Last visit was: Fri Aug 22, 2014 1:57 am It is currently Fri Aug 22, 2014 1:57 am

[ 30 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 BEAR CREEK 2013: The Postgame Show 
Wanee Master

Post BEAR CREEK 2013: The Postgame Show
BEAR CREEK, The Overture

Apparently, I do not understand much about physics. I was certain I would read today’s paper, confirming my suspicion that the earth had indeed swung off its axis and was hurtling toward the sun. How could that NOT happen when 99.99% of all the funk in the world was concentrated in just one 500-acre park in north Florida the past four days?

The Bear Creek Music Festival just wrapped up four days of the most incredibly, astoundingly, amazingly delicious funk, R&B, jazz, rock, disco and you-name-it. The music just cascaded over everyone in the park in unseasonably warm weather (given the past three years). Every concert-goer has his or her own concert experience, of course, and with a festival of this ambition, with 63 acts (some played two different days) plus a dozen silent disco performers, the experiences are even more diverse.

But I plan to give you my take on the four days. There is so much to say, I plan to split my ravings into four posts, one per day. YOU CAN ALWAYS DELETE!

But I will get this piece out of the way right now. My least favorite act was the Roots. Set your flame-throwers to “IMMOLATE.” Their music was great; I, 62 years into the experience, am just not a hip-hop fan. That’s on me, not the music. That aside, I have never heard so many outstanding performances. I plan to fill up my hard drive with shows.

See you tomorrow.

"Remember: music is a religion. You have to pray every day."
-- Jose' Luis "Cheo" Pardo, Los Amigos Invisibles

Mon Nov 18, 2013 11:36 am Profile
Wanee Master

Post Re: BEAR CREEK 2013: The Postgame Show
I'll expound more, but for now, two words for lovers of disco funk:

SPACE CAPONE

Mon Nov 18, 2013 11:38 am Profile
Wanee Veteran

sounds like fun :)

Mon Nov 18, 2013 5:23 pm Profile
Wanee Master

BEAR CREEK 2013, some explanation (Part 2)

[Obviously, this first paragraph was for the uninitiated!]

For those who may not know, the Spirit of Suwannee Music Park in Live Oak, Florida, (off I-10 just west of I-75) is heaven. It is heaven to music-lovers of all ilks. They have numerous events throughout the year, with camping and vending and MUSIC! There are country shows, bluegrass and Americana roots events, the Allman Brothers' Wanee Festival, the new (and future?) Hulaween with String Cheese Incident, numerous Frisbee disk golf jams, the AURA jamtronica blowout, and Bear Creek, AKA, the funk fest.

This marked the 7th Bear Creek Festival, plus three previous Down on the Farm events in Quincy, so we're counting this one as #10. Every year I attend (this was my fifth BC), I leave thinking that Paul Levine and his magicians simply cannot pull an even better rabbit out of the hat the following year.

And every year I am wrong.

This was epic. It was non-stop, and when you were certain that the music could not possibly take you any higher, it did. Over and over again. I'm not a surfer (well, not THAT kind, anyway), but I imagined catching a monster wave that simply kept growing beyond all comprehension.

Four other items before I slam into the Thursday line-up. I am, usually, very social by nature. I know that most Bear Creekers really enjoy time at the campsite, chatting, singing, imbibing, and appreciating each other's company. But at Bear Creek I am so focussed on the music that I did not make much time for the many brothers and sisters we contact regularly through various social media. My sincere apologies (but I did look - in vain - for the red VW and Shortcut camp). I lucked into Home Team several times, fortunately.

I obviously enjoy writing about this stuff, and about soccer, and about the Birmingham Airport, but you can always check your e-mail or Facecrack or whatevs and say, "Oh, not another Hopkins post! DELETE!"

Having said that, let me express my sincere thanks to Mike Coe and Trevor McDannell for encouraging me to write MORE! Those remarks were extremely kind. And don't blame them. I would do this anyway, but it's great to do it with encouragement!

Finally, if Paul Levine runs for KING, I'm volunteering for his campaign committee. That is all (for the moment).

Tue Nov 19, 2013 10:11 am Profile
Wanee Master

tieyourshoes51 wrote:
"Oh, not another Hopkins post! DELETE!"

Post away my brother.....I always enjoy your Muses. Every persons ideas are unique and the personification of that person and I enjoy getting to know you....even though we have never met.......(until Wanee 2014).

[The proper use of the word Muses might be as a noun....but I am using it differently. I believe Muses were Greek Godesses over the arts , i.e. music etc. and thus the word is used as a derivative of this. Hopefully, you understand what the hell I am talking about]

The proper word would have been musing....but I took it a step further.

Last edited by Rivernole on Tue Nov 19, 2013 6:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Nov 19, 2013 10:33 am Profile
Wanee Lover

Rivernole wrote:
tieyourshoes51 wrote:
"Oh, not another Hopkins post! DELETE!"

Post away my brother.....I always enjoy your Muses. Every persons ideas are unique and the personification of that person and I enjoy getting to know you....even though we have never met.......(until Wanee 2014).

And I have STILL to really meet you!! :sulk: But I do enjoy the product of your musing, AKA 'your Musings'.

Please ignore the naysayers and carry on!!

"" I'm not gonna vote for more rules... we go to festivals to get away from most of the idiotic social customs and rules for a time, and be a bit more free than the regular world lets us... keep the rules simple and few, and let kindness rule rather than a rule book... ""

THIS. ↑↑↑↑

Author - Beach Bob - Monday 20 MAY 2013 - 8:22 am
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=10529&start=10&hilit=chairs

Tue Nov 19, 2013 11:46 am Profile WWW
Wanee Lover

The Postgame Show...

I am So glad i brought ample heat sources.

American Honey and OJ, AKA a 'Bear Creek' is a GREAT way to start a day.

next time I use unscented ant killer.

I need to keep biking like festy mornings. If i want it, i will have it. That trip to walmart was short on the last day. It feels GREAT to finish 12 miles on a cool morning, as i approach age 50.. :o

more fire. :twisted:

camping closer is better. Or so they say. I am divided. I think mobility influences that preference.

more firewood. and a fire ring with grilling capability.

Cookies.

American Honey and OJ. Yeah, its that good.

It is the **coolest** thing to party with a festy cat... twice... if you cant be with the kitty you love, love the kitty you're with.
I believe festy cat was there with a caring family and left with same. I called several times in the rainy woods monday late morning and heard no response. That little kitty was vocal and not shy.
From one wandering kitty to another... Image festy cat!!

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

"" I'm not gonna vote for more rules... we go to festivals to get away from most of the idiotic social customs and rules for a time, and be a bit more free than the regular world lets us... keep the rules simple and few, and let kindness rule rather than a rule book... ""

THIS. ↑↑↑↑

Tue Nov 19, 2013 8:51 pm Profile WWW
Wanee Lover

Quote:
camping closer is better. Or so they say. I am divided. I think mobility influences that preference.

I liked camping closer to the music even before I had mobility issues. It just make the decision to pop back and forth between camp and music an easier decision when you know the walk isn’t far. :D :D

Thanks Capt Brian and Brandi for carting me back and forth from camp to music and back again. :D :D

Following the shadows of the skies or are they only figments of my eyes?
And I'm feeling close to where the race is run
Waiting in our boats to set sail, sea of joy

Wed Nov 20, 2013 10:58 pm Profile
Wanee Lover

First boot I found.... The New Mastersounds, wednesday performance. Downloading now.

http://bt.etree.org/details.php?id=568410

EDIT - good sounds. On track 2 now. ANY help in locating additional recordings appreciated!!

THIS. ↑↑↑↑

Thu Nov 21, 2013 6:51 am Profile WWW
Wanee Master

Great times TYS to bad our paths did not cross

Great to me you Volkemon

Thu Nov 21, 2013 7:26 am Profile
 [ 30 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next