Last visit was: Sat Nov 01, 2014 7:56 am It is currently Sat Nov 01, 2014 7:56 am

[ 12 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Umph...All things wrong 
Wanee Pro

Post Umph...All things wrong
So there has been some speculation Umphrey's will do an all things wrong set...I kind of hope they do, this is a write up about another time they did something similar and it sounds awesome.

Umphrey’s McGee played a special “All Night Wrong” Halloween show at the Fillmore in Silver Spring, MD last night. The evening included a full set of covers that were chosen by fans through an online voting system. The band was dressed as “The Mostly Dead Ex Presidents, A Vice President, and a First Lady” with Brendan Bayliss as Bill Clinton, Jake Cinninger as Ronald Reagan, Joel Cummins as Dick Cheney, Kris Myers as Richard Nixon, Andy Farag as Barack Obama and Ryan Stasik as Hillary Clinton.

The show began with a pretty standard first set before going into the real Halloween treat, the covers-only second set. The covers kicked off with some Dead love, as the band played “Help on the Way”> “Slipknot,” which was followed by the Allman Brothers’ “Jessica,” Talking Heads’ “Girlfriend Is Better” and Led Zeppelin’s “Fool in the Rain” (the members of Umphrey’s McGee wore FEMA hats during “Help on the Way” as a visual gag). Things got spooky for a second as Umphrey’s busted out the theme to John Carpenter’s Halloween before segueing back into “Fool in the Rain.” Tool’s “Forty Six & 2” was next, followed by Yes’ “Roundabout” and the debut of Die Straits’ “Money For Nothing.” The set ended with a mashup of Michael Jackson’s “Thriller” and Pink Floyd’s “Another Brick in the Wall.” The band encored with The Band’s “Ophelia” before closing the show with an Umphrey’s classic, “Miss Tinkle’s Overture.”

The “All Night Wrong” show was originally supposed to be broadcast on AXS TV but that was cancelled due to hurricane-related travel issues. Umphrey’s McGee still managed to get the show to masses with a “pay what you want” live stream, with all of the proceeds going to Red Cross hurricane relief efforts. This was the band’s second Halloween celebration this year—over the weekend, the band played their traditional mashup shows on Saturday night.

Umphrey’s McGee “All Night Wrong,” October 31, 2012, The Fillmore, Silver Spring, MD

Set 1: Gurgle > Puppet String, Plunger, Deeper > Preamble > Mantis, Domino Theory, Glory -> The Floor(*)

Set 2: Help On the Way > Slipknot! > Jessica, Girlfriend is Better -> Fool In The Rain > Halloween theme > Fool In The Rain, Forty Six & 2, Roundabout, Money For Nothing(^), Another Brick in the Wall/Thriller

E:

Ophelia > Miss Tinkle’s Overture

(*) w/ Halloween Theme tease
(^) w/ debut, Dire Straits cover

Thu Apr 03, 2014 11:04 am Profile
Wanee Peach

Post Re: Umph...All things wrong
Where do we vote now?

Thu Apr 03, 2014 12:13 pm Profile
Wanee Veteran

It said "All night Wrong" on the fake schedule that came out. Even thought the times were off, I think you will get your wish. They wouldnt have called it All Night Wrong on the App if not.

Thu Apr 03, 2014 12:18 pm Profile
Wanee Lover

Well that just sounds dandy as hell. I don't know much about UM and an excited to see them but late night cover party wont hurt my feelings.

Thu Apr 03, 2014 12:27 pm Profile
Wanee Gnome

Umphrey's are a rockin band! And they have a great light show which will light up the Mushroom park! The singing isnt the best, but they can jam and the energy they provide is amazing. A great time is guaranteed! I'd love to see moe. hang around and do some collaboration efforts with the Umph! \mm/

Thu Apr 03, 2014 12:41 pm Profile
Wanee Gnome

Personally, i love Bayliss's vocals. As for the rest...well they certainly aren't the worst.

Thu Apr 03, 2014 12:48 pm Profile
Wanee Pro

So pumped for an all night wrong set. I am really hoping for a Let it be/No woman no cry, I have seen Umph a bunch of times but never caught one of these special sets.

They take off with it.. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xf-tEyKGOeg

Thu Apr 03, 2014 1:04 pm Profile
Wanee Pro

LoveWarren wrote:
Umphrey's are a rockin band! And they have a great light show which will light up the Mushroom park! The singing isnt the best, but they can jam and the energy they provide is amazing. A great time is guaranteed! I'd love to see moe. hang around and do some collaboration efforts with the Umph! \mm/

They most certainly will...They are partners in crime.

Thu Apr 03, 2014 1:16 pm Profile
Wanee Gnome

funkengroovin wrote:

Awesome... I hope this happens on Saturday night... I'm thinking about catching Jaimoe's Jasssz Band set during the friday afternoon times instead of Umph's daytime set.

Thu Apr 03, 2014 1:19 pm Profile
Wanee Pro

LoveWarren wrote:
funkengroovin wrote:

Awesome... I hope this happens on Saturday night... I'm thinking about catching Jaimoe's Jasssz Band set during the friday afternoon times instead of Umph's daytime set.

I am making the assumption they will based on the fact they do Summer Camp festival together and have for quite some time. They are very close, I think you can pretty much count on them sitting in with each other.

Thu Apr 03, 2014 1:35 pm Profile
 [ 12 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next