Last visit was: Tue Sep 30, 2014 7:52 am It is currently Tue Sep 30, 2014 7:52 am

[ 26 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Any Vermont Waneeans out there? 
Wanee Lover

Post Re: Any Vermont Waneeans out there?
Jensen B Gator wrote:
I hope Starkville VT is better than Starkville MS. ;)

As a proud Bulldog from Mississippi State... I completely agree with your statement.

Tue Jun 11, 2013 3:42 pm Profile
Wanee Wizard

Let us know if head east from VT Rev!

Tue Jun 11, 2013 4:52 pm Profile
Wanee Veteran

I'm here! I'm here!

OOOohhh, VT is the greatest in the summer!!!

I second the Ben & Jerry's suggestion. Tours are super cheap and you get ice cream at the end.

Sadly, the Alchemist location in Waterbury was a casualty of TS Irene a few years ago and never re-opened. It's now called Prohibition Pig and I hear it's great, but a bit higher end. The good news is that Heady Topper is sold in select stores (on a very limited basis because they can fresh and it sells out quickly) so you can bring it home. :) You can also go to their cannery in Waterbury. I've never been, but I may when I go up in a couple weeks.

Another great beer place is Three Penny Taproom in Montpelier. Great, great variety of local beers. Montpelier is a great town to hang out in (and the only state capitol without a McDonalds).

The drive from Waterbury to Stowe on rt. 100 is beautiful in a very fancy sort of way. But the drive on rt. 100 southbound is great in a "small-town VT" way.

Stop in Waitsfield (hometown of Grace Potter, woot!) and look around. If you're coming from Starksboro, you can take rt 17 over the Appalachian Gap (great drive) and it will bring you right into town to rt 100. If you're there on a Saturday, they have an awesome farmer's market. There's a lot of great shops and restaurants. Mad Taco is great and has a great beer selection (they are co-owned by a couple of the Three Penny guys, I believe). Lareau Farm is the home of American Flatbread Pizza (although there are a few other flatbread restaurants around the state). If you follow rt 100 just past Lareau Farm, there's a great swimming hole on the left.

The next town in Warren, which is a great little artsy town full of old hippies. Go down through Warren Village and stop at the Warren store. Then sit on the deck and relax right above the Mad River. Magical.

If you continue South, you'll pass through the Granville Gulf, a nature preserve where you very well might see a moose. As you drive through the windy roads, picture it covered in snow and ice and picture me driving this way to school....every...single...day. Granville is a tiny little town, with not much of note, except for the fact that it's where I grew up. :)

Rochester, is a nice little New England town with a great cafe, and a town green. There's a convenience store called Skip Mart. Stop there and get a creemee (soft serve ice cream). You can get creemees everywhere, but you should get one there because they're the best.

The drive down rt 7 (west of Starksboro) is nice too, although it IS straighter and flatter. That will bring you through Charlotte, Middlebury & Brandon, all of which are beautiful towns to wander around in.

And yes, Burlington (Church Street specifically) is fantastic, and one of Owllover's favorite places.

Okay....that's all I have for now.....

In the clearing stands a boxer and a fighter by his trade and he carries the reminders of every glove that laid him down and cut him till he cried out in his anger and his shame, "I am leaving, I am leaving"...

...But the fighter still remains.

Wed Jun 12, 2013 3:14 pm Profile
Wanee Lover

I was at Alchemist just before Irene. Awesome little place. I was meaning the cannery where they have a tasting/tap room I think. Or so the web site implies.

In Burlington Three Needs Taproom & Brewery and The Farmhouse Tap & Grill are both pretty awesome drinking establishments. There is a Zero Gravity Brewery/American Flatbread there also. Be sure and check to see who is playing at Nectar's.

For James Beard Award winning french fries go to Al's French Frys. They may only accept cash.

1251 Williston Road
South Burlington, VT 05403 (I89 Exit 14E)
(802) 862-9203 Ext. 4
[url]frys@alsfrenchfrys.com[/url]

There is still an actual A&W drive-in in Middlebury. Sadly they don't rollerskate. But get a rootbeer float and time travel back to your youth.

1557 Route 7 S
Middlebury, VT 05753

And the drive S on 100 from Waterbury is one of my favorite drives ever. As a southern boy the thought of that drive chest deep in snow every day scared me plenty.

Wed Jun 12, 2013 3:44 pm Profile
Wanee Master

mccjeff wrote:
They may only accept cash.

And that is if you show your ID Hugh :lol: :lol:

Wed Jun 12, 2013 4:01 pm Profile
Wanee Veteran

mccjeff wrote:
I was at Alchemist just before Irene. Awesome little place. I was meaning the cannery where they have a tasting/tap room I think. Or so the web site implies.

In Burlington Three Needs Taproom & Brewery and The Farmhouse Tap & Grill are both pretty awesome drinking establishments. There is a Zero Gravity Brewery/American Flatbread there also. Be sure and check to see who is playing at Nectar's.

For James Beard Award winning french fries go to Al's French Frys. They may only accept cash.

1251 Williston Road
South Burlington, VT 05403 (I89 Exit 14E)
(802) 862-9203 Ext. 4
[url]frys@alsfrenchfrys.com[/url]

There is still an actual A&W drive-in in Middlebury. Sadly they don't rollerskate. But get a rootbeer float and time travel back to your youth.

1557 Route 7 S
Middlebury, VT 05753

And the drive S on 100 from Waterbury is one of my favorite drives ever. As a southern boy the thought of that drive chest deep in snow every day scared me plenty.

Yes! Al's AND A&W!!!!!

BTW- I'm flying up to VT 2 weeks from today....and I will be stopping by MANY of these establishments!

Oh, and many convenience stores (especially in the Waterbury to Warren area) have Green Mountain Coffee Roasters coffee. Lots of it. Hot, Iced, flavored, etc. Whenever we go up, Jason & I stay highly caffeinated the entire time.

Oh, and Nectar's, yes. Their Gravy Fries are legendary. (It's also where Phish got their start)

In the clearing stands a boxer and a fighter by his trade and he carries the reminders of every glove that laid him down and cut him till he cried out in his anger and his shame, "I am leaving, I am leaving"...

...But the fighter still remains.

Wed Jun 12, 2013 4:13 pm Profile
Wanee Lover

I stayed pretty caffinated the entire time too. Green Mountain soooo good local.

Wed Jun 12, 2013 7:41 pm Profile
Wanee Master

;)

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nm039Hw45aw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_FCQwv82 ... r_embedded

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NBo_POKv21w

Wed Jun 12, 2013 8:07 pm Profile WWW
Wanee Lover

Great travel tips! I'll try to do them all. Driving up from Hartford today, on a hippy hunt! Birds of a feather are flocking outside.

There are things that music can do that language could never do, that painting can never do, or sculpture. Music is capable of going directly to the source of the mystery. It doesn't have to explain it. It can simply celebrate it.(and make you dance your azzoff!)

Thu Jun 13, 2013 7:50 am Profile
Wanee Master

ReverendHugh wrote:
Great travel tips! I'll try to do them all. Driving up from Hartford today, on a hippy hunt! Birds of a feather are flocking outside.

Any side trips to Upstate NY :?: :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nm039Hw45aw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_FCQwv82 ... r_embedded

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NBo_POKv21w

Thu Jun 13, 2013 9:35 am Profile WWW
 [ 26 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next