Last visit was: Sat Apr 19, 2014 3:31 am It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 3:31 am

[ 16 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 The Phishes in Chicago 
Wanee Mushroom

Post Re: The Phishes in Chicago
Great stuff, Jeff! Glad Chicago was great for you and your crew!

Paul (Blotto) is a friend of mine! Very cool! They will play me and my ladies' wedding reception when the day comes! 8-)

Thu Jul 25, 2013 7:03 am Profile
Wanee Veteran

Cool! We were walking in Sunday with the lawns from our 3 day pass and some pavs we had bought. Was going to miracle some friends but they both backed out last minute. I had already committed to giving them away so... We were walking along and I was holding one up and this guy asked "Is that an extra?" I said yes and he asked how much? I said take it man, it's yours. I don't think he was believing me and asked "Really?" I said hell yes, have a great show" and walked off. He looked happy as s#%t. As we walked off my buddy Chris told me he was from Mr Blotto or had said he was anyways. Neither of us had seen them so we didn't know. Yesterday I went to their site and checked out some picture and I'm pretty sure that was him. Hope so. Seemed like a nice guy.

Unfortunately I'm pretty sure the other one got resold. Oh well.

Thu Jul 25, 2013 12:49 pm Profile
Wanee Veteran

I thought the venue totally rocked. The sound on the floor and on the lawn was great. The extra repeaters did the job. The view from the lawn was spectacular. The layout was kind of screwy but it worked. The Food options were ok but I wasn't really there for the food and did not have much of an appetite anyways. I kept to my game plan and didn't drink any beer in the venue. Kept to the water. Before and after is another story. Plenty pf portos in the lawn and they never got foul. Not sure how the lawn held up the third night.

Thu Jul 25, 2013 12:50 pm Profile
Wanee Veteran

Really great friendly people all over the place. One exception. Sun night after the rain we were on the floor hanging by ourselves in a crowd. This guy bumps into me so I smile and say sorry. He kind of dance bumps into me again harder. And then harder. Then starts to lean into me. I can't tell if he's being a dick or is about to go down and needs an assist. Then he purposefully starts to lean into me and then my wife. I started to position myself between him and my girl and tell him to step back when this guy behind us snatches him up, tells him he's being an asshole and to get the f!*k away. The guy apologizes to me for the other guy being a punk and we hung with him and his crew for the rest of the show.

Thu Jul 25, 2013 12:51 pm Profile
Wanee Veteran

I don't know Phish well enough to comment on the merit of the song selection or the relative quality of how the songs were played. I do know that I had a great time musically and we danced till our feet (mine) and knees (hers) reminded us how young we might not be. But we danced that hard all three nights so f!*k it. I had fun and Pam shook her ass therefore it was an unqualified success.

First night Suzy Greenburg opener was my favorite time seeing that song. The Moma Dance is a fun dancing song and I thought 46 Days crushed. The rain was crazy walking back to the hotel. I think they did the right thing pulling the plug. I knew it was over when they started pulling down the repeaters. Went to Hopleaf after the show and had Zombie Dust on tap.

Second night was magic. It was the next piece to fall into place on a day that was close to perfect. Breakfast alone with my wife in a cool deli in a strange city and then taking her and my friends sailing on Lake Michigan and then a 3 set rager. What a cool thing to do. Start early, play late and while you're at it play 3 killer sets. Loved the Prince Caspian opener into Twist. First Ha Ha Ha and I love to dance to Possum. Kind of accidentally called Cities and it kind of wigged this tripping kid out. I was talking to his friend saying that the lights combined with the cityscape was awesome when it got dark. All he heard me say was cities right as they started. He thought I had the power. I forgot about Kill Devil Falls and how much I like to dance to it and Weekapaug Groove always gets me going. Went to Map Room after the show and then when we got back drank outside the hotel. Damn near perfect. Even the light rain was cool. Got moist for a while and my wife got cold but she just kept moving.

Third night she asked me if I wanted to carry the rain gear. I said no but then thought I don't want to be the asshole that carries rain gear on the plane only to leave it in the hotel and get rained on 3 nights in a row. So glad we took it. It rained so hard that we still got pretty damp but it kept the wind off of us so we didn't get cold. After the rain I shed mine and was good to go. I thought the Energy>Ghost>Lizards was the jam. I laughed pretty hard at the whole Harpua thing. They had the cast from Second City in the audience and had them come on stage for a story. I love that they don't take themselves too seriously and pretty much do whatever they feel like. I say Hooray. I would have rather heard something else for a good 15 minutes of that but whatever. Antelope got cranked up and then went to 11.

Like I said I don't know a lot of Phish but damn I had a whole lot of fun. I'd do it all over again in a second.

Thu Jul 25, 2013 12:55 pm Profile
Wanee Mushroom

Glad it went so well! Sounds like a successful trip! Mr Blotto played two Phish after party shows at Reggie's Music Club on State St. They actually had a Reggie's school bus driving to and back from the venue! If you get back to Chicago, make sure Mr Blotto is on your list of things to do! They will NOT disappoint you or the Mrs.!

Thu Jul 25, 2013 2:46 pm Profile
 [ 16 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2