Last visit was: Sat Apr 25, 2015 4:49 am It is currently Sat Apr 25, 2015 4:49 am

[ 48 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Observations Wanee 2015 edition... 
Wanee Veteran

Post Observations Wanee 2015 edition...
Well, back to furk...Wanee 2015 was a great time, enjoyed getting out there and having a good listen to some tunes. Enjoyed meeting some new folks and seeing some old faces.

I think attendance turned out to be well down from years past, certainly something I am sort of ok with as it makes life in the park easier/more comfortable but I would guesstimate it was a bit of a disappointment for Livenation. I really believe they will need to start investing a bit more into Wanee to get the numbers back up, I think the spreadheads really kept Wanee afloat this year.

Production value of the festival seemed to be down a little, I did not see anything new or particularly memorable as far as lighting or production. Also, I feel the sound at the stages was down a bit from years past, I could barely hear it at our campsite this year, last year we could hear the mushroom stage all the way down river road, I just don't think they brought in as much sound. A lot of recycled Wanee decorations from years past but nothing that stood out as new, seems like par for the course.

Some great sets loved seeing: WSMFP, Gregg, twiddle, Dumpstaphunk, The Word, Tea Leaf, JJ Grey, Mule, PTF...All in all this year the music was great and I enjoyed everything we had time to see.

Could have used a little more gas in the tank on Thursday and in my opinion I would really like to see them bring a serious lineup back on Thursday next year, even though I enjoyed the heck out of Hot Tuna and Pink Talking Fish, I hope going forward they consider something a bit more new and exciting to get the festival started off proper next year. No one I talked with about the festival seemed particularly excited about Thursday and the Mushroom stage felt pretty empty Thursday night this year.

Mon Apr 20, 2015 11:54 am Profile
Wanee Mushroom

Post Re: Observations Wanee 2015 edition...
As always, Wanee is a wonderful time. I actually cried the first day because I was so happy to be back at that amazing place. This was the 5th Wanee for my husband and me. First the positive. The music was awesome, the park was beautiful, I thoroughly enjoyed hooping to the music this year, the food was great, there were a ton of beautiful families with kids, and I was happy the river was open to enjoy a little lounging on the beach!
I hate saying anything negative at all about our experience, because overall it was great, but the vibe to me was a tad off this year. Maybe it was where we were camping (F) or maybe it was just that we were more aware of what was going on around us since it was our first year going solo. It was the first year that, as a female, I would have felt uncomfortable walking alone at night. I received several innapropriate sexual comments that were loud enough to be heard by myself and my husband. And I was simply wearing shorts and a tank top (not that wearing anything less gives anyone the right to make vulgar statements). I felt that it was so unlike anything that I've ever experienced there.
I felt that the police presence was more than I've ever seen. Not that that hinders my experience, but whether you're doin anything wrong or not, it makes the vibe a little uncomfy.
I will absolutely return to Wanee because I love that place and the experience so much, but that's just my 2 cents. Wondering if anyone felt the same?

Mon Apr 20, 2015 12:17 pm Profile
Wanee Lover

It got really wild and i had the time of my life. that is all i got. southern panic doesn't mess around.

Mon Apr 20, 2015 12:27 pm Profile
Wanee Veteran

Livelovelaugh wrote:
As always, Wanee is a wonderful time. I actually cried the first day because I was so happy to be back at that amazing place. This was the 5th Wanee for my husband and me. First the positive. The music was awesome, the park was beautiful, I thoroughly enjoyed hooping to the music this year, the food was great, there were a ton of beautiful families with kids, and I was happy the river was open to enjoy a little lounging on the beach!
I hate saying anything negative at all about our experience, because overall it was great, but the vibe to me was a tad off this year. Maybe it was where we were camping (F) or maybe it was just that we were more aware of what was going on around us since it was our first year going solo. It was the first year that, as a female, I would have felt uncomfortable walking alone at night. I received several innapropriate sexual comments that were loud enough to be heard by myself and my husband. And I was simply wearing shorts and a tank top (not that wearing anything less gives anyone the right to make vulgar statements). I felt that it was so unlike anything that I've ever experienced there.
I felt that the police presence was more than I've ever seen. Not that that hinders my experience, but whether you're doin anything wrong or not, it makes the vibe a little uncomfy.
I will absolutely return to Wanee because I love that place and the experience so much, but that's just my 2 cents. Wondering if anyone felt the same?

Unfortunately, me and my wife also experienced some bad vibes during Wanee. She was on the receiving end of a couple similar comments, which does make for an uncomfortable experience. Also, during Panic on Friday some dude stumbled over us and fell into the people ahead of us and start convulsing, clearly had done too much of something, I suspect he took a bunch of GHB and was experiencing CLONUS as he was all the way out there and once the paramedics showed up he snapped to and literally ran away. Not much later and in the same spot a dreddy chick and a big dude got into a fistfight, the dude took a big swing and just about knocked her out cold, thankfully he took off because he looked like a mean son of a gun and if he had not left I would not have stayed where we were. Then a little later some spun out woman fell on top of both of us dumping two fresh beers of ours before running away without even apologizing, i get having a good time but she was out of control and should have bought us a round.

Honestly, this is the one and only Wanee we had any similar experiences, we were unhindered for the most part but still not the kind of stuff I like to see.

Mon Apr 20, 2015 1:52 pm Profile
♫♫ Wanee Master ♫♫

I had a wonderful time, but I know there were some difficulties of the sort mentioned, plus the theft threads I have been reading. It will be important for everyone to describe negatives in as objective a manner as possible, so that there will be a chance these issues are addressed.

As far as the LEO presence was concerned, things seemed pretty mellow to me. The only two or three people I saw entangled were really acting like fools.

THERE WAS SO MUCH GLORIOUS HAPPENING!

Let's help the proper authorities to "weed" out the bad stuff. On that note, all of us brothers need to take much better care of our sisters and come to their defense. That is a statement of reality, not a sexist remark. We can work together to slow the tide of garbage.

Just sayin'...

"Remember: music is a religion. You have to pray every day."
-- Jose' Luis "Cheo" Pardo, Los Amigos Invisibles

Mon Apr 20, 2015 2:05 pm Profile
Wanee Mushroom

tieyourshoes51 wrote:
I had a wonderful time, but I know there were some difficulties of the sort mentioned, plus the theft threads I have been reading. It will be important for everyone to describe negatives in as objective a manner as possible, so that there will be a chance these issues are addressed.

As far as the LEO presence was concerned, things seemed pretty mellow to me. The only two or three people I saw entangled were really acting like fools.

Let's help the proper authorities to "weed" out the bad stuff. On that note, all of us brothers need to take much better care of our sisters and come to their defense. That is a statement of reality, not a sexist remark. We can work together to slow the tide of garbage.

Just sayin'...

Having a police presence isn't necessarily a bad thing. I just saw them being a bit invasive to some. I guess they're just doing their jobs.

Mon Apr 20, 2015 2:15 pm Profile
Wanee Lover

Very similar experience here. I saw a guy collapse 2-3 times in the front during Pink Talking Fish. We had a guy get arrested for Domestic Violence in the camp next to us. We had another sketchball try to fight my buddy in our camp. He later apologized, and I think he was a little Gumpy.(Like Forest) There was a heavier drug presence than I have noticed before. At a camp I was hanging out at they let some guy use a charger to charge his phone, and he stole the charger when he left. None of this ruined anything for me personally, it just made me lock my stuff up. This was not the overall vibe though. I met some of the most wonderful people this year. I finally put some faces to some names. Wanee was as great as it ever was.

I thought the crowd was bigger than last year. There were people camping soooooo far out it was unbelievable. I think after 10 years people just learned to spread out. Looking at the crowd during panic from the back of the Meadow it seemed way more crowded than last year. I heard the ladies at the Golf Cart check-in say they were expecting 20,000 I think they got it.

I thought the visuals were perfect. Using the Trees behind Panic was so much better than that stupid ass splashing whale. It made it feel more home. the white lights moving through the natural back drop was such a fit for SOSMP. Perfectly simple and fitting. Some of the early and late shows were disappointing, but the bands in the primetime spots were absolutely amazing. Say 6:00 -Midnight.

Mon Apr 20, 2015 2:32 pm Profile
Wanee Lover

tieyourshoes51 wrote:

Just sayin'...

Well put.

Mon Apr 20, 2015 2:34 pm Profile
Wanee Veteran

nickyler wrote:
Very similar experience here. I saw a guy collapse 2-3 times in the front during Pink Talking Fish. We had a guy get arrested for Domestic Violence in the camp next to us. We had another sketchball try to fight my buddy in our camp. He later apologized, and I think he was a little Gumpy.(Like Forest) There was a heavier drug presence than I have noticed before. At a camp I was hanging out at they let some guy use a charger to charge his phone, and he stole the charger when he left. None of this ruined anything for me personally, it just made me lock my stuff up. This was not the overall vibe though. I met some of the most wonderful people this year. I finally put some faces to some names. Wanee was as great as it ever was.

I thought the crowd was bigger than last year. There were people camping soooooo far out it was unbelievable. I think after 10 years people just learned to spread out. Looking at the crowd during panic from the back of the Meadow it seemed way more crowded than last year. I heard the ladies at the Golf Cart check-in say they were expecting 20,000 I think they got it.

I thought the visuals were perfect. Using the Trees behind Panic was so much better than that stupid ass splashing whale. It made it feel more home. the white lights moving through the natural back drop was such a fit for SOSMP. Perfectly simple and fitting. Some of the early and late shows were disappointing, but the bands in the primetime spots were absolutely amazing. Say 6:00 -Midnight.

I definitely don't think a few bad apples should spoil the bunch but there were some unsavory people floating around. My wife did not feel comfortable walking around by herself after a few comments hurled her way by some douchebags, not surprised to hear she was not alone feeling that way.

I don't estimate crowds for a living but I think there were way more people there last year. The campers did spread out and there were people all the way to the back but they were not packed in at all. During Panic we were sitting about mid way through the crowd by the beer stand and you could easily walk towards the front without an issue, we walked up towards the front a couple of times and could easily get right up by the sound booth with ease. Last year it seems like it was packed all the way back, we had trouble making our way up front last year during the brothers set. Also, last year during Umph in particular it was standing room only at the mushroom and this year the crowd barely filled the first few rows. I kind of doubt the 20k estimate and a bunch of the park vets/staff said this year ticket sales were down.

The visuals during panic were good but after seeing the production behind Hulaween I think Wanee could up their game, I like big production and sound and I personally felt it was a little off the top compared to some of the shows/festivals I went to in the past year.

Mon Apr 20, 2015 3:13 pm Profile
Wanee Veteran

I think I agree with funkengroovin: the crowd was not quite as big as last year. It was manageable... Heck for Galactic, I was on the second tier in my comfy chair, to the right of the board, and there was a giant hole in front of me on the floor where people normally congregate and dance. Just not as many folks. The Spreadheads were in force, and these are the fans that will assure Wanee's viability going forward.

Sorry to hear about the folks that had wookie oriented troubles with minor theft, etc. The verbal abuse is a real head scratcher... I have a friend who was vending; she said that one night, she got propositioned THREE TIMES inside an hour for some sexual group activity :shock: ... she laughed it off. She can handle herself; she runs her store with her hubby who was close by, and has plenty of friends around should anything have really turned ugly. Weird to hear of other people having similar incidents.

My 'group', was just me and my boy... no ladies... so we would not be the usual target of that sort of thing. I only saw one dude who was not maintaining; he was passed out, head down, at a dining table by the main food vendors. The staff (probably a paramedic, with a deputy nearby watching) were trying to gently roust him / see if he was okay... it was the end of the night and he probably would be required to move along. I didn't stick around to see what happened to him, he could have just had too many beers / too much sun / too much fun. He was somewhat responsive, and the guys were being cool and gentle with him. <shrug>

~~~~~

I had a damn near 100% excellent time. Met Owllover, and amazingly, I even met TieYourShoes Scott (!!!)... at this rate, in about five more years I will have met all of the regulars here on this board :lol: ... otherwise, it was hugs from lots of old friends from back home, and lots from people I see only at the SOSMP. It's like my crazy family that I get to visit just a few times a year... may that never change, or change only for the better :D

Mon Apr 20, 2015 3:57 pm Profile
 [ 48 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next