Last visit was: Fri Oct 24, 2014 8:46 am It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 8:46 am

[ 6 posts ] 
 Doug Irwin bass returns to Pete Sears after 35(!!!) years 
Wanee Veteran

Post Doug Irwin bass returns to Pete Sears after 35(!!!) years
I trust some of y'all will appreciate this cool and completely improbable story about a one-of-a-kind bass that found its way back to its rightful owner, Pete Sears. The bass is a Doug Irwin, made by Luthier Tom Lieber, who worked with Doug and co-designed Jerry Garcia's custom guitars... The bass was conceived after Jerry's Wolf, and just preceding Tiger; it uses some of the same wood that was used on Tiger.

Pete was on tour in Germany with Jefferson Starship back in 1978 when it was lost; Starship unfortunately did not perform at a festival due to Grace Slick evidently being both piss drunk and having a stomach virus. Their non-performance precipitated a riot, in which all of the equipment was either stolen, tossed off a cliff, or burned. Decades later, it turned up, owned by a German dude who did not know its provenance, but who saw fit to let Pete have it back, once a connection had been established...

The story of the Euro tour and debacle with Grace is here; while long, it's entertaining and well worth reading... ahh, the crazy world of rock'n'roll ~
http://www.gotarevolution.com/lorelei.htm

The story of the bass' homecoming occurs on the RUKind / Grateful Dead forum... there's some cool pics to check out there too ~
http://www.rukind.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=346&t=7366

Lastly, you can see this bass in person (and Pete's awesome playing) at your nearest upcoming Moonalice gig. He's touring with it. They are a cool band; quite festive in a semi-laid back way. Rock on folks 8-)

Tue May 28, 2013 12:58 pm Profile
Wanee Master

Post Re: Doug Irwin bass returns to Pete Sears after 35(!!!) year
This makes me smile. And MoonAlice ain't half bad!

Tue May 28, 2013 1:52 pm Profile
Wanee Master

I've been following that story on facecrack. It is truly amazing and uplifting.

"Remember: music is a religion. You have to pray every day."
-- Jose' Luis "Cheo" Pardo, Los Amigos Invisibles

Tue May 28, 2013 3:28 pm Profile
Wanee Lover

Yeah, saw that a few weeks ago. Thought I had posted it here but it must have been somewhere else.

Tue May 28, 2013 7:59 pm Profile
Wanee Veteran

tieyourshoes51 wrote:
It is truly amazing and uplifting.

Indeed it is. I am sort of over worshiping specific models of guitars and / or their history. But that particular bass is pretty darn historic, especially if you're an aging Deadhead / part time hippie like me :D

Wed May 29, 2013 10:11 am Profile
Wanee Pro

Wow... this is truly AMAZING!! Makes my heart smile... ( :

Thanks for posting this.

Thu May 30, 2013 12:59 am Profile
 [ 6 posts ]