Last visit was: Mon Sep 01, 2014 9:55 pm It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 9:55 pm

[ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Gotta Say 
Wanee Gnome

Post Gotta Say
I do not know what happened on this forum since the lineup was announced as I was in NOLA seeing the Radiator's, New Orleans Suspects, Honey Island Swamp Band and Raw Oyster Cult (members of the Radiator's and Jon Gros). By the way, absolutely excellent shows. If you haven't got the chance to see the New Orleans Suspects, Honey Island Swamp Band or Raw Oyster Cult, you are really missing out.

I got the lineup email from Jambase yesterday on the way home. I have been to every Wanee since it began with the exception of one that I could not make. I have also been to many Mag-Fests, Spring Fests, SCI etc at the park. The park is one of my all time favorite places to go to a concert or to camp. I love the park and the festival. I have never questioned the price of the ticket nor the increasingly increasing pricing of reserved camp sites with electric and water. Our group has every year paid $200-300, 90 days after the show to reserve the spot for the following year. I have every year bought tickets in December after buying the camping pass.

Now, I want to preface here that I do not complain much and I have a true love for this event and the venue. But I feel motivated to voice my opinion here in hopes that someone may see it. This lineup is lacking for the ticket/reserved camping costs and not representative of the caliber of festival that ABB has built this into--at this point. Now don't get me wrong. Seeing ABB for the 11,450,000 time would be great but it is the supporting that draws me most. I was really put back with this lineup. In the past I have been open to new bands and have been supportive of the festival whether I liked the band list or not. But looking at this one just makes me think that there was no motivation to bring something special this year as in years past. I get the feel there was lacking motivation as if they were not gonna do this anymore. That scares me for the future of this event. Maybe it is just me. There are numerous bands that are in my favorite list that are playing on this lineup. And I like most all of the bands and have respect for them. Many of my favorites are under the ABB "Umbrella" if you will. Mule, Tedeschi/Trucks etc. I also love moe. a whole bunch as well. But many of the remaining bands are smaller venue bar type bands. Nothing against those artists whatsoever and don't get me wrong. I like them too but the facts are that there are no major headliners as there have been in years past and at this point a lot less total bands then in recent years. And I hate to bring this up but Lynryd Skynrd? Seriously? You are joking right? As a headliner? I paid $5 to see them fifteen years ago at a corner bar in Daytona.
My group's camping price is the highest it has ever been and the band list is smaller. Like I said, maybe it is just me. I plan to review past lineups etc to make sure I am not crazy but at this point that is the way I feel. Not trying to bash at all nor trying to align myself with people that do not understand the gravity and amount of work it takes to put on anything of this caliper. I have a lot of respect for the establishment but this die hard is crying in his beer with a hat full of could-a-beens.

Tue Jan 21, 2014 9:59 am Profile
Wanee Lover

Post Re: Gotta Say
I gotta say that I agree with you 100%!

Tue Jan 21, 2014 10:03 am Profile
Wanee Veteran

Magfest is on the rise. Prine and Willie and Kris, Bonnie Raitt, Chris Robinson. MOE. Emmy Hair Lewis, all recently. Im sure it will continue the glory by adding TTB or Mule if Wanee is no more. The park is what the draw is. I can see these bands anywhere. I choose here.

Tue Jan 21, 2014 10:07 am Profile
Wanee Lover

It really is all about the like minded fellowship that goes on with this festival of ours.

Tue Jan 21, 2014 10:12 am Profile
Wanee Lover

Keep in mind that Wanee has a different promoter than Spring, Mag, or Bear! I know Paul Levine does a couple but not exactly sure on the details!

Tue Jan 21, 2014 10:52 am Profile
Wanee Veteran

Capt Brian wrote:
Keep in mind that Wanee has a different promoter than Spring, Mag, or Bear! I know Paul Levine does a couple but not exactly sure on the details!

Yeah but Derek has been there before. Pre Wanee era. Yes, believe it or not there was a pre Wanee era. Not sure about Warren

Tue Jan 21, 2014 10:56 am Profile
Wanee Peach

I agree ....I was going to let wanee post the line up and I was going to make a choice. N.O.LA Jazz Fest. I seen the line up for that and thought . Man WANEE line up will have to have one or two of those headliners.Clapton,Santana,http://lineup.nojazzfest.com/ on and on. BUT then yesterday nothing. the regulars and Lyn.Ski.what.they are shot. one original member.. at wanee.bummer... I will go to wanee but It would not take much to get me to go to New Orleans Jazz Fest. The jazz fest is about 50% the cost too.

Tue Jan 21, 2014 8:05 pm Profile
Wanee Pro

I think that the underwhelming lineup is actually more reason to suspect that this is not the last Wanee. If it was, one would think they would try to use that as a marketing tool, would announce it as such and would bring the fire so to speak when it comes to the lineup.

That being said, I dont think its the planned last Wanee, but depending on how this one goes, things could always change. If there is a massive drop in attendance the promoters may decide it is no longer worth it to put on the fest. Now personally, I dont anticipate that there will be this huge drop off in numbers. Granted its missing one big act to co-headline, but aside from that I think its actually a strong lineup IMO. (Its funny, you take out Lynyrd Skynyrd, just take them out and not even replace them with anyone, and I think the overall outlook on the lineup changes dramatically. ) Plus Wanee and SoS have a certain pedigree. Wanee has become a yearly tradition for many people, and nearly everyone who goes to SoS raves about it and wants to go back. I can personally speak on this when I say that I am going this year only 50% for the music and the other 50% is for the opportunity to spend a weekend surrounded by great people at one of my favorite places on earth.

I really think Wanee will live on, but maybe I am just being unrealistically optimisticc.

Tue Jan 21, 2014 8:49 pm Profile
Wanee Fan

i dont mean to sound harsh or confrontational, but where else are you going to find a lineup like this besides lockn'? i think this is an amazing lineup. sure, you can see all these people by themselves, but it will cost you more, and i absolutely guarantee you won't find the same good vibes and sense of community that you can find at a festival like this. i can understand some of your complaints, but i can also guarantee you that if you go, by the end of the weekend you will not regret it. yes the lineup is a major part of the weekend, and this is by no means a boring lineup, but the people are truly what make these festivals an experience. get a little perspective. i've never even been to wanee and im really stoked to get there this year.

Tue Jan 21, 2014 9:06 pm Profile
Wanee Pro

handsNfeetRmangos wrote:
I think that the underwhelming lineup is actually more reason to suspect that this is not the last Wanee. If it was, one would think they would try to use that as a marketing tool, would announce it as such and would bring the fire so to speak when it comes to the lineup.

That being said, I dont think its the planned last Wanee, but depending on how this one goes, things could always change. If there is a massive drop in attendance the promoters may decide it is no longer worth it to put on the fest. Now personally, I dont anticipate that there will be this huge drop off in numbers. Granted its missing one big act to co-headline, but aside from that I think its actually a strong lineup IMO. (Its funny, you take out Lynyrd Skynyrd, just take them out and not even replace them with anyone, and I think the overall outlook on the lineup changes dramatically. ) Plus Wanee and SoS have a certain pedigree. Wanee has become a yearly tradition for many people, and nearly everyone who goes to SoS raves about it and wants to go back. I can personally speak on this when I say that I am going this year only 50% for the music and the other 50% is for the opportunity to spend a weekend surrounded by great people at one of my favorite places on earth.

I really think Wanee will live on, but maybe I am just being unrealistically optimisticc.

Unfortunately, I really think there will be a drop in attendance this year, the last 3 years have been the biggest years but they also featured WSP/Furthur who sold a lot of tickets on their own, I would estimate those two bands brought in 5,000-10,000 unique fans that might not come just for the Brothers and the undercard. Deadheads and Spreadheads are willing to cover a lot of ground and tour along with their respective bands, that draw is just not going to be there this year. I know Furthur brought a lot more people, in my opinion 2012 was the most packed I have seen SOSMP for Wanee.

I like the lineup, I am excited about a lot of it but at the same token I am disappointed with it in many ways. First and foremost that everything about Wanee has gone up in price and without any doubt or question the amount of money they are spending on talent is down considerably. I have no doubt in my mind the budget for talent this year is down at least 20% from last year. I anticipate this will hurt attendance.

Tue Jan 21, 2014 9:27 pm Profile
 [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next