Last visit was: Wed Apr 23, 2014 7:53 am It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 7:53 am

[ 30 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Festivals vs. SOS 
Wanee Gnome

Post Festivals vs. SOS
I might get flamed here but this is important to me. I've been coming to SOS for over 10 years. This was my first Wanee, and by no means am I picking on this festival alone. I've never been to the Bear Creek shows. I'm a long time Magfest patron.

My point is I felt like this festival was more important than the park. Don't get me wrong, I had a great time, but I didn't feel the "Spirit" of the Suwanee. I understand it rained, and the field was a mud pit. I understand this was one of, if not the biggest crowds ever at this venue. However the entire 4 days I was there it didn't feel like Suwanee to me, especially when I left.

This place means a lot to me, and I really don't like it when I see people abuse the hell out of it. I have never seen as much trash spread through the woods as I did this show. I took a ride around the park about 4pm Sunday and it looked like a dump. I have never seen this place like this. It made me very sad. I saw people the entire weekend just throwing trash wherever they wanted. The mud in the field was puking plastic cups. I hiked down the river to the old bridge and there were beer cans and other various camping materials passing by.

Don't get me wrong, I had a great time, and met a bunch of new friends. But I had a bad vibe the entire weekend. In the fog Saturday night I felt the park screaming. I've noticed in the last few years that our usual campsites have more and more "artifacts" around them.

Vasser wanted a place in this area where great music would harmonize with the spirit of the land around it. Whether it be Wanee or Bear Creek or Magfest or Springfest, the park is what is important. Please if you ever visit this place again, keep that in mind. Places like this are far and few between.

Wed Jun 17, 2009 2:47 am Profile
Wanee Lover

Post Re: Festivals vs. SOS
I think alot of it had to do with the rain,as far as campsite garbage,people are just wet and tired by sunday and really don't care about anything but geting out of there and home.
You should have seen it 2 years ago when we had that
2:00 am rain.There were tents and all kind of chairs and what
not left behind.The feild at the peach stage was under a foot of water with kegs and garbage flooting around,the rain is no excuse though.It was the biggest crowd ive ever seen at wanee and ive been to all of them.I guess people are just lazy!!

http://mulearmy.proboards.com/index.cgi?

Wed Jun 17, 2009 6:49 am Profile
Wanee Master

As a pretty active festival and concert goer, I think it's important to try and police your own area starting with your family or people you camp with. We went green and brought cups that were not disposable. Some boards have organized Green Teams that actively clean up after shows (although SOS would be a major task since it is so huge, this is where policing your own area comes in). I hear what you are saying, but would still like to believe that most people are not pigs and would do the right thing if educated and properly motivated. Being able to enjoy a beautiful venue next time should be motivation enough.

Wed Jun 17, 2009 7:33 am Profile
Wanee Lover

I agree with ya Andie, When we were leaving on sunday morning I couldnt get over the trash. I was walking over to put all our trash in the garbage and realized the camp next to us "they left already" had created a new garbage pile, there were left flip flops and a umbrella. So we pick up the garbage that was laying around and put it into the correct garbage. It was kinda sad how people just had no respect for the nature and just threw there crap where ever they wanted. My roomate was really big on making sure every we have was bio-degradable, had ash trays for cig butts, garbage back tied around our canopy. And when we left, there was nothing, but land. Just the way we found it.

Wed Jun 17, 2009 8:38 am Profile WWW
Wanee Lover

I will have to disagree with you Jackstraw on the trash left behind at SOS.I didnt leave until Monday and the garbage was gone.I also rode around Sunday and did not see what you saw.I dont live to far from the park and visit it quite often.Your gonna get some trash with a crowd that large and some assholes that dont clean up but when I left it was the same beautiful SOS that we all love.If festivals are going to be bad for the park and its environment then why are they holding them there?

Wed Jun 17, 2009 2:42 pm Profile
Wanee Lover

My first Wanee after the show closed Sat night at the Peach Stage and everyone was walking off I was so moved/disturbed/saddened by the amount of trash left by people who were there watching the show and the wonderful inspiring music. I cried out and started petitioning people around me saying just pick up a few cups or some trash or something...I almost started to cry. I just don't understand how people can trash something so beautiful. It helped when I came back through a few hours later and it was all clean. The cleaning team does a wonderful job...so it made it a little better. (thank you clean up crew) The people who trash their areas have to live in that kind of squaller and that is their punishment; because if that is what they do to nature, what does thier house look like? Gross.

No worries though like IL2P says when we left it was all beautiful again and had its wonderful SOS shine. I do disagree because I felt the Spirit while I was there the whole time and the fact that the peace was there with the largest ever crowd says something to me. Everyone was all smiles....still no a holes... that will never cease to amaze me. WANNNEEEEE foreva!!! :P

Wed Jun 17, 2009 2:51 pm Profile
Wanee Lover

Right-on sista!!!!!!!

Wed Jun 17, 2009 2:56 pm Profile
Wanee Veteran

I would have to agree with the fact that I was shocked at some of the stuff I saw left behind throughout the park, and in the woods. Absolutely shocked. However....I also didn't just leave it there. My camp-mates and I did our part to help keep the park (or anyplace for that matter) clean, as it should be. One cup at a time people! We just need to spread the word!

Wed Jun 17, 2009 2:58 pm Profile
Wanee Lover

I love it..."one cup at a time"....maybe we should make shirts next year.

Wed Jun 17, 2009 3:01 pm Profile
Wanee Lover

Yes, it is sad that some have so little regard for their impact on all they touch.

But on the upside, SOS has to hire someone to clean all this stuff up....It provides a few jobs for the local economy. In the end, we end up paying more for tickets to provide this service. I'm OK with that....as long as it gets cleaned up.

Trashing an area that will not get cleaned up is a far worse thing....like our rivers!

Wed Jun 17, 2009 3:03 pm Profile
 [ 30 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next