Last visit was: Fri Oct 24, 2014 2:06 pm It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 2:06 pm

[ 20 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 hitchhiker curiosity question 
Wanee Lover

Post Re: hitchhiker curiosity question
mushdaddy wrote:
Problem with Florida is, that everyone that lives here is from someplace else, 'cept for me and JBGator. ;) :lol:

Miami born…North Shore Hospital

If I had room I would definitely pick them up. I am a trusting soul.

Back in the late 60’s my brother did a lot of hitchhiking across the U.S. He’d usually make it back home with another hippie freak for a few days visit at our home.

Following the shadows of the skies or are they only figments of my eyes?
And I'm feeling close to where the race is run
Waiting in our boats to set sail, sea of joy

Tue Feb 04, 2014 3:56 pm Profile
Wanee Master

Depends... I picked up a guy once and he said can I put this bag in your trunk? It was a burlap sack. I said sure, what's in it? He said: " The rattlesnake that bit me." I'm a little more discriminating now, sorry.

Tue Feb 04, 2014 5:48 pm Profile
Wanee Lover

mushdaddy wrote:
Problem with Florida is, that everyone that lives here is from someplace else, 'cept for me and JBGator. ;) :lol:

At the Sunshine Blues fest, we were just miles away from the hospital I was born in.

"" I'm not gonna vote for more rules... we go to festivals to get away from most of the idiotic social customs and rules for a time, and be a bit more free than the regular world lets us... keep the rules simple and few, and let kindness rule rather than a rule book... ""

THIS. ↑↑↑↑

Author - Beach Bob - Monday 20 MAY 2013 - 8:22 am
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=10529&start=10&hilit=chairs

Tue Feb 04, 2014 7:44 pm Profile WWW
Wanee Fan

When I was younger, loose and carefree, we hitch hiked everywhere we went. But back then (early 70's) most people that picked us up were just like us, cool fun loving, laid back hippy's. This was when Orlando's population was only 50k.
I met a lot of cool chicks hitch hiking and many good memories. We would hitch hike to Tampa Stadium to see a concert and then end up going to the Keys, or hanging out at the beach or whatever happened. Man those days were fun then!
Nowaday's everything is different. I rarely pick up hitch hikers.
BUT, if I saw a cute lil thing or two heading to Wanee, I would definetly stop and offer my assistance to them.

Gettin' High
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xJgtVFKQUb4

Tue Feb 04, 2014 8:52 pm Profile WWW
Wanee Master

mushdaddy wrote:

8-)
but my real problem with this scenario is that when I'm on my way to Wanee I'm packed to the gills.
So they'd have to be strapped to the luggage rack. ;)

Wed Feb 05, 2014 7:32 am Profile
Wanee Veteran

Volkemon wrote:
mushdaddy wrote:

At the Sunshine Blues fest, we were just miles away from the hospital I was born in.

I wasnt there, but it was about a mile from where I was born. Bayfront.

Wed Feb 05, 2014 9:41 am Profile
Wanee Lover

I've had many epic adventures hitching and picking up hitchers. Haven't hitched on purpose in a LONG time if you don't count the golf carts at Wanee. I don't really see many people with their thumbs out anymore but when I do it's strictly a game time decision to pick them up or not. Going to a fest it's not going to happen. We typically have our van PACKED. No room for riders and no seats for them to sit on. I could strap them to the luggage rack but so far no takers.

Wed Feb 05, 2014 2:38 pm Profile
Wanee Lover

Wanee 2013 I picked up a hitchhiker on I-10, maybe 20 miles from the park. Pass the time, just to see another slice of life. I still had my first WANEE glow on. I have some pretty good (and proven) defense measures in the bus, so i felt very secure in picking him up.

Toothless (well, for the casual exam i gave...) and smelled like he had been living in the woods for days.

Turned out it was 4 days, since he left tampa. LONG story short, he got pissed when a 'roomie' at the flophouse wouldnt give him a smoke, so when roomie went to the bathroom, he took one. Escalate to police called and petty theft charges and assault (!) charges.

I had some fruit in the front, he devoured a few oranges. He declined the apples, saying he couldnt chew them.

He was going to a 'new life' in Ft Ticonderoga NY. There was an uncle up there who he was friendly with. Hadnt talked for a while, but friendly. His plan was to use a bailsman to bail out of jail (check) scoot out of town before the case went to trial, default on the bondsman (check) Make his way to NY hitchhiking (in progress) and hideout with uncle (plan). He would have no problem financially, cause he had already switched his disability check to mail to his uncle's place (fail).

They will never find him. :lol:

Now about 20 miles outside of JAX i stopped for gas. He went out to buy a cigarette or two from...anyone. Said he would offer then a dime a piece. I did the math, and I dont smoke but I think that math is a bit shy. Thats $2 a pack, right?

He came back with 6. Smoked 2 (!) while i filled up and went inside, asking him to stand at the back of the bus where I could see him. He seemed to show no discomfort in the request, it felt weird to me to feel the need to... but I did.

Back on the road, we got to 95. He going north, me going south. It is pouring.

I dug out a Disney poncho with the Littlest mermaid cast all over it , and gave him the rest of the oranges along with some bananas i had in back.

Last I saw, he was off in a downpour, motivated and marching up the entrance ramp. Smoke in the mouth, and food in hand. Man with a plan, and prolly the best he felt in days.

Glad it wasn't me. I dont have so many bad days now reflecting on his lot in life. :mrgreen: I am more serene and content for picking up a hitchhiker. Might try it again if I have an open seat.

"" I'm not gonna vote for more rules... we go to festivals to get away from most of the idiotic social customs and rules for a time, and be a bit more free than the regular world lets us... keep the rules simple and few, and let kindness rule rather than a rule book... ""

THIS. ↑↑↑↑

Author - Beach Bob - Monday 20 MAY 2013 - 8:22 am
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=10529&start=10&hilit=chairs

Wed Feb 05, 2014 5:18 pm Profile WWW
Wanee Gnome

nickyler wrote:
mushdaddy wrote:
nickyler wrote:
It also might get you murdered to death,

Bingo!!

I think you have to ask them the 3 questions. How many Walkers have you killed? How many people have you killed? and Why? Then you can let them in your camp

^^^This!!! :D

Thu Feb 06, 2014 9:07 am Profile
Wanee Lover

Volkemon wrote:
Wanee 2013 I picked up a hitchhiker...
I dug out a Disney poncho with the Littlest mermaid cast all over it , and gave him the rest of the oranges along with some bananas i had in back.

Last I saw, he was off in a downpour, motivated and marching up the entrance ramp. Smoke in the mouth, and food in hand. Man with a plan, and prolly the best he felt in days.

Glad it wasn't me. I dont have so many bad days now reflecting on his lot in life. :mrgreen: I am more serene and content for picking up a hitchhiker. Might try it again if I have an open seat.

Volkemon's Angel Training Assessment:
Compassion (great)
Empathy (great)
Gratitude (excellent)

I knew you were special! Keep up the good work!

Thu Feb 06, 2014 3:30 pm Profile
 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2