Last visit was: Sun Oct 26, 2014 12:28 am It is currently Sun Oct 26, 2014 12:28 am

[ 19 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Shawn Timothy DuLong... better known as Carp420 around here 
Wanee Gnome

Post Re: Shawn Timothy DuLong... better known as Carp420 around
I heard this song yesterday by Head and the Heart named 'Lost in my Mind' and it made me think of my brother Shawn. You see, Shawn an I have always communicated through music, so why should now be any different that he's in a different form? I then googled him and found this forum. I am better for it.
I was born Sept. 18 1970 the same day and year Jimi Hendrix died. I remember Shawn pointing this out to me when I was about 16. We were born of the same mother, but had different fathers. Shawn always loved music, from as far back as I could remember, and he instilled this love in me. Walking me to little league with his boom box blaring Pink Floyd The Wall in 1980. He also helped protect me when I was young standing up to bullies, unless I borrowed his Rush cassettes. Then he would get so mad.
Shawn bought me a ticket on my 18th birthday, and we went to our first Dead show together 10/16/88. Ironically, they sang 'Happy Birthday' ! Shawn and I just smiled at each other.(Bobby's bday) Me not knowing any songs yet except from Skeletons, which we wore out driving to the show, and of course Touch of Grey. Wow, what a first show! So many songs I knew. Check out the set list some time. Hot!
I remember Shawn's excitement leaving the show that night wanting to go on to the next show. Furthur he said, not even realizing yet the significance! He explained to me that's the way life should be lived, family. People helping each other and enjoying life. Our life's changed from that moment forward.
As he travelled on and off the road, moving from town to town, we were estranged almost ten years to the day between 1999-2009 until he was diagnosed.
We picked up right where we left off though, a little older, a little wiser, knowing that time truly is short. Some of my happiest last memories were taking Shawn to a few great shows. Richie Havens in Clearwater getting our pic with him, and of course Govt. Mule in Ybor City Tampa.
Once again though, we just couldn't seem to hear each other, and sadly, I didn't talk to him for the last year of his life.
The day I found out Shawn had died, I went upstairs in Tampa airport. I had worked there for years and they only ever play elevator music throughout the airport. You know, usually consisting of the typical doctors office fare you've come to expect. Phil Collins or Roberta Flack?
The morning I found out, I heard the opening of 'Sugar Magnolia'. The lyrics, the ending, Sunshine Daydream, 'Breathing more freely' You can not imagine the tears realizing, he was just letting me know he was ok.
After hearing the song Lost in my Mind yesterday, I realize again, still Shawn is not ever gone, nor forgotten. 'There are stars up above'.
I have an amazing piece of art Shawn drew for me in 1999. I will try to upload it here for all to enjoy. It proudly hangs in my apartment here in San Francisco. I didn't realize, but I had a little further to go also.
Thank you all for remembering my brother ~

'He pushed me, on the merry go round, going round and round' ...still chokes me up everytime !

I love and miss you Shawn ♥

Wed Jun 04, 2014 12:12 am Profile
Wanee Veteran

Thank you for opening your heart and sharing your love Brother. :D

Last edited by atlanta hippie on Wed Jun 04, 2014 2:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Jun 04, 2014 7:02 am Profile
Wanee Master

Thanks for sharing SameMotherBrother

Welcome to the forum come to a festival at the park your life will never be the same after 8-)

Wed Jun 04, 2014 7:33 am Profile
Wanee Master

A very touching tribute to a Brother. Thanks.
Although I never met Shawn....many still speak highly of him.
We will welcome you with open arms if you can find a way to join us for Wanee '15.
Love to you.

Wed Jun 04, 2014 8:24 am Profile
Wanee Master

Thank you so much for sharing this and welcome to the forum. Shawn was/is a big part of what makes this place so special.

Wed Jun 04, 2014 8:29 am Profile
Wanee Wizard

Thank you for sharing this. I never met Shawn but have heard and read so many good things of him.

Wed Jun 04, 2014 10:10 am Profile
Wanee Master

Thanks for sharing SMB, I also did not know him but one thing I do know, He was family here. Welcome to the family SameMotherBrother :!: 8-)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nm039Hw45aw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_FCQwv82 ... r_embedded

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NBo_POKv21w

Wed Jun 04, 2014 10:56 am Profile WWW
Wanee Lover

Nice to hear from you, his sister. I'm sure he's smiling and approves of what you said here. I think of him often, especially when I hear Eyes of the World, and still admire his courage. Courage to be who he was, and to speak his mind when he thought something wasn't fair. It was in his handle.

R.I.P. Brother Shawn

There are things that music can do that language could never do, that painting can never do, or sculpture. Music is capable of going directly to the source of the mystery. It doesn't have to explain it. It can simply celebrate it.(and make you dance your azzoff!)

Wed Jun 04, 2014 4:41 pm Profile
Wanee Lover

Welcome to the forum SMB. I knew Shawn through the forum and the Wanee festival. Always had a smile, always easygoing. He is missed.

Fri Jun 06, 2014 4:55 pm Profile
 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2