Last visit was: Fri Oct 31, 2014 9:07 pm It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 9:07 pm

[ 762 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59 ... 77  Next
 What's Your Next Show? 
Wanee Master

Post Re: What's Your Next Show?
AURA FESTIVAL SATURDAY
Spirit of the Suwannee Music Park, Live Oak 02.15.14

Friday was a raging success at AURA, despite the necessity of shuffling the schedule due to weather problems farther north. Daryl Wolf and his band of merry men and women took lemons and made outstanding fermented lemonade. The brief storm late Friday night gave way to magnificent skies Saturday morning and very mild conditions.

Pigeons Playing Ping Pong, a Baltimore outfit that was able to trudge through the tundra, mile after mile to get to Florida, made the most of this opportunity with the lead-off slot at the Amphitheatre. And immediately the quartet propelled all the early music-goers into deep funk space with their psychedelic funk grooves. Not to mention the matching pants that were beyond description! As I mentioned earlier, the theme of their show comes from one of their songs: “’cause all I wanna do is F-U-N-K!” I am giddy in anticipation of their upcoming swing through Florida!

Superhuman Happiness has been getting a lot of airplay on JamOn! (SiriusXM 29). I wasn’t knocked out by the radio tunes, but we all know the live performance is the thing. True to form, this seven-piece collective, part of the Roayl Potato family, had a fresh, clean, diverse sound that was perfect for the beautiful afternoon.

Then I drifted into the music hall to learn about Polyester Pimpstrap; I had never managed to see them before. I see they have been working as a trio recently, but a former member joined them after five (?) years away. Their website says “jamband booty music.” No argument from me. These guys sounded great! And I would say here what I would say about every musician at the festival: all of them were having an absolute blast!

The snow had delayed Conspirator by a day, and Kung Fu’s slot was open, since they were totally snowed in. Mike Dillon graciously moved his set to the earlier slot to accommodate. Dillon is an acquired taste, and I get that some people NEVER acquire it. Others [read: ME] cannot get enough. Mike Dillon Band, Garage a Trois, Dead Kenny Gs – I’ll see him every time. There may be artists you may like better, but I guarantee that NOBODY BUT NOBODY brings it harder than Mike Dillon. He is a manic maniac, the only way I can describe him as he plays the vibes and percussion, raps, prances around the stage and sings “Carly Hates the Dubstep” (no crowd-surfing this time). And Carly! Carly Meyers is a pixie-fied whirling dervish who plays trombone and percussion and flits around the stage like a mayfly.

Truth be told, I wasn’t thinking a lot about Marco Benevento’s upcoming set, even though I’ve seen him before and he sat in briefly with Dillon, a bandmate in Garage a Trois. WRONG AGAIN! Benevento delivered an uplifting, fun, funky set that captivated me so much I forgot to see Jimkata in the music hall (fortunately, they too are making a Florida run).

At the start of a remarkable bunch of music I saw and heard in July of 2012 (review still percolating), I saw Serotonic at the Dunedin Brewery. In between their great sets, the sound man (who does a great job with the live mix) was playing something that sounded like Jimmy Herring, or, WOW, I don’t know, but it was so good! Turns out it was Dopapod. I ordered several CDs and finally got to see them a couple of times. Now I was going to get two more sets in two days! And they delivered big time. Their website describes them as an electronic band without computers, a band that improvises. The sound is fresh and clean. Feels like I have used that phrase before, but it applies to many in the stable of artists we enjoy seeing at these festivals. It certainly beats old and stale!

Now I was torn. Particle was looming ahead, but I was dying to see Future Rock. I have listened to their CD “Gears” for years, really enjoying that jamtronic mix of keyboards, bass and drums. I was delighted! And so were they; you could see how much fun they were having on stage in the music hall. Right decision, even if it meant missing part of the Particle set.

The standard I look for is when the music is, “in the moment, as good as it gets,” when it sends me to musical nirvana. Almost every band at AURA had at least a few of these moments if not more. Particle had a sequence of tunes in the middle of the set for more than half an hour where I felt like I was just floating. It didn’t hurt that I was over near the guy on the other side of the fence breathing fire (via some alcoholic liquid)! I was surprised to see that the captain of the ship, Steve Molitz, had a new rhythm section in addition to guitarist Ben Combe, but you would never have known that; the set was seamless.

Time for more decisions. Papadosio was back at the Amphitheatre for night two, but Cope was gearing up in the music hall. I stayed for the beginning of the Papadosio set, a match for Friday’s great show, before walking toward the music hall. Once again, I was waylaid by some Heavy Pets at the BLP Vibe Tent (last night it was Fat Mannequin). This time, the Pets’ subset was Lather Up! featuring Jim Wuest on keys, Jamie Newitt on drums and Tony D’Amato on bass. The trio was joined by Pets’ guitar player Jeff Lloyd and Mike Greenwell from Lotus! How can you be in two places at once when… well, I was just going to be late to the Cope show. These guys were funking the place UP! Finally, I tore myself away to see the Hometeam boys, Cope.

I think this was my 25th show, and I have no problem declaring that it was my favorite of all of them. This was a monster performance from all four members, and the music hall was jammed and jamming! It was gratifying to see so many newcomers to Cope discovering what this quartet can do. They blew up one of the fan favorites “Shake Anything > Shakedown Street > Shake Anything.” Hell, yeah!

And back outside for Conspirator. I am a huge Disco Biscuits fan, and I love seeing Magner and Brownstein in any capacity (although I could sure use a Bisco fix), and Chris Michetti is insane. Just insane. There were so many fabulous guitar players this entire weekend, and Michetti is one of the very best anywhere – a true underrated talent. Conspirator had a long segment that started, I think, with “Velvet Red” and just kept blasting toward the stratosphere. As good as it gets. Again.

Lotus. Lotus Lotus. Clearly, they had picked up on the weekend’s themes of funk and dancing. As they hit the amphitheatre stage, somebody said, “We’re gonna keep it funky if that’s all right with you!” And the fans went wild! Their hypnotic trance-dance music reels you in and twirls you every which way. A.G.A.I.G.! It was pure heaven.

The chilly temperatures induced many to head back inside to see The Werks prove they deserved this late-night slot. Frankly, I wasn’t expecting much, even though I have seen them and enjoyed them before. WRONG ONCE AGAIN! They were tremendous, and for me Chris Houser’s guitar stood out. And folks were somehow still on their feet dancing. Me? I might be the best chair dancer ever!

A glutton for punishment, I headed to the silent disco for just a WEE bit more. Semantiks was rocking the house, but I was really impressed with Scott Solomon, who was providing just what I needed before I dragged myself back to the tent in anticipation of day three!

"Remember: music is a religion. You have to pray every day."
-- Jose' Luis "Cheo" Pardo, Los Amigos Invisibles

Thu Mar 06, 2014 12:37 am Profile
Wanee Master

FUTURE VINTAGE
Yeoman’s Road Pub 02.21.14

You know, I really had not planned to review this show. Not because it wasn’t great, because it was, but I have reviewed them a half-dozen times since first seeing them in October. Obviously, I am impressed. Also, this was the first of four concerts in a row, and I am SOOO far behind with my reviews.

But I AM reviewing the show, because this was the night I became aware of something that has been happening in music scenes all over, including here in the Tampa area; it is just something I had not recognized before. Future Vintage, you will recall, does the jamtronic funk thing, one foot in Herbie Hancock and the other squarely in funky EDM. These boys make you dance!

They were off to another great night. During the second set, I noticed Jon Shea drift in. Jon plays bass in the jazz-funk collective Infinite Groove Orchestra. He took a seat and listened approvingly (I’m not a mind-reader, but I think I could tell!) as Future Vintage piled the funk high and wide. Then Chris Sgammato walked in and sat down with me. Chris plays guitar and alto saxophone and sings in the funk-jazz group Displace. I know I am late to the party, but I finally understood how these young men are working to support each other.

I had noticed it earlier when a couple of the groups would pair themselves up for an evening (Serotonic and FV, Serotonic and IGO, and there have been others). They understand that there is strength in unity. This is cooperation, not competition. I was impressed.

I was even more impressed when the third set began with Trevor McDannel moving to synth bass pad, Shea on bass and Sgammato on alto. They were working through a languid take on “More Bounce to the Ounce” that somehow morphed closer to Hancock’s “Ostinato (Suite for Angela).” It was sublime. My only regret was that my friends who had come out to see FV again after hearing them at Skipper’s had to leave and missed this great collaboration. Well played, gentlemen! Well played!

Thu Mar 06, 2014 10:06 am Profile
Wanee Master

Now that I'm on a roll, here are a few videos of a spectacular band from Venezuela playing Saturday at the Gasparilla Music Festival in Tampa. I have seen them three times. They are unbelievable: LOS AMIGOS INVISIBLES! Disco funk!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fyvXrdXog4Y

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wtCMp6HadHs

Fri Mar 07, 2014 11:50 am Profile
Wanee Pro

Wood Brothers @ 3rd and Lindsley or White Denim @ Mercy Lounge both sat. night gotta flip a coin to decide. TGIF

Fri Mar 07, 2014 5:36 pm Profile
Wanee Master

tieyourshoes51 wrote:
Now that I'm on a roll, here are a few videos of a spectacular band from Venezuela playing Saturday at the Gasparilla Music Festival in Tampa. I have seen them three times. They are unbelievable: LOS AMIGOS INVISIBLES! Disco funk!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fyvXrdXog4Y

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wtCMp6HadHs

BUMP

If you are heading to the Gasparilla Music Festival Saturday, be sure to check out Los Amigos Invisibles at 6 PM. These are magnificent, assuming you like Latin disco-funk (which I LOVE). Even if you don't, just come by for a few minutes to see how awesome they are as musicians, especially guitarist Jose' Luis "Cheo" Pardo, one of the best players with the cleanest lines. I'll be easy to spot: front and center!

Fri Mar 07, 2014 9:44 pm Profile
Wanee Master

AURA MUSIC FESTIVAL
SoSMP 02.16.14

Finally, day three of the great AURA festival. You know I am all about the music, but sometimes that is to the exclusion of friends, a failing on my part. There have been suggestions in the past that TieYourShoes belonged in a category with the Loch Ness monster and Sasquatch – rumors without substantiation.

I determined this festival to do better, and my reward was time well spent with a bunch of brothers and sisters. The list is too long, and I’m bound to forget a lot, but Winston, Capt Brian and the Gov’nah could help me compile a list! Thanks to all who shared their wonderful hospitality. THAT’S how we roll!

Day 1 started with an excellent set from Displace; Day 2 kicked off the funkin’ with Pigeons Playing Ping Pong. Could Day 3 match up? Turns out, the answer was: ABSOLUTELY! Lucky Costello, a Jacksonville band, came out blazing with a piano-driven attack and a tremendous opening set (and with a go-go dancer besides!). It was another wonderful, beautiful afternoon in the north Florida woods, and Lucky Costello took full advantage of the set-up. I’m looking forward to Round Two!

From the porch stage, we rolled down to the amphitheatre to check out Earphunk. They knocked me out twice at Bear Creek 2012, so I was ready, and so were they. More funky New Orleans boys, they had everybody dancing. My favorite moments were when they hit some sweet Afropop. What a blast!

I noted after Bear Creek that there wasn’t a single band I saw I wouldn’t want to see again. I’d say the same about AURA, with ONE exception: Catfish Alliance. You know, musically they weren’t bad, although nothing special. However, if you’re trying to impress a mid-afternoon crowd of dancers, encouraging them to stay on their feet and get closer to the stage, you should probably reconsider babbling stuff like this: “I like the way y’all are dancing! It makes my dick move.” WOW. Looked like a perfect opportunity to walk back to camp for a beer with Trevor and Harry.

The Werks had the next amphitheatre slot and had apparently recovered from their late-night romp in the music hall the previous night. It was the perfect antidote for that earlier poison. They were in perfect sync, driving us toward sundown and a second helping of Dopapod. Both bands seemed to buoy those who had funked, danced and partied hard the past three days. This was another great Dopapod show, and from there it only made sense gather together at the amphitheatre for Lotus one more time.

Lotus proved again that they were worthy of the closing slot. Their sound is so clean and funky and sinuous and captivating. It was the perfect end to a near-perfect weekend! Except that it WASN’T the end!

Back at the campfire in Waneetopia, word came that the Funky Nuggets, who had one of the happy hour slots on Thursday for the early birds, were setting up their silent sirkus. They have invested in a full set of silent disco headphones and equipment. Scrogg and Ms. Scrogg and I tettered in the direction of the Funky Nuggets. Right PAST them the first time, actually, but finally we were on location. They were taking a while getting the band set up to play. In the interim, two DJs were spinning their stuff on the two available channels. I only know that the one guy (and I swore I would remember his name – NOT) started with a lengthy James Brown mix that just got tastier and tastier. After an hour, though, and still no band, I’m blaming the Gov’nah’s ‘shine. I was done baked. Put a fork in me. NIGHT NIGHT.

I will never miss Bear Creek or AURA. Thank you Paul Levine and Daryl Wolff and your cast of hundreds making our lives just that much better! {OK. Never say ‘never,’ but I sure mean to try!]

Mon Mar 10, 2014 10:40 pm Profile
Wanee Master

At some point, I'm going to get voted off the island. But until then...

GASPARILLA MUSIC FESTIVAL
Tampa 03.08.14 & 03.09.14

Reviewing a festival that has one primary focus (funk, blues, acoustic, bluegrass) is relatively simple, assuming you like that genre or similar musical styles. It is much more challenging with a festival as diverse at GMF. This is the third year of the festival and the first time it has stretched to two days. Because it is in downtown Tampa, this is strictly a day event: no camping, late-night music and the like.

It is even harder when you miss a lot of the music. So this doesn’t really count as a review; it is just a series of thoughts about performances I did see. And then it gets harder still, because there were performances in genres that just don’t move me. There are bands and musicians I saw briefly, and for me that was enough, but know that the stages were well attended for all of the sets I saw or wandered through.

SATURDAY

I arrived Saturday in time to catch guitar slinger Anders Osborne. I wish I could say that he excites me musically, but this was at least the third time I’ve seen him. No sparks for me. I headed over to check out Roddy Walston and the Business. They were having fun, as were their fans, but, again, no sparks for me. Perhaps I’m a dud. I wasn’t excited about Adrian Younge’s Venice Dawn, either. But seriously, that is on me, not any of them.

Conversation later in the evening:
ME: I’m not sure I would have come if Los Amigos Invisibles had not been playing.
KATIE: Me, too!
ME: In fact, I would have come if they were the ONLY band!
KATIE: Me, too!

So know that in this matter I cannot be objective. At what they do, Los Amigos Invisibles are better than anybody. PERIOD. Disco-funk, Venezuelan-style. I’m not sure if there was an outrageous dance party going on farther back in the crowd, because I was right up front. It LOOKED pretty outrageous, as far back as I could see!

LAI are the funkiest, slinkiest, sexiest sextet in my world. This was my fourth show, and once again they took me to musical nirvana – as good as it gets. The people surrounding me would agree. In fact, right before they came on, I asked three young people near me (everybody’s young to me!) if they had ever seen LAI. They said NO. I said: prepare yourself for a religious experience. I saw them dancing right behind me halfway through the set. “What did I tell you?” They all just nodded in time, for the remainder of the set!

In looking for their names for this cheerleading report, I chose a CD that LAI had all autographed before. One had written this: “Remember: music is a religion. You have to pray every day.” Amen to that! Oddly enough, it was penned by “Cheo,” the band’s guitar player, except that “Cheo” wasn’t there! But his replacement was very good (and deserved to be a little louder in the mix). And the boys took the crowd to pandemonium level when they slammed into “Ponerte en Cuatro,” arguably their most popular tune.

I had planned to go check out Delta Spirit, but there were several small stages giving some local bands half-hour slots. I was drawn in by a quartet from Sarasota using every ounce of energy to bring their music to life. It was riveting. I couldn’t move. I only know that half an hour wasn’t nearly enough. Whatever you think the name Sons of Hippies conjures up music wise, it doesn’t. But they were arresting. I need more.

Then it was time to sit back and chill a bit with DJ RJD2. He had a diverse mix of EDM music that had people dancing and smiling. It was adequate and occasionally inspiring. And we came to the first night’s finale, the highly touted Flaming Lips.

OK. Be honest. If you had your eyes closed, what did you think of the music? Me? Meh. Ultimately, it was simply not compelling. Visually, of course, it was stunning. Wayne Coyne was singing from atop a pedestal/lecturn/crow’s nest sort of affair all bedecked with strings of lights. It was impressive. I moved down front for a while for a better view. I think I know when he lost me. He explained that they were going to play a very sad song, but that we shouldn’t be sad. Too deep for me, and I found the song (eyes closed) boring. Again, that is just my take on things. Enough.

SUNDAY

Late again, but by my count just in the nick of time. The Soul Rebels Brass Band were KILLING IT. These New Orleans boys are a moveable party. Six horns and two percussionists were throwing down funk, jazz, soul and a bit of hip-hop, all with that Crescent City joy and enthusiasm. I have been formulating an article about the new definition of the big band. I had four bands in mind; now I have five. They were also very gracious with their time afterward, welcoming and signing a CD for me.

I loved Jason Isbell when he was raising heck with former bandmates the Drive-By Truckers. I appreciate that he has a very different focus now, and I acknowledge his talent, but, once again, there were no sparks for me. On one of the little stages, however, sparks WERE flying as Florida Night Heat (from Tampa) was making the most of their half-hour slot, whipping those in the vicinity into a frenzy, pouring themselves into their rocking, funky set. Their Facecrack page says: "Psych-stoner rock/power grime trio." Well, quartet for this outing. I need more of them, too!

I have been waiting for years to see Tea Leaf Green. At least seven, I think. Finally, and worth the wait! This was jam! A great quintet + a great set + a great afternoon + many friends = heaven. (math equation, not new!) And it was great to reconnect with Mike Coe and Katie and get to know Mathew and Thomas better!

Trombone Shorty and Orleans Avenue always bring New Orleans to you and then take you back to New Orleans with them. The band rocks, and Trombone Shorty is talented and charismatic. It was the perfect way to close down the third annual Gasparilla Music Festival. Bravo to Phil Benito and all the folks of GMF who made Tampa shine!

Mon Mar 10, 2014 11:56 pm Profile
Wanee Master

TYS, you really should start a thread for you show reviews. That way they will be all in one place. I really do enjoy reading them.

Tue Mar 11, 2014 3:29 am Profile
Wanee Veteran

patch and paste them tye use to be a big fan of salsa music. there was not much else to listen to when i lived in latin america. next up is the springfest next wk.

Tue Mar 11, 2014 7:56 am Profile
Wanee Wizard

I believe we're going to see Hot Day at the Zoo in April... AFTER Wanee... check them out, they're fun!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_SpvT3_U9ds

Tue Mar 11, 2014 11:33 am Profile
 [ 762 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59 ... 77  Next