Last visit was: Fri Aug 22, 2014 1:56 am It is currently Fri Aug 22, 2014 1:56 am

[ 24 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Red Rocks 
Wanee Lover

Post Re: Red Rocks
Saw "The Dead" on a 5 show run there in '04 with Warren and Jimmy Herring..WOW!
The Wave That Flag Tour. Like SOSMP it is truly a magical setting.

Sun Jul 07, 2013 2:15 pm Profile
Wanee Lover

Yeah but that Wave That Flag Tour turned Camden into a magical place too.

Mon Jul 08, 2013 1:38 pm Profile
Wanee Lover

The Lightman wrote:
I am no longer a red rocks virgin!
I went to the TTB/Grace Potter/JJ Grey show on 6-15-2013. We Waneetopians met up before the show and between sets, it was so awesome seeing Amy, Wally and everyone else.
Each band was so happy to be there.
While you are there, you must make a side trip to Rocky Mountain National Park. I loved it so much that I am going back there on Wednesday.

Yes, what Ron said. Add to that that the service industry there is the friendliest I have ever encountered. They seem to actually enjoy helping you.
It was also enhanced by having the best local guide/organizer (Izzab) one could imagine!

Wed Jul 10, 2013 4:27 pm Profile
Wanee Veteran

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HIsf_OseKic

Wed Jul 10, 2013 9:41 pm Profile
Wanee Master

Jealous, but so happy you made it out there. Magical place. I've seen The Grateful Dead, Stevie Nicks and the Indigo Girls there. Would love to see Cheese there. That's my fantasy show.

Thu Jul 11, 2013 2:41 pm Profile
Wanee Lover

What an amazing experience. They played storms for my wife and I.

Sat Jul 13, 2013 12:07 pm Profile
Wanee Lover

I do not know any of you personally but i wanted to share a story about this amazing weekend. I missed Wanee 2013 because my wife and i were expecting our first born in Feburary. Everything was great with the pregnancy and we wanted a natural child birth. everything was perfect until my wife, Laura, went into labor. When we arrived, there was no heart beat. After processing what was going on, we deciced to move forward with our plan on a natural child birth. 10 hours later little Charlie was born asleep. It was a tragedy i do not wish on my worst enemy. During her labor, we had music playing. We listened to a lot of Railroad Earth. RRE has been one of my favorite bands for a long time, but some of their songs took on a new meaning. At the visitation, i made a CD with several songs including ABB - Blue Sky and Will the Circle Be Unbroken (Duane style :) ), brokedown palace, and RRE - Storms. Storms has always been a favorite song of ours but has since had even more meaning to my family. About a month ago, my father in law wrote the band an email and got a response. Well, they played Storms the night before so it was off the table, right? well, not so much..

Between the 6th and 7th song of the first set, Todd dedicated the next song to Scott and Laura, and BAM, there is Storms. A beautiful Storms i might add. Between the tears, the hugs from everyone around us, and the amazing venue, it was the most spiritual experence of my life. The fact a band took the time to do something during their biggest show in history, first time headlining Red Rocks, meant more to us than words can tell.

We also had tickets for Boulder the next night. We walked down to the theatre about 3 hours early with my event posters from the previous night in hand. A few guys were chilling out back and asked us if we were looking for autographs. I told them we were and who we were and they let us right back. We got to spend some time with the band before soundcheck and got all of their signatures on our posters. They were as sincere and as nice as anyone could be. They all know who we were which took me back, i am just a guy from Georgia working to make it and going to shows when i can make it. It was just a magical weekend on top of a magical week vacation in the Rockies. If you have never been, do yourself a favor and go and please catch a show at Red Rocks.

I have always been a fan of their music but now i am a fan of the people that makeup Railroad Earth. I emailed their manager today just to say thanks and got an heartfelt response right back and he said he would share my email with the band. I wanted to take the time to share this experence with all of you great people. With all the hate and the this band is better and everything else in the world, it is so amazing to see someone do a selfless act for complete strangers, an act that means more than they will ever know.

http://archive.org/details/rre2013-07-12

If you care to hear it, the dedication is at the end of song #6 and Storms is #7.

Aside from that, both shows were completly amazing and i urge anyone to go catch them if they are in your area.

Mon Jul 15, 2013 3:39 pm Profile
Wanee Master

Love that someone thought of you and yours. So hate it when a child doesn't make it and I feel deeply for both of you.
It was nice of RRE to remember you there.
Thank you for sharing........there are nice people still in this world.

Mon Jul 15, 2013 3:56 pm Profile
Wanee Master

Very moving story. I am saddened by your loss, but moved that you and your wife are still able to appreciate the beauty and wonder around you.

Mon Jul 15, 2013 8:56 pm Profile
Wanee Fan

Wow.

First: Scott (and Laura), please accept my condolences on the loss of your Charlie. Stay strong, yall.

Next: Thank you so much for sharing your experience with us; it took real courage to do that. You sure touched my heart, in a good way.

For so many of us, music is our way of getting in touch with something bigger than ourselves. Call it what you want, but when it's really happening, it's a Spiritual Thing. (Back in the day, we said that 'It' had come around. You can summon It, but you can't control It... and It sure doesn't come solely at our bidding.)

But every once in awhile, magic CAN and DOES happen. We move beyond being just who we are, and share in something that's more than the sum of the parts.

I think Todd Sheaffer has a special gift, the gift of Music and Lyric. Thank goddess that he shares those gifts with us. Because when he does, yeah, it can be Spiritual.

And thank you again, Scott, for sharing your very human story here. May you and your family find peace...

Oh. Here're the lyrics to 'Storms', a song by Todd Sheaffer:

Soft thunder from across the meadow
Rain buckets on the kitchen floor
No letter, and the coffer's empty
But all these storms I know we'll weather
All these storms we'll ride together

I never dreamed that it would be so hard, girl
Never saved up for a rainy day
Never thought that we might howl and shiver
All these storms I know we'll weather
All these storms we'll ride together

Pick up your heart, my love