Last visit was: Tue Jul 22, 2014 3:21 am It is currently Tue Jul 22, 2014 3:21 am

[ 682 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58 ... 69  Next
 What's Your Next Show? 
Wanee Fan

Post Re: What's Your Next Show?
Ribs-n-Whiskey wrote:
WSP accoustic at Ryman in Nashville in a couple of weeks followed by Bob Weir and Ratdog the next night at Ryman!!

Ribs!

Now THAT sounds like my kinda weekend. Enjoy!

Fri Feb 28, 2014 7:06 pm Profile
Wanee Fan

atlanta hippie wrote:
WANEEWANEEWANEE

Gotta love your focus and enthusiasm Atlanta Hippie :D

Fri Feb 28, 2014 7:08 pm Profile
Wanee Master

SEROTONIC
INFINITE GROOVE ORCHESTRA
Dunedin Brewery 02.08.14

CHILLYBONE
My Cousin Vinny’s Cigar Bar, Palm Harbor

A funny thing happened on the way to the Dunedin Brewery. Actually, I wasn’t QUITE on the way; I was taking one last look at Facecrack before heading out. I rarely pay any attention to that upper-right-hand column of what other people are doing, but out of the corner of my eye I saw: CHILLYBONE. Hold the presses! Really? I’ve known these two guys for years, both great players once part of a superb quartet who billed themselves as the Swinging Johnsons. I can’t verify the noun, but I’ll swear to the adjective; these guys were hot! And Palm Harbor is less than five miles from Dunedin! SCORE!

My Cousin Vinny’s Cigar Bar is as advertised, a gray haze permeating the atmosphere full of satisfied cigar connoisseurs. And in their midst were Daniel “Chilly Johnson” Harris on guitar and Tom “TBone Johnson” Hamilton on bass, doing what they do best: jazz standards. I only made it for the last set, but I was really glad to hear them again and to reconnect with friends. They sounded great and received nice applause throughout the set (maybe mine was a tad more raucous).

As we talked after the set, Daniel and Tom said they gave up playing “popular” music in favor of standards, and the reception has been great. Daniel said that these are songs they can approach with love and deliver likewise, and audiences appreciate that fact. This is truly encouraging.

After chatting, I jetted down to the Dunedin Brewery to see two of the very best jazz-funk (funk-jazz?) groups in the area: Serotonic and the Infinite Groove Orchestra. I was excited that Tbone also decided to come check out what the “young boys” were putting down.

IGO lead off, and from the start they were on fire. This quartet has been on the scene for seven years, but they are making an even bigger splash now with the injection of Josh Formanek on guitar. They rock, they funk, they fusion, and they jazz (are those verbs?). The rhythm section of Jon Shea and Adam Volpe on bass and drums provide real muscle for their repertoire, and Jonathan Richardson’s keyboards offer a full array of colors. I was blown away that they attempted Mahavishnu’s “Miles Away” and truly thrilled that they NAILED IT.

Then it was Serotonic’s turn. This wasn’t an opener/headliner deal. These bands are equal in stature, and either could have gone first. In fact, it finally occurred to me just how much the local bands support each other. I know that this has been happening everywhere for a long time, but for me it was an epiphany, albeit one that had been coming for a while. Musicians openly supporting each other on line, going to see each other perform, working to share bills such as this one. It was an incredibly gratifying revelation to me. These people GET IT. There is strength in numbers. It’s cooperation, not competition. And TBone coming to see the next generation further confirmed it. I’m just glad I am along for the ride.

Full disclosure: I enjoy Serotonic so much that I have seen them more than a dozen times over the past 18 months and hired them to play my daughter’s wedding. This night’s performance was again first-rate. The quintet also benefits from the recent infusion of Jon Tucker on alto sax. Tucker’s animated performance does not overshadow his talent. What a great night!

I’ll say it again: I’m just glad I am along for the ride!

"Remember: music is a religion. You have to pray every day."
-- Jose' Luis "Cheo" Pardo, Los Amigos Invisibles

Fri Feb 28, 2014 8:05 pm Profile
Wanee Master

tieyourshoes51 wrote:
I’m just glad I am along for the ride!

Glad you are too, Scott
if nothing other than for the revues...

Sat Mar 01, 2014 3:14 pm Profile
Wanee Master

Rivernole wrote:
tieyourshoes51 wrote:
I’m just glad I am along for the ride!

Glad you are too, Scott
if nothing other than for the revues...

That is very kind! I am SOOOOO far behind with reviews, and I am going to see Infinite Groove Orchestra at a new place in St. Pete (well, new to me) called Three Daughters Brewing (222 22nd Street South; music at 9) and then the Gasparilla Music Festival this weekend in Tampa.

LOS AMIGOS INVISIBLES

These boys are insane, assuming you like Latin disco funk, so you KNOW I'm there!

Evidence:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j31J2wUTDaY

Wed Mar 05, 2014 11:49 am Profile
Wanee Lover

Following the shadows of the skies or are they only figments of my eyes?
And I'm feeling close to where the race is run
Waiting in our boats to set sail, sea of joy

Wed Mar 05, 2014 12:29 pm Profile
Wanee Mushroom

Kari Jobe at the Fillmore Miami Beach! March 16th!

Wed Mar 05, 2014 1:09 pm Profile
Wanee Pro

Patrick Sweany blues jam -5 Spot
WSP at the Ryman
SIMO - 3rd and Lindsley (come check out SIMO after Ratdog at the Ryman you'll be glad you did)
Wanee

Wed Mar 05, 2014 1:18 pm Profile
Wanee Veteran

Next show:

NRBQ at the Funky Biscuit :D

Still digging TYS's great reviews. I'd be dead if I tried to write up all the great music I've seen lately... it's been a stellar year so far for me and the boy. It's barely started, and technically not even fest season yet, but I've already had a year's worth of amazing music!!

Working backwards, here's what I've done in 2014, nearly all of it w/ my son:
  • Jon Cleary at the Biscuit
  • Virginia Key Grassroots Fest
  • Three nights of Railroad Earth in DC / Va
  • Irish Rovers, their very last tour (been seeing them for years)
  • Verlon Thompson and Sue Cunningham doing their song cycle, Find Your Angel
  • Band of Heathens at the Biscuit
  • 30A Songwriter Fest (Seaside FL) - amazing collection of songsters
  • ...and Donna the Buffalo at Skippers to start the year

*whew*

I feel blessed... may you all recognize the gift that music brings in lightening our load (if only for a short time), and the community that comes from sharing it ... 8-)

Wed Mar 05, 2014 4:51 pm Profile
Wanee Master

beach bob wrote:
Next show:

NRBQ at the Funky Biscuit :D

Still digging TYS's great reviews. I'd be dead if I tried to write up all the great music I've seen lately... it's been a stellar year so far for me and the boy. It's barely started, and technically not even fest season yet, but I've already had a year's worth of amazing music!!

Working backwards, here's what I've done in 2014, nearly all of it w/ my son:
  • Jon Cleary at the Biscuit
  • Virginia Key Grassroots Fest
  • Three nights of Railroad Earth in DC / Va
  • Irish Rovers, their very last tour (been seeing them for years)
  • Verlon Thompson and Sue Cunningham doing their song cycle, Find Your Angel
  • Band of Heathens at the Biscuit
  • 30A Songwriter Fest (Seaside FL) - amazing collection of songsters
  • ...and Donna the Buffalo at Skippers to start the year

*whew*

I feel blessed... may you all recognize the gift that music brings in lightening our load (if only for a short time), and the community that comes from sharing it ... 8-)

I agree! We seem to be in extraordinary times, or a music vortex or something. There have been so many fine performances! That's a nice list! I bet the Rovers were off the charts!

Wed Mar 05, 2014 10:16 pm Profile
 [ 682 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58 ... 69  Next