Last visit was: Sat Jul 26, 2014 1:13 pm It is currently Sat Jul 26, 2014 1:13 pm

[ 20 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 RV sites AVAILABLE for MagFest and/or Hullaween? 
Wanee Lover

Post Re: RV sites AVAILABLE for MagFest and/or Hullaween?
ABBird wrote:
I should add that it's a 36 foot single-axle pusher...

Well now... thats a horse of a different color. For everyone else, this is an example of what we are referring to-

"" My "new to me" "RV" is a 25-year-old BlueBird Bus conversion "" led me to think you had an old BB School bus and you were outfitting it.

25 years old... 88? Thats the first year of the Widebody...and the new headlights! Cool ride. 2 stroke diesel IIRC... this and cockroaches will survive the end of the world. Tough rig.

For off road ability however... well... not the best. As far as your 2x8 boards for a bridge idea... get nice 'clear' planks - no knots!!! nice straight grain that is parallel to the long edge of the board. You are going to be asking a LOT of a piece of sliced tree. :)

Your levelling jacks will be your buddy when stuck. Have some good strong pads for under them, as they (the jacks) can lift you up out of trouble. 3/4" a/a or a/b plywood is the strongest, with minimal voids inside. 16x16 squares ( get 18 out of a 4x8 sheet) are a good size, and make each pad out of 3 as follows - get a bunch of 1 1/4 deck screws, and liquid nails. Put a square on the ground, and apply liquid nails. 1/4" bead, close zigzig pattern. should be 2" max between the glue stripes, and a perimeter bead about 1/2" from the edge. Take another square, and place it on top of the first, squishing the glue. Align the edges, and start screwing from the center to the outer edge. You may have a bit o glue come out, thats OK, just wipe when done. TONS of glue spooge... ease off on the glue. NO spooge? maybe apply a bit more next go. Now repeat this one more time with the top layer. Maybe get ambitious and a few coats of Thompsons water seal. This will give you a strong, weather resistant pad that you can rely on in the soft. Overkill for hard packed surfaces, but JUST the ticket for sand. Wide enough to catch both wheels on the rear axle, and with 6 of them, you have enough to make a 'rolling road'. 12 pads can be made from 2 sheets. Little easier to store and transport than 8" 2x6's also... Yes, these are overbuilt for normal use. We are discussing extreme use. :)

NO cement blocks/pads/pavers etc. They will fail in the soft.

A good chain or two will help others help you. Make sure you know where the proper attachment points are on your rig BEFORE you need them.

Get on a creeper and get to know the bottomside of the rig. Know where your tanks are located. Make sure you know where the low points are... drains for example..
Any low hanging wires/lines/cables that might try to snag on things? Zip tie them, or otherwise fasten them up out of the way. Just look and think... what could go wrong down there? What HAS gone wrong? You may find evidence of previous off roading. Better to find these at home than in the field.

Top clearance... thats easy with a few observers.

When driving in. SLOW pace, walk speed, 2-4 people walking aside and before the coach spotting hazards. Best case... 4 spotters, one 'foreman' and you driving. The spotters talk to the foreman, you communicate with the foreman only. Tough to take directions from 3-4 people at once AND pilot the coach. (and Foreman used as a title, not being gender specific. Ladies can do this just as well as the guys)

Take it slow, think a lot. If the slow progress frustrates you, take a moment and think of the hours spent stuck and the possible tow bill... To get a big wrecker in the SOSMP to recover you will likely START north of $1000.

and I really should be working... hope this gives you some ideas.

"" I'm not gonna vote for more rules... we go to festivals to get away from most of the idiotic social customs and rules for a time, and be a bit more free than the regular world lets us... keep the rules simple and few, and let kindness rule rather than a rule book... ""

THIS. ↑↑↑↑

Author - Beach Bob - Monday 20 MAY 2013 - 8:22 am
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=10529&start=10&hilit=chairs

Fri Oct 04, 2013 1:07 pm Profile WWW
Wanee Mushroom

Sweet rig!

Something you may want to consider is AAA RV Plus coverage.

Fri Oct 04, 2013 1:16 pm Profile
Wanee Lover

Indeed a good service, But be aware that stuck at most of SOSMP is not covered....

Covered- "" Double extrication service - 2 vehicles/2 drivers ""

in the fine print...

"" Extrication/Winching. If your vehicle becomes stuck, it will be extricated or winched as long as it is adjacent to a passable, established road or thoroughfare and can be safely reached from the hard road surface.""

A 'hard road surface' is considered concrete, asphalt or maintained dirt road. I checked with my AAA Tow Operator friend about SOSMP. He looked at their 'official' map, and 95th Dr ( River Road) is considered passable established road, 30th Trail (to Rees Lake) , by nature of the name, may not be. (he asked if it was paved... I told him i did not think 30th trail was..) It would be operator discretion there. All other roads shown on the map are considered unimproved local trails.

To use your AAA coverage for an off road stuck, I would have 2-300$$ in CASH to 'help' the tow operator make it a AAA call regardless of rules. Still cheaper than paying for the extraction outright..

"" I'm not gonna vote for more rules... we go to festivals to get away from most of the idiotic social customs and rules for a time, and be a bit more free than the regular world lets us... keep the rules simple and few, and let kindness rule rather than a rule book... ""

THIS. ↑↑↑↑

Fri Oct 04, 2013 2:19 pm Profile WWW
Wanee Mushroom

Volkemon wrote:
Indeed a good service, But be aware that stuck at most of SOSMP is not covered....

Covered- "" Double extrication service - 2 vehicles/2 drivers ""

in the fine print...

"" Extrication/Winching. If your vehicle becomes stuck, it will be extricated or winched as long as it is adjacent to a passable, established road or thoroughfare and can be safely reached from the hard road surface.""

A 'hard road surface' is considered concrete, asphalt or maintained dirt road. I checked with my AAA Tow Operator friend about SOSMP. He looked at their 'official' map, and 95th Dr ( River Road) is considered passable established road, 30th Trail (to Rees Lake) , by nature of the name, may not be. (he asked if it was paved... I told him i did not think 30th trail was..) It would be operator discretion there. All other roads shown on the map are considered unimproved local trails.

To use your AAA coverage for an off road stuck, I would have 2-300$$ in CASH to 'help' the tow operator make it a AAA call regardless of rules. Still cheaper than paying for the extraction outright..

Good advice, volke! I wonder if Hippie Road counts?lol

Fri Oct 04, 2013 3:06 pm Profile
Wanee Master

Damn....you guys are talking Big Rigs....
But I think if you look at the first map that Waneelover put up for display.....just as you enter the park...there are some spaces in the general area of the Music Hall that I have seen people park some rigs in......some of the spaces are reserved....but I have seen many that are not. You might want to call SOSMP to verify, but that might be a viable spot for your bus. It appears hard.....and it is beside a main road....if you do have to be pulled out.
I would call the park for advise either way. I am sure they have had this come up before.

Fri Oct 04, 2013 3:36 pm Profile
Wanee Gnome

thanks to everyone who has contributed thoughts and advice, and,
sorry to not get back until now (working overtime to be able to attend
both Magfest and SCI...)...

THANKS ESPECIALLY TO VOLKEMON for the detailed and insightful advice
and detailed instructions for building the sand pad system...

Obviously, I didn't buy this rig exclusively for primitive camping at SOSMP...
Since I teach at a University, I have the option of spending my summers
on the road, exploring "far away exotic places", attending music festivals
in other locales, etc...so I have finally decided to exercise that option...

Since this is a recent purchase, I didn't have the option of early purchase
of an RV site (guess I will have to add this to my future Wanee, MagFest, etc.
budgets...), so as you have learned on this post, I'm just tryin' to sort it out for now...

Thanks to everyone--I will try to figure out how to post a pic of my coach
so that you can stop by and take a tour...
(It does look similar to the pic posted by Volkemon...
mine is an '89 SP36, and it's blue)
These buses are "oldies, but goodies"...
if you're interested, just google "WanderLodge"...

Sun Oct 06, 2013 11:48 am Profile
Wanee Gnome

Forgot to mention that I did upgrade my AAA card to RVPremier towing...
I really appreciate the "heads up" about the limits related to the
"extraction services" provided...They don't tell you that on the website,
at least not in print size that's readable...

Sun Oct 06, 2013 11:51 am Profile
Wanee Lover

The LARGE PRINT giveth..
the SMALL PRINT taketh away... :ugeek:

Glad it worked out for you getting a spot. My next SOSMP is Bear Creek, hopefully in a "Yeah I'm a Freakin' Ray of Sunshine" bright yellow VW Bus.. my 'WanderTent' Image

THIS. ↑↑↑↑

Sun Oct 06, 2013 1:13 pm Profile WWW
Wanee Gnome

Just called SOSMP folks (if you don't already know this--they are GREAT people to work with...with their advice, and input from this forum, my plan for MagFest is to show up on Tuesday early morning (our usual schedule), and shoot for a primitive spot around the Music Hall...apparently pretty hard dirt around that area...stop by---shouldn't be hard to find us (even after "disguising the bus" with tie-dye sheets....)

AND, I snagged a real RV spot on "The Loop" (that's meant for the big rigs), for Hulaween... :D

would love to also do "Bear Creek", but, I'm already pushing it... ;)

UPDATE FOR ALL: According to the staff member I booked with for Hulaween site,
as of today, there are still a bunch of RV and elec/water sites available for Hulaween...

FYI: I paid $200 for Hulaween (Thurs/Fri/Sat) (Full Hookup) (max 4 people)

Considering that tent-camping for Tues-Sun, my tribe ends up paying at least $100 on ice and dry ice, and, lots on batteries, and the females in our group will not have to use the shower tent and WAG bags ;) , it's not really that much extra for the RV site ...and, this bus has an icemaker...no, I won't be selling ice...

EVERYBODY ENJOY THE SPIRIT!

again, thanks for all the input...

Sun Oct 06, 2013 2:02 pm Profile
Wanee Master

Yeah ....I have seen some large rigs camped in the music hall area. Hope this
works out for you. And yes, it does seem like a hard dirt area.....

Sun Oct 06, 2013 2:58 pm Profile
 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2