Last visit was: Wed Nov 26, 2014 4:16 pm It is currently Wed Nov 26, 2014 4:16 pm

[ 15 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 R.I.P. Paco De Lucia 
Wanee Lover

Post R.I.P. Paco De Lucia
Had the awesome experience of seeing "The Trio*" of Paco, John McLaughlin, Al Di Meola way back in the 80's in a small lecture hall/theater at Tulane University.

*Steve Morse was opening act and after 1 or two songs into their set they asked Steve to join them, so there sat only a few feet in front of me four of the top guitar players, all jamming on 12-string guitars! It still gives me chill bumps to think about it. I was transported (to where? maybe the Emerald Beyond? I'm not sure), and never came back. This should explain a lot about me to others that might not be as guitarded.

Wed Feb 26, 2014 5:03 pm Profile
Wanee Fan

Post Re: R.I.P. Paco De Lucia
Jealous...

RIP Paco..

Wed Feb 26, 2014 5:44 pm Profile
Wanee Lover

The best flamenco guitarist ever! I wore Friday Night in San Francisco out.

Wed Feb 26, 2014 8:04 pm Profile
Wanee Fan

i love me some spanish guitar. i had never heard of this guy. thank you for turning me on to him. at least one good thing came of his passing

Wed Feb 26, 2014 8:12 pm Profile
Wanee Peach

Wow rev. I was blessed to see the trio, but never those 4 together! I did get to see the Dregs open for Little Feat though... the memories start to flood... Thanks for turning on the faucet! :D

Wed Feb 26, 2014 10:29 pm Profile
Wanee Master

My head nearly exploded imagining Morse with the trio.

I never saw Paco, and somehow I have never seen Morse, either.

Rats...

"Remember: music is a religion. You have to pray every day."
-- Jose' Luis "Cheo" Pardo, Los Amigos Invisibles

Thu Feb 27, 2014 11:08 am Profile
Wanee Lover

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Isa9JpzMtF4&list=PL6lJKoc15xmYLgZvQPlth-abRdkPOxllp

Thu Feb 27, 2014 12:18 pm Profile
Wanee Lover

Sad news indeed. I too never got to see Paco. This makes it even harder. RIP

Thu Feb 27, 2014 2:11 pm Profile
Wanee Lover

thanks Pete! Great link! :D :D :D Always appreciate a link to any of the 3-D's of music, i.e., the Dead, the Dan, and the Dregs! 8-)

I first heard the Dixie Dregs in 1976 in the mall record store while on a first date with what become my high school sweetheart. I was so blown away by what I was hearing that I mostly ignored my date and hung out in the store to hear the entire album (Freefall).

Later after my Mom had dropped her off and was asking me about our "date", I was embarrassed that I had probably failed to make a good impression, but the next day she came to school with a gift of Freefall on 8-track! Grand Prix ready! I don't know how I survived driving with that music in my car. Blaring as loud as my Jensen Tri-axial speakers could play I drove everywhere VERY fast!

Later in the 80's all of the pop fans were so amazed by Eddie Van Halen's guitar, but I knew of Steve Morse, and couldn't help being a music snob, very unimpressed with Mr. Bertinelli. :lol:

Thu Feb 27, 2014 3:17 pm Profile
Wanee Lover

Reverend you have seen more cool music of yesteryear. unbelievable! I had the opportunity to see the original Dixie Dregs lineup one time. In 1981 opening for guess who? The Atlanta Rhythm Section along with a guy we are going to hear at Wanee. The Johnny Van Zant Band! Should have been reversed as far as I'm concerned. I have to ask, we're you lucky enough to hear the original Mahavishnu Orchestra? I bet the answer is yes.

Thu Feb 27, 2014 4:35 pm Profile
 [ 15 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next