Last visit was: Sat Dec 20, 2014 5:31 pm It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 5:31 pm

[ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 How to post a picture stored online. 
Wanee Lover

Post How to post a picture stored online.
Hi! Welcome to the tutorial. :)

OK, first, DONT panic about all the pictures etc below. This really is a simple process once you know how. It just takes a lot of room to cover it completely for the first timers. I tried to assume people using this know enough to post, but not what all those buttons above the box do.

This is to show how to post pictures on the forum that you find on the web, or have stored on the web in a service like photobucket, etc. It was written using Windows XP and Chrome as a browser. Things may be different for windows Vista, 7 and 8, but the same general things should apply. I dont speak Apple, so that tutorial is up to someone else to attach to this thread.

To post pictures currently stored on your computer, use the Attach files box below the composition box, or upload them to photobucket, etc first. This method will NOT work for pictures stored on your computer without uploading them. :(

OK, lets go. Right click and open any of the pictures below in a new tab to see them better.

First, get to the picture you want. I want to get a WSP picture and post it. The pictures below are above the steps that apply to then, so scroll down to see them.

1- I search Google for 'Widespread Panic' , and then select 'Images' so I get nothing but pictures. I clicked on the one I wanted, and it opens up in the preview/info box showed below.

2- Check the image size. This one is 500x763. Not too big. LARGE pictures 'blow up' the chatbox. Try to keep them at or under 600x800. If the picture you want is bigger, and thats the only one that will do, go ahead and use it. Or resize it online, if you know how.

3- Now right click on the picture and open it in a new tab.

***************next step ***************

1- Here you see the Google search tab we were in, and the new tab to the right that displays the image we want. I clicked on that tab to bring it to the top.

2- Next I clicked on the URL, or address of the picture. It should all be highlighted in blue like this, ready to copy. If it doesnt do that automatically, or if you accidentally left click twice in the box, use CRTL+A (Hold the Control key, Crtl on most keyboards, and the 'a' key at the same time) , and it should be blue then.

NOW... sometimes i have found that the URL is too long to use later in this process. If this is the case, you will catch that in the Preview stage, which we will cover later. If that is the case, you will have to find the picture somewhere else that has a URL that will fit.

3- Right click and select Copy.

Ok, the image above shows the same thing a few times for instruction purposes. When you are doing this, you will end up with the text looking like ONLY what is in Area 4. Otherwise this step would take 4 different pictures to explain. ;)

1- Click on the Img button. {img} {/img} will appear, with the cursor blinking between them.

2- Next, paste the URL you copied in the last step here. Using CRTL+V or right click on the cursor and select Paste. It should look like this after that.
3- Now highlight everything from {img} to {/img}

4- Click the Center button. This puts your picture in the middle. Looks nicer. The text inside this box is what you should end up with. This bunch of code tells the chatbox "Go get this picture and put it in the middle"

5- Click Preview. This will let you see if it all worked, if the URL is too long, if the site doesnt permit hotlinking, etc. Makes you look like a pro when you post, not a chump that makes mistakes. :)

OK! We can see in the preview that appears above the Composition box that it all worked. You may have to scroll up to see. If You DONT see the image, make sure the URL wasnt too long, the site may have safeguards against hotlinking, or something is in the wrong place in your code. Computers are fast, but not smart. Letters and symbols in the wrong spot in your code wont work, so go back and make sure everything is in order. You may have noticed that the {img} and {center} had a {/img} or {/center} on either end, with everything they want to work with in the middle. If you accidently put the URL outside the brackets, like this- {img} {/img} http://thisisafakepictureurl.jpg it wont work. :( Same with {center}, and any other button up there.

Hang in there, almost done!!

1- Now you can add your message. Using the same highlight-and-center-button that you did for the picture, you can have your text centered below the picture. Use Right to put it to the right side -
LIKE THIS
s for Strikeout B for bold letters i for italics u to underline
and scroll should make it scroll, but doesnt seem to work here. And ALWAYS preview, preview, preview after any change just to be sure you didnt muck it up. :)

2- All Set? Submit. Then go and look at your efforts. :)

Now... it may look better to use online links instead of attachments, but there is a downside. Things could change. If my photobucket account changes, or is disabled, all the pictures above will be gone. If the site you 'borrowed' your picture from moves, its gone. Gives that little 'not a good link' picture. Image like this. Probably seen that before.. When you attach pictures, they are stored here at the forum. They will be here "forever" regardless of changes on other sites.

I am going to attach all the images used here in the next post, just in case things change. :) PEACE! and hope this helps .

"" I'm not gonna vote for more rules... we go to festivals to get away from most of the idiotic social customs and rules for a time, and be a bit more free than the regular world lets us... keep the rules simple and few, and let kindness rule rather than a rule book... ""

THIS. ↑↑↑↑

Author - Beach Bob - Monday 20 MAY 2013 - 8:22 am
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=10529&start=10&hilit=chairs

Thu Jan 23, 2014 12:43 pm Profile WWW
Wanee Lover

Post Re: How to post a picture stored online.
Alrighty, here are the Attached files, just in case change happens.

OK, two posts needed. :)

""Cannot add another attachment, 3 is the maximum.""

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

"" I'm not gonna vote for more rules... we go to festivals to get away from most of the idiotic social customs and rules for a time, and be a bit more free than the regular world lets us... keep the rules simple and few, and let kindness rule rather than a rule book... ""

THIS. ↑↑↑↑

Thu Jan 23, 2014 12:48 pm Profile WWW
Wanee Lover

Last two pics...

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

THIS. ↑↑↑↑

Thu Jan 23, 2014 12:49 pm Profile WWW
Wanee Wizard

Look at you go just helping everybody out again! :) Can't wait to meet you Randy, and I need to no more about this job of yours, we'll talk later! :lol:

Thu Jan 23, 2014 1:00 pm Profile
Wanee Master

Is this gonna be on the test?? :lol:

Thu Jan 23, 2014 2:03 pm Profile
Wanee Lover

Jensen B Gator wrote:
Is this gonna be on the test?? :lol:

And you will be judged on"technical merit" (in the free paste), "required elements" (in the short program), and “presentation" (in both programs).

Following the shadows of the skies or are they only figments of my eyes?
And I'm feeling close to where the race is run
Waiting in our boats to set sail, sea of joy

Thu Jan 23, 2014 2:17 pm Profile
Wanee Lover

Nice thorough explanation Randy! Job well done! 8-) 8-)

Fri Jan 24, 2014 4:08 am Profile
Wanee Master

Thanks for the in service. Now I can post all of my Shaun Cassidy pix on here!

Fri Jan 24, 2014 4:16 am Profile
Wanee Master

AndieBee wrote:
Thanks for the in service. Now I can post all of my Shaun Cassidy pix on here!

Forget Shaun! How about Biebs getting busted for DUI! BWA HA HA

But seriously, Randy, this is brilliant. Thank you. I am going to work up the courage to try it!

"Remember: music is a religion. You have to pray every day."
-- Jose' Luis "Cheo" Pardo, Los Amigos Invisibles

Fri Jan 24, 2014 9:10 am Profile
Wanee Lover

To be complimented on teaching by a teacher. Image

THIS. ↑↑↑↑

Fri Jan 24, 2014 9:16 am Profile WWW
 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next