Last visit was: Sun Nov 23, 2014 7:04 am It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 7:04 am

[ 26 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
 Gotta Say 
Wanee Pro

Post Re: Gotta Say
handsNfeetRmangos wrote:
funkengroovin wrote:
handsNfeetRmangos wrote:
I think that the underwhelming lineup is actually more reason to suspect that this is not the last Wanee. If it was, one would think they would try to use that as a marketing tool, would announce it as such and would bring the fire so to speak when it comes to the lineup.

That being said, I dont think its the planned last Wanee, but depending on how this one goes, things could always change. If there is a massive drop in attendance the promoters may decide it is no longer worth it to put on the fest. Now personally, I dont anticipate that there will be this huge drop off in numbers. Granted its missing one big act to co-headline, but aside from that I think its actually a strong lineup IMO. (Its funny, you take out Lynyrd Skynyrd, just take them out and not even replace them with anyone, and I think the overall outlook on the lineup changes dramatically. ) Plus Wanee and SoS have a certain pedigree. Wanee has become a yearly tradition for many people, and nearly everyone who goes to SoS raves about it and wants to go back. I can personally speak on this when I say that I am going this year only 50% for the music and the other 50% is for the opportunity to spend a weekend surrounded by great people at one of my favorite places on earth.

I really think Wanee will live on, but maybe I am just being unrealistically optimisticc.

Unfortunately, I really think there will be a drop in attendance this year, the last 3 years have been the biggest years but they also featured WSP/Furthur who sold a lot of tickets on their own, I would estimate those two bands brought in 5,000-10,000 unique fans that might not come just for the Brothers and the undercard. Deadheads and Spreadheads are willing to cover a lot of ground and tour along with their respective bands, that draw is just not going to be there this year. I know Furthur brought a lot more people, in my opinion 2012 was the most packed I have seen SOSMP for Wanee.

I like the lineup, I am excited about a lot of it but at the same token I am disappointed with it in many ways. First and foremost that everything about Wanee has gone up in price and without any doubt or question the amount of money they are spending on talent is down considerably. I have no doubt in my mind the budget for talent this year is down at least 20% from last year. I anticipate this will hurt attendance.

I anticipate a 5,000 person drop, I dont think that would be dramatic. That would still leave it as the biggest fest at SoS (I dont know how big the country music fest is but that doesnt count). Now I would consider a 10,000 person drop to be dramatic, which would drop the attendance down to Bear Creek size. I dont see that happening, but then again I could be wrong. I am wrong a lot.

A 5,000 person drop will be very noticeable, if a campsite averages 4 people that is down 1,250 campsites, also if those 5,000 people spent an average of only $100 per person on extras that is also a $500,000 drop in revenue and I feel that is a realistic average. Trust this is not what anyone running this festival wants to see happen.

I am sure people around here won't mind, after all more room but it could hurt the future of Wanee.

Wed Jan 22, 2014 9:50 am Profile
Wanee Gnome

I agree with everyone here. I like a smaller crowd as well but I found I can bear with it...
I believe attendance will be down quite a bit as a result of the cost to what you get scenario.

The other festivals mentioned had a much more reasonable cost for reserved camping. In fact, I think the cost was less than half the $300 that they charged this year for Wanee. I was at Hullaween and reserved camping was about half what it is for Wanee. By the way, the Hulaween changes to the park were very nice!

Wed Jan 22, 2014 12:51 pm Profile
Wanee Mushroom

funkengroovin wrote:
handsNfeetRmangos wrote:
I think that the underwhelming lineup is actually more reason to suspect that this is not the last Wanee. If it was, one would think they would try to use that as a marketing tool, would announce it as such and would bring the fire so to speak when it comes to the lineup.

That being said, I dont think its the planned last Wanee, but depending on how this one goes, things could always change. If there is a massive drop in attendance the promoters may decide it is no longer worth it to put on the fest. Now personally, I dont anticipate that there will be this huge drop off in numbers. Granted its missing one big act to co-headline, but aside from that I think its actually a strong lineup IMO. (Its funny, you take out Lynyrd Skynyrd, just take them out and not even replace them with anyone, and I think the overall outlook on the lineup changes dramatically. ) Plus Wanee and SoS have a certain pedigree. Wanee has become a yearly tradition for many people, and nearly everyone who goes to SoS raves about it and wants to go back. I can personally speak on this when I say that I am going this year only 50% for the music and the other 50% is for the opportunity to spend a weekend surrounded by great people at one of my favorite places on earth.

I really think Wanee will live on, but maybe I am just being unrealistically optimisticc.

Unfortunately, I really think there will be a drop in attendance this year, the last 3 years have been the biggest years but they also featured WSP/Furthur who sold a lot of tickets on their own, I would estimate those two bands brought in 5,000-10,000 unique fans that might not come just for the Brothers and the undercard. Deadheads and Spreadheads are willing to cover a lot of ground and tour along with their respective bands, that draw is just not going to be there this year. I know Furthur brought a lot more people, in my opinion 2012 was the most packed I have seen SOSMP for Wanee.

I like the lineup, I am excited about a lot of it but at the same token I am disappointed with it in many ways. First and foremost that everything about Wanee has gone up in price and without any doubt or question the amount of money they are spending on talent is down considerably. I have no doubt in my mind the budget for talent this year is down at least 20% from last year. I anticipate this will hurt attendance.

Well said Funken, and I agree completely. I also think attendance will be down, perhaps way down, versus the last few years especially. WSP and Furthur really brought the crowds, and their absence this year will hurt attendance regardless of the other acts on the lineup. Couple that with the "less than enthusiastic" response to Lynyrd Skynyrd being on the bill, a down economy, (let's face it, many folks I know just don't have the money this year to do things like festivals), and (arguably) better lineups at other festivals this year like Peach and Lockn', and I see the Wanee numbers down quite a bit.

I think a lot of our northern friends will stay closer to home this year, based on the above mentioned reasons. :|

Wed Jan 22, 2014 1:39 pm Profile
Wanee Wizard

This northern friend is still going to Wanee!!! :) :D 8-)

Wed Jan 22, 2014 1:53 pm Profile
Wanee Master

EnjoyingTheRide wrote:

And this now southern guy will be heading north for something .. Yet to decide..

ImageImageImage

Wed Jan 22, 2014 8:18 pm Profile
Wanee Wizard

djkeeb69 wrote:
EnjoyingTheRide wrote:

And this now southern guy will be heading north for something .. Yet to decide..

Mountain Jam has posted a pretty good line up, we're probably going to hit that one. GOTV and Peach have yet to announce but we have a new grandchild on the way in that time frame so it's going to be last minute. Lockn' is locked in! Let us know what you end up doing...

Wed Jan 22, 2014 8:48 pm Profile
 [ 26 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3