Last visit was: Sun Sep 21, 2014 2:05 am It is currently Sun Sep 21, 2014 2:05 am

[ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Living In Florida 
Wanee Pro

Post Living In Florida

Thu Jul 11, 2013 11:28 am Profile
Wanee Master

Post Re: Living In Florida
What a cutie!

Thu Jul 11, 2013 12:13 pm Profile
Wanee Pro

This road still exists in Tiger Bay State Forest, the old Pershing Highway.

Tue Jul 16, 2013 8:40 am Profile
Wanee Lover

VERY cool! Never heard of the pershing highway, did some homework... and got more questions than answers. :lol:

"" Part of the old Pershing Highway, that was constructed back in 1917, can still be seen cutting through the swamps and pine lands of Tiger Bay State Forest. ""

Source - http://www.outintheboonies.com/Tiger_Bay/

But...

"" In 1921, Thomas H. MacDonald, the newly appointed head of the Bureau of Public Roads, requested the Army provide it with a list of roads of "prime importance in the event of war." MacDonald had the Geological Survey and later his own staff painstakingly draft out the details of the Army's request, and presented the sum of these drawings in a massive 32-foot (9.8 m)-long map to Army War Plans. General of the Armies John Pershing himself reported the results back to Congress in 1922 with the proposal becoming known as the "Pershing Map."
.....and with little infrastructure, southern Florida was not a priority since any army landing there would have had no method to advance northwards.

Source - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pershing_Map

Source - http://www.uwgb.edu/DutchS/WestTech/xmodern1.htm

Very cool cobblestone road... but if it was built in 1917 it is prolly not a pershing map highway. And the map shows no road proposed there. BUT... then what is it?!?!?

Ah... Furk held me up, but I found it. The name was the confusion.

"" In December, 1918, the road from Daytona via DeLand and Orange City to Harden's Ferry was named the Pershing Highway. The Pershing Triangle was formed by the roads connecting Daytona, New Smyrna and DeLand. ""

Source - http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~flrbg ... ct-Dec.pdf

What ever happened to the Pershing triangle?
50 Years ago this week (Sep 7,1969) the Volusia county commission adopted a resolution establishing what was henceforth to be known as The Pershing triangle.
The "Triangle" consisted of the 75 miles of road then connecting DeLand to Daytona, Daytona to New Smyrna, and New Smyrna to DeLand.
This road net was to be a memorial to those veterans that lost their lives in the service of the country during WW1.
At each apex of the triangle there was to be erected a memorial shaft of concrete, bearing a bronze tablet with the names of Volusia's war dead.
Where are thye Shafts of concrete, the bronze tablets, the shade trees?
At the time the project was greeted with great enthusiasm by the county residents. Somehow, somewhere,someday the project got sidetracked, shelved and passed into limbo.
It seemed like a good idea 50 yrs ago. (c1969!)

Source - http://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=1 ... 06,1213846

** Above excerpt hand typed, errors are mine. The paper is a scan, and copy/paste wasnt an option.

Ah, that settles it. THANKS Spyderstan for the neat Florida picture! I have set foot on part of the Old Melbourne Hwy that lies on the Mormon lands north of 192, and been to Tohopkee, but never knew of this one. Have to go and see it.

(Yes, I have OCD's. I have learned to satisfy them, and move on. )

"" I'm not gonna vote for more rules... we go to festivals to get away from most of the idiotic social customs and rules for a time, and be a bit more free than the regular world lets us... keep the rules simple and few, and let kindness rule rather than a rule book... ""

THIS. ↑↑↑↑

Author - Beach Bob - Monday 20 MAY 2013 - 8:22 am
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=10529&start=10&hilit=chairs

Tue Jul 16, 2013 11:53 am Profile WWW
Wanee Master

Western Cowboys are a bunch of pussies ;)

http://www.thehistorychannelclub.com/ar ... al-cowboys

Tue Jul 16, 2013 12:35 pm Profile
Wanee Pro

Jensen B Gator wrote:
Western Cowboys are a bunch of pussies ;)
http://www.thehistorychannelclub.com/ar ... al-cowboys

It should be noted, though a group of people think calling someone a Cracker is an insult, many consider it an honorable title.

Volkemon wrote:
"" In December, 1918, the road from Daytona via DeLand and Orange City to Harden's Ferry was named the Pershing Highway. The Pershing Triangle was formed by the roads connecting Daytona, New Smyrna and DeLand. ""

That's it.

Tue Jul 16, 2013 2:33 pm Profile
Wanee Pro

Mini Season started today.
Can anyone top this beauty from the Keys in the 60's?

Wed Jul 24, 2013 6:32 pm Profile
Wanee Master

Spyderstan wrote:
Mini Season started today.
Can anyone top this beauty from the Keys in the 60's?

I lived in Key Largo from 83-92 we caught some pretty big ones.

With regards to the mini season we used to joke about people coming to the Keys for mini season bringing a shirt and a $20 Bill and never changing either... :evil:

Wed Jul 24, 2013 6:36 pm Profile
Wanee Lover

Damn, just think of the backbreaking, sweaty work laying all of those bricks.
But it sure lasted longer than any road built today!

Thu Jul 25, 2013 1:22 pm Profile
Wanee Lover

mike12859 wrote:
Damn, just think of the backbreaking, sweaty work laying all of those bricks.
But it sure lasted longer than any road built today!

Well, we wont know that until 2113. :) And the surface bricks are beholden to the substrate. There *may* be a reason they are not used anymore. I would not attempt 2500 cars a day down that stretch of highway today.

But to imagine the labor and time to make the road. With you there. Damn.

I am hoping to get a pic of 'Me Olde Microbus' on that Pershing Highway. The Pershing highway map is a well studied object in civil engineering. To be told the Pershing Highway was less than 100 Mi away...and in a state park.. With pics. I was ??? Image

"" I'm not gonna vote for more rules... we go to festivals to get away from most of the idiotic social customs and rules for a time, and be a bit more free than the regular world lets us... keep the rules simple and few, and let kindness rule rather than a rule book... ""

THIS. ↑↑↑↑

Author - Beach Bob - Monday 20 MAY 2013 - 8:22 am
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=10529&start=10&hilit=chairs

Thu Jul 25, 2013 5:16 pm Profile WWW
 [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next