. They bill themselves as “tribal electro and house” and “livetronica.” I was positive I was hearing seven guys on stage, but every time I looked there were only three. Justin Ehmer is a powerhouse drummer providing the backbone of the music. On top of his frenetic pounding, Fred Reiser’s bass and synth dance around the room. Meanwhile, Clark Smith is cheerleading as he presents produced music (this is above my tech grade) via computers and then punctuates every tune with his great tenor saxophone.

Spindled, folded AND mutilated. I sincerely hope that Bear Creek and AURA give these boys the look-see (OK, look-see-HEAR), because they just plain knocked me out!

The show opened with a band I was seeing for the eighth time since October: Future Vintage. As I have noted extensively elsewhere, they range from the Herbie-era fusion/funk to jamtronica with great jazz in the mix. They had two great shows in January, achieving what for me seemed like a new level, and they did not disappoint here, daring to open with a brand new tune that was tremendous. The rest of their set matched.

Bells & Robes is a DJ/drummer combo, but I believe the drummer was in England involved in soccer (OK, I can relate to THAT!). The DJ had a very nice set with a mixed bag of music without any mind-numbing hip-hop or dubstep (the author exposes his prejudices). The set was well received and offered a solid buffer between the two bands.

Just waiting for the next opportunity to get knocked down a peg or three. Should happen at AURA this weekend!!!

Thu Feb 13, 2014 9:11 am Profile
Wanee Pro

Todd Snyder @ skippers. A benifit for WMNF.org. it is a multimedia event. Short documentary, book reading, q&a and concert! If you live anywhere in central Florida .... GET YOUR TICKETS NOW!!!!

Thu Feb 13, 2014 10:21 pm Profile
Wanee Master

happycamper wrote:
Todd Snyder @ skippers. A benifit for WMNF.org. it is a multimedia event. Short documentary, book reading, q&a and concert! If you live anywhere in central Florida .... GET YOUR TICKETS NOW!!!!

This is a very cool event. And it is "seated." For most Skipper's shows, you just careen all over the place doing the beer-and-cigarette shuffle. There will be actual rows of actual seats for this event.

Thu Feb 13, 2014 11:07 pm Profile
Wanee Master

I am very excited about AURA, obviously. I could not make it there for tonight's festivities (and I really dig the Pets and Greenhouse Lounge), but I am SKY-HIGH pumped to see Displace open it up tomorrow (Friday) at 2. These Tampa boys are superb. If you will be at the park, please come out and check them out!

My reputation is riding on this!

OK, probably not, but you WILL love them!

Thu Feb 13, 2014 11:11 pm Profile
Wanee Master

But if I weren't going to AURA, I would ABSOLUTELY be at Ace's Lounge in Bradenton Saturday night to check out the astounding Kelly Richey on guitar with Freekbass and a great new drummer. I have seen her twice, and she is stunning. No other way to describe it.

Here's a peek. This was just put up yesterday and was recorded this week:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yebuFbQc ... 4-overview

Thu Feb 13, 2014 11:20 pm Profile
Wanee Lover

Little Debbie and I are going to Orlando this weekend to see Dark Star Orchestra on Fri. night and JB and Friends on Sat. night. :D

Tue Feb 18, 2014 3:35 pm Profile
Wanee Pro

I'm looking for recommendations for live music in the Ft. Myers area this weekend. Surfing the web I see Cedric Burnside Project is playing at the Victory Lane Cafe Sat. night. This will be my first time to visit Ft. Myers and I would appreciate any recommendations for live music or a cool bar that plays good music in the area. Thanks

Tue Feb 18, 2014 4:10 pm Profile
Wanee Veteran

tieyourshoes51 wrote:
happycamper wrote:

This is a very cool event. And it is "seated." For most Skipper's shows, you just careen all over the place doing the beer-and-cigarette shuffle. There will be actual rows of actual seats for this event.

How do you know where you will be seated, or are those still first come first serve. I am going to the Skipperdome Friday for SCOTS. I will probably buy my tix then.

Tue Feb 18, 2014 4:12 pm Profile
 [ 762 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53 ... 77  Next