Last visit was: Tue Mar 03, 2015 6:38 pm It is currently Tue Mar 03, 2015 6:38 pm

[ 45 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 critters 
Wanee Peach

Post critters
This may be considered to be one of those absurd Yankee questions..... but being from CT, I am unfamiliar with Florida wildlife concerns while camping... are there things and places to avoid... do I have concerns with poisonous snakes? What about gaters? I read to watch for ants... but idk what to look for. I am not scared... just looking for some heads up from the locals.

Wed Feb 25, 2015 5:05 pm Profile
Wanee Lover

Post Re: critters
Seriously Don, there's ticks, skeeters, ants, bears, panthers, gators, wasps, yeller jackets, rattlesnakes, water moccasins, and who could forget, flying sturgeon. :o

Nothing to worry about, if you're cautious. Please do beware of poison ivy, which is always in abundant supply (and blooming) this time of year!

Stick with the music and you'll be fine! 8-)

Wed Feb 25, 2015 5:23 pm Profile
Wanee Peach

ReverendHugh wrote:
Seriously Don, there's ticks, skeeters, ants, bears, panthers, gators, wasps, yeller jackets, rattlesnakes, water moccasins, and who could forget, flying sturgeon. :o

Nothing to worry about, if you're cautious. Please do beware of poison ivy, which is always in abundant supply (and blooming) this time of year!

I am familiar with some on the list... but panthers in a populated campground? Are there gaters in the lake/ river? I am excited to try new things... no doubt... but fighting a gator is not on my bucket list :)

Wed Feb 25, 2015 5:28 pm Profile
♫♫ Wanee Master ♫♫

The only thing we've ever had issues with are ticks and ants. We did have one small (3 feet long or so) snake wander into our site once and it scared the crap out of me. So much so that he spun around and headed off when I jumped.

Rev has you covered, stick with the music!

Wed Feb 25, 2015 5:30 pm Profile
Wanee Lover

don1416 wrote:
ReverendHugh wrote:

I am familiar with some on the list... but panthers in a populated campground? Are there gaters in the lake/ river? I am excited to try new things... no doubt... but fighting a gator is not on my bucket list :)

No worries friend. Gators are afraid of humans(as they should be) unless someone's been feeding them, so that they've lost that fear. Lots of folks swim in the river, so that reduces your chances of you being dinner! :lol:

Panthers are very illusive. You could consider yourself lucky to see one, unless he was chomping on your neck! :o

Worry about mosquitoes and their lovely disease portfolio, poison ivy, and yellow jackets(they love sweet drinks, so be sure to look before you chug). Snakes could be a problem if your away from the action, but again, stick with the music and you'll be fine.

Wed Feb 25, 2015 5:34 pm Profile
Wanee Fan

I usually spray my boots with bug spray to avoid the jiggers and as long as you're not rolling around in the poison ivy you should be good. Common sense usually prevails. Prepare for rain when setting up camp even though its usually short & sweet.

Wed Feb 25, 2015 5:42 pm Profile
Wanee Lover

The only thing I've personally had an issue with was ticks (I still have a scar on my belly from last spring). My daughter and her friend said they saw a snake on a bike ride (so, I'd say 50% reliable), but there were other people who saw it around the same time).

Really though, by the time the music starts, the critters will have been stomped out (except for the mosquitoes...they'll have been sprayed away).

Wed Feb 25, 2015 5:42 pm Profile
♫♫ Wanee Master ♫♫

frenchiejess wrote:
My daughter and her friend said they saw a snake on a bike ride

I wonder what kind of bike the snake had...

Wed Feb 25, 2015 5:59 pm Profile
Wanee Fan

In the Hidden Woods area at this past MagFest (in October), I saw a herd of pink elephants late Friday night. I'm pretty sure one of them stepped on my head (or at least kicked me in the head) based on the headache I was fighting on Saturday.

They apparently moved on, because I didn't see them the rest of the weekend.

Wed Feb 25, 2015 6:08 pm Profile
♫♫ Wanee Master ♫♫

Rev...
did you purposely leave out the
Florida Skunk Ape from your list?

Oh wait, the Dead aren't here this year....so sightings will be rare.

Wed Feb 25, 2015 6:29 pm Profile
 [ 45 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next