Last visit was: Fri Oct 31, 2014 6:07 pm It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 6:07 pm

[ 160 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 16  Next
 What was your LAST show? Show reviews 
Wanee Master

Post Re: What was your LAST show? Show reviews
New Earth Army absolutely tore it up at the Dunedin Brewery last night! Check them out. Like them here on Facecrack. And consider funding their Kickstarter project. I just did! Review to follow (soon!).

http://theneweartharmy.net/

"Remember: music is a religion. You have to pray every day."
-- Jose' Luis "Cheo" Pardo, Los Amigos Invisibles

Fri Mar 21, 2014 8:47 pm Profile
Wanee Master

Noticed in the pix ...one of the band members had on a Wanee shirt.. :)

Sat Mar 22, 2014 10:13 am Profile
Wanee Master

HOLEY MISS MOLEY
The Amsterdam, St. Petersburg 03.14.14

My daughter the biologist tells me that crosspollination is a good thing, yielding interesting and beneficial results. After hearing Holey Miss Moley tear it up at the Amsterdam with help from members of four other bands, I’d say she’s exactly right.

The crosspollination made this a fun show, but make no mistake about it: Holey Miss Moley owned the night, with the strongest performance from them I’ve ever seen. I would make the same comment I’ve made about so many other bands, paraphrasing Tim Turner of Shak Nasti: “These boys have been practicing!”

Holey Miss Moley is a quintet dripping in jazz, funk, rock and blues with a touch of reggae and ska thrown in for good measure. The rhythm section of Kenny Harvey and Tony Morales (bass and drums) made sure everything was locked down tight, deep in the groove, while Chuck McIntyre jumped back and forth between his keyboards and his alto saxophone. Christian Ryan (alto sax) is currently playing (extremely well) with so many Florida bands that you’d need a program just to keep it all straight. He is a monster.

And once again Jacob Cox on guitar blew me away. In fact, there are so many great guitar players here in the center swath of Florida it is truly amazing. This music scene is so strong and so vibrant. And Cox can play with anybody. This was just a superior outing for them all.

When I arrived at the Amsterdam (first time – what a great place in downtown St. Pete!), I immediately ran into Chris Sgammato of Displace – and his lovely mom! Partway through the first set, HMM arm-twisted Chris into getting his alto sax, and from there things began to get nuts – in the very best way possible. They smoked three or four great songs before set break.

By this point, the members of Come Back Alice had drifted in after an early gig *somewhere* in St. Pete (I couldn’t find it!). Several tunes into the second set, they called up Tony Tyler, CBA’s triple-threat man (vocals, guitar, B3), to play drums! on “One Way Out” (well, it was an ABB song – things got a bit fuzzy). OK, amend that: quadruple-threat! Then CBA’s superb drummer, Yral Morris, got on the traps, and later it was Big Bad John Werner’s turn on bass. Everybody was having a blast! (I am just sorry Miss Dani Jaye) didn’t come up!)

Andy Lytle of Happy Campers also did sit-ins on guitar AND bass, and that was great, too. After a second short set break, Meesta Juanjamon of Cope and his tenor sax stepped up to the mike, and it was just heavenly. After a covers-heavy first set (a very wise decision given the make-up of the crowd, they played lots of HMM originals. At one point, I said to myself, “I KNOW this song. What is it?” DUH! It was “Devil Funk,” the single just released earlier in the day on youTube. I DID know it, and it sounded awesome.

And I called a cover that is a favorite of mine, “Ain’t No Use.” With no disrespect to the Meters or Panic or anybody, this was a righteous version of the song. It bespoke the new level that Holey Miss Moley’s boys (well, they’re all “boys” to me!) have reached. I am loving life and the wonderful music scene here in Florida.

SO GET OUT AND SUPPORT LIVE MUSIC, WON’T YOU, PLEASE?

Sat Mar 22, 2014 3:51 pm Profile
Wanee Gnome

LOVE PANIC
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r7c-PVeWoxQ
Hit control when yhou click on the link :)

Sun Mar 23, 2014 2:09 pm Profile
Wanee Lover

HavinAGoodTime wrote:
Hit control when you click on the link :)

Neat trick!! Thanks for the knowledge!
Clicking with the center button on my mouse, (using chrome), opens in a new tab also.

"" I'm not gonna vote for more rules... we go to festivals to get away from most of the idiotic social customs and rules for a time, and be a bit more free than the regular world lets us... keep the rules simple and few, and let kindness rule rather than a rule book... ""

THIS. ↑↑↑↑

Author - Beach Bob - Monday 20 MAY 2013 - 8:22 am
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=10529&start=10&hilit=chairs

Sun Mar 23, 2014 2:45 pm Profile WWW
Wanee Master

HavinAGoodTime wrote:
Hit control when yhou click on the link

Never knew that would work....Nice....

Sun Mar 23, 2014 2:49 pm Profile
Wanee Master

NEW EARTH ARMY
Dunedin Brewery 03.20.14

There was this note. This one note. THE note. In the back of my head, I was thinking: “dayenu:” it would have been sufficient. It would have been sufficient if all I had heard was that ONE NOTE. Or if all I had heard was Carly Foster’s powerful voice. Or if all I had heard was the excellent trio on guitar, bass, and drums. Or if all I had heard was the superb wrangling and intertwining saxophones. It would have been sufficient.

But I heard ALL of it. I first saw New Earth Army at the inaugural Downtown River Jam in Ybor City in December. I was totally captivated and was certainly looking forward to a second helping. NEA hails from Destin (and parts east and west, I think), so it was great to see them make a brief foray out of the Panhandle to points east and south.

NEA plays jazzy, funky rock and blues, and they play with power, grace and style. You have to start with a solid rhythm section, and that is an understatement speaking about Mike Flatau on bass, one of the founders of NEA, and Jacoby Jackson, a recent replacement in the drum seat. Jacoby’s time is spot-on, and Mike works in tandem with him to provide that rock-steady beat. Chavis Hobbs (another NEA founder) is a great guitar player (Florida has so many truly excellent guitar players!!!), and this trio just plain rocks.

On the first NEA CD, “Action,” the group was a quartet with Foster on vocals. More recently, they wisely decided to add Josh Zook, alto sax, and Ben Johnson, tenor, to the mix. The addition of the two horns sends the music through the roof! At one point, they were deep, deep in the funk pocket, and I thought, as I often do, “Where in the world would we have been without James Brown?” Not a random thought: the heavy funk that NEA and almost every other band in the “jam” or “funk” genre mine so lovingly all goes back to James Brown. If you’re not convinced, you better sit down and re-listen to James Brown at the Apollo, Vol. II (1968).

NEA mixes interesting covers with some great originals. Visually, it is impossible not to watch slinky singer Carly fronting the band. Let me amend that: she’s not “slinky;” she IS a slinky, dancing and gyrating with grace as she sings up a storm. I again have the thought that her voice and that of so many of the vocalists in the bands on our circuit are so vastly superior to the rubbish on commercial radio and the hit charts. Carly’s is lilting and powerful all at once.

And there was that note. You remember the one. That one note. If that’s all I had heard, I would have gone home happy. Seriously. If you are familiar with Lee Michaels’ version of “Stormy Monday” on his self-titled album, you’ve heard THE NOTE. It penetrates right down to your soul. Carly hit it during a great original called “Lens of Love.” My soul took notice. I introduced myself to her at setbreak and asked her about the note. “You mean this one?” And she sang it, albeit not with the thrust it had on stage. Yep, I said, THAT one. And she smiled!

New Earth Army has a new CD in the works, almost ready for release. They have a Kickstarter project if you are interested. And watch for them to tour our way again. You can bet I’ll be front and center when they hit the Orange Blossom Jam stage in May!

http://theneweartharmy.net/

Sun Mar 23, 2014 3:20 pm Profile
Wanee Lover

Volkemon wrote:
Getting closer...

Ruth Eckerd Hall (my audience recording)
Clearwater, Florida
September 30, 2005
2 discs / AUD A
Note: Another excellent show!
Artwork:

Got it. Image

Starting track 12, disc 2 now...Angry Eyes.. lets see how it sounds. :mrgreen:

<<listens... WOW! Fun Jam!!

PM me your addy Scott, and I will mail you a copy. Good AUD recording.

"" I'm not gonna vote for more rules... we go to festivals to get away from most of the idiotic social customs and rules for a time, and be a bit more free than the regular world lets us... keep the rules simple and few, and let kindness rule rather than a rule book... ""

THIS. ↑↑↑↑

Author - Beach Bob - Monday 20 MAY 2013 - 8:22 am
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=10529&start=10&hilit=chairs

Thu Mar 27, 2014 4:30 am Profile WWW
Wanee Veteran

tieyourshoes51 wrote:
Boy, was I wrong! They [Loggins & Messina] were spectacular! Amazing. They had a young dude who could play anything with strings. We heard him on guitar, mandolin, violin and pedal steel. And then, early in the first set, the bass player had stomach flu and was gone for the night. Whatever would they do? STRING DUDE TO THE RESCUE! He never missed a single note (well, insofar as I could tell).

Does anybody know who this cat was? Would have been 2005 or so in Clearwater.

Volkemon wrote:
Quote:
The show got off to a rocky start because during "Back To Georgia" the bass player fell ill and left the stage. This necessitated an early intermission while they decided how to carry on without half of the rhythm section. When the concert continued they went into acoustic mode which included a song from Messina's Poco days (You Better Think Twice) as well as a Buffalo Springfield song (Kind Woman). While Loggins and Messina performed on acoustic guitars they were very relaxed and jovial. It had the effect of sitting around a living room listening to them talk and play. When they returned to electric mode the fiddle player, Gabe Witcher, took over bass guitar duties and did more than an admirable job.

Source - http://www.geocities.jp/mad_hatter1959/L_M_20050930.htm

Hmmm, yes. Gabe Witcher... that makes sense. I saw Gabe on the teevee years ago, playing a live date with Kenny Loggins. He's quite the hired hand / gunslinger, and truly an ace player. Saw him back in ?? 2005 or so, in Jerry Douglas's band, when Jerry played SpringFest. He was amazing on that gig as well.

And to bring this full circle, just saw Gabe this past weekend at SpringFest, since he's currently one of the Punch Brothers :D ... Chris and Gabe and Noam and the rest of the boys were amazing; as in not-of-this-earth level of playing. Punch Brothers and the Southern Soul Assembly were at the very tippy top of the SpringFest highlights (of which there were many!) in what was one of the finest SpringFests I've ever been to, musical performance-wise. Nearly everyone was excellent.

That's my SpringFest review. Hey, I'm no Tieyourshoes! :lol:

Thu Mar 27, 2014 2:45 pm Profile
Wanee Veteran

like this http://vimeo.com/90355576

Fri Mar 28, 2014 6:44 pm Profile
 [ 160 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 16  Next