Last visit was: Tue Sep 23, 2014 6:27 pm It is currently Tue Sep 23, 2014 6:27 pm

[ 11 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Renting a Truck to Tow our Camper? 
Wanee Veteran

Post Renting a Truck to Tow our Camper?
So, I really don't want to get into WHY we're in this situation, or WHO came up with this bright idea, but Jason and I are currently planning a trip to Grayton Beach and then heading straight to Wanee....with our RV....without a vehicle that can tow it. :|

Soooooo...what do we do? I've been looking at Hertz/Enterprise/National for a rental (although the idea of paying ANOTHER $1000 makes me want to cry). Is there anything I'm overlooking? Is there somewhere else we can rent a truck or SUV to tow the camper? Preferably without a milage limit?

Ugh. This is such a pain. :roll:

In the clearing stands a boxer and a fighter by his trade and he carries the reminders of every glove that laid him down and cut him till he cried out in his anger and his shame, "I am leaving, I am leaving"...

...But the fighter still remains.

Fri Mar 14, 2014 10:01 pm Profile
Wanee Lover

Post Re: Renting a Truck to Tow our Camper?
https://www.rentawreck.com/cheap-car-re ... ta-GA.html

May save a few dollars..

Possible 'stopper' -
Quote:
*** All Rates Listed are for LOCAL use / 100 miles per day ***

And they dont list rates... but...

1) They may not know if you are keeping the truck local or not... but GPS trackers are pretty common.

2) if you are parked for several days, maybe your AVERAGE daily use stays below 100 mi/day by the end.

or you could just call, and be honest about what you need and see where that goes..

"" I'm not gonna vote for more rules... we go to festivals to get away from most of the idiotic social customs and rules for a time, and be a bit more free than the regular world lets us... keep the rules simple and few, and let kindness rule rather than a rule book... ""

THIS. ↑↑↑↑

Author - Beach Bob - Monday 20 MAY 2013 - 8:22 am
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=10529&start=10&hilit=chairs

Sat Mar 15, 2014 4:46 am Profile WWW
Wanee Lover

Hm.. waking up slowly, I forgot to ask..

How big a camper? (IMO, if it dont drive under its own power, it isnt an RV ;) but wikipedia disagrees. )

10' pop up? 24' tandem trailer? This obviosly has a bearing on what vehicle will work for you.

Idea - U haul? http://www.uhaul.com/Reservations/Equip ... x?model=BE (unfortunately the 'small print' keeps mentioning local..local.. dammit)

https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=atla ... mra=ls&z=8

using Atlanta GA as the start and end, looks like you are covering ~800 miles. (considering the distance, $1000 for your own rental really isnt bad..if mileage is included!) If you are wanting to explore the cheaper option of finding people to tow you place to place, firm up your route and dates. Be sure to leave extra 'flex' time in the schedule should plans change mid route.

Then the fun... finding a tow from Atlanta to Grayton Beach would be the biggest challenge, IMO. Craigslist? https://atlanta.craigslist.org/rid/

Grayton Beach to WANEE!! and WANEE!! to Atlanta might be easier. Start hammering away on Facebook, and see who is going your way. Of course, keep posting here on the forum, but here you have MUCH less quantity (but better Quality.. :lol: ) of people. Wanee people may come through, and you are only needing transport on major highways - i10 and i75.

And should you try this method of 'hitchhiking' , maybe having a better explanation of HOW you got in this fix will sway people.
Not saying that you should post medical bills, etc ... but ""So, I really don't want to get into WHY we're in this situation, or WHO came up with this bright idea,"" doesnt offer a lot to sway someone to help. 'Damsel in Distress' has rallied men throughout the ages to help. The story of a family looking to get respite from stressful times not of their making is a powerful help also. Its a balance... spend money or keep anonymity.

Best of luck, and i have my OCD's working on it now. :roll: if they come up with something I will post back.

"" I'm not gonna vote for more rules... we go to festivals to get away from most of the idiotic social customs and rules for a time, and be a bit more free than the regular world lets us... keep the rules simple and few, and let kindness rule rather than a rule book... ""

THIS. ↑↑↑↑

Sat Mar 15, 2014 5:35 am Profile WWW
Wanee Lover

1. Maybe someone headed to Wanee can tow the RV for you. Just pay for the added fuel costs and meet them there after your Grayton Beach stop.
2. Sleeping in a tent isn’t so bad.
3. Time for Jason to trade in his vehicle.

Funny #3 is what prompted me to trade my last car in. I was moving from a city 2 hours away and had the luxury of not having to vacate in a fixed time frame. I was making trips back and forth and could get very little in my car each trip. I decided I would trade in my car and get a vehicle with a tow package so I could rent a U-haul trailer when needed. At the car lot I looked at several vehicles and ultimately decided on one. 3 days later when I decided to rent a trailer I felt like a complete idiot when I discovered the new car did not have the tow package. My last minute switch to the “upgraded one” was an epic FAIL.

Following the shadows of the skies or are they only figments of my eyes?
And I'm feeling close to where the race is run
Waiting in our boats to set sail, sea of joy

Sat Mar 15, 2014 11:12 am Profile
Wanee Master

Do you have a way to tow at least part way?
Do you currently have no way of towing it...no truck...?
Could you tow it to a friends house and then get it moved?
Surely, there is someone from the Atlanta area that could help...
Or get it to Valdosta a week or so in advance...

I'm stuck :shock:
If you could get it to Marianna...I would be happy to tow for you....unless it is a fifth wheel and I am not set up for that.

Sat Mar 15, 2014 11:37 am Profile
Wanee Veteran

I think we have it figured out.

So, in case anyone was interested...

We sold my (towing) SUV to buy my smaller (non-towing) car with the plan that we would buy an addition vehicle to tow in the near future. And until we bought said vehicle, we always had a friend's truck to use. HOWEVER, in the middle of all this, all hell broke loose with Jason's job and he resigned....so no buying a truck. In the process, the friend with the truck sort of screwed Jason over....so, no truck to borrow. So, that's where we are....with a Multi-stop trip planned.

But, like I said, we've got it figured out.

I thought there had to be something I was missing. There are places out west that specialize in renting trucks to tow campers, etc. I blows my mind that there's nothing like that around here (especially because it's so flat).

So, anyway, thanks for the suggestions. Jason's job situation has put us into a bit of a tailspin .

In the clearing stands a boxer and a fighter by his trade and he carries the reminders of every glove that laid him down and cut him till he cried out in his anger and his shame, "I am leaving, I am leaving"...

Mon Mar 17, 2014 1:06 pm Profile
Wanee Wizard

frenchiejess wrote:

We sold my (towing) SUV to buy my smaller (non-towing) car with the plan that we would buy an addition vehicle to tow in the near future. And until we bought said vehicle, we always had a friend's truck to use. HOWEVER, in the middle of all this, all hell broke loose with Jason's job and he resigned....so no buying a truck. In the process, the friend with the truck sort of screwed Jason over....so, no truck to borrow. So, that's where we are....with a Multi-stop trip planned.

I thought there had to be something I was missing. There are places out west that specialize in renting trucks to tow campers, etc. I blows my mind that there's nothing like that around here (especially because it's so flat).

So, anyway, thanks for the suggestions. Jason's job situation has put us into a bit of a tailspin .

Glad things are working out Jess and hopefully the job situation is resolved quickly. See you two soon!

Mon Mar 17, 2014 1:32 pm Profile
Wanee Master

now that Jason is taking the Nautical way of life just steam up the River... 8-)

Mon Mar 17, 2014 2:37 pm Profile
Wanee Lover

frenchiejess wrote:

Well, you have mentioned you *think* you have it figured out.

""....so, no truck to borrow. So, that's where we are....with a Multi-stop trip planned.

But, like I said, we've got it figured out.""

Glad that the lack of tow vehicle is not because of family illness or loss. And we are here to help, but obfuscation and confusing language make it a task. Understood, 2014 been a HELLUVAYEAR for you...so far... remember you have help waiting. We just are a little foggy on what exactly we can do for you.

WANEE!!
WANEE!!
WANEE!!
WANEE!!
WANEE!!
WANEE!!
WANEE!!
WANEE!!
WANEE!!
WANEE!!
WANEE!!
WANEE!!
WANEE!!
WANEE!!
WANEE!!
WANEE!!
WANEE!!
WANEE!!
WANEE!!
WANEE!!
WANEE!!
WANEE!!
WANEE!!
WANEE!!
WANEE!!
WANEE!!
WANEE!!
WANEE!!
WANEE!!
WANEE!!
WANEE!!
WANEE!!
WANEE!!
WANEE!!
WANEE!!
WANEE!!
WANEE!!
WANEE!!
WANEE!!
WANEE!!
WANEE!!
WANEE!!
WANEE!!
WANEE!!
WANEE!!
WANEE!!
WANEE!!
WANEE!!
WANEE!!
WANEE!!
WANEE!!
WANEE!!
WANEE!!
WANEE!!
WANEE!!
WANEE!!
WANEE!!
WANEE!!
WANEE!!
WANEE!!
WANEE!!
WANEE!!
WANEE!!
WANEE!!
WANEE!!
WANEE!!
WANEE!!
WANEE!!
WANEE!!
WANEE!!
WANEE!!
WANEE!!
WANEE!!
WANEE!!
WANEE!!
WANEE!!
WANEE!!
WANEE!!
WANEE!!
WANEE!!
WANEE!!
WANEE!!
WANEE!!
WANEE!!
WANEE!!
WANEE!!
WANEE!!
WANEE!!
WANEE!!
WANEE!!
WANEE!!
WANEE!!
WANEE!!
WANEE!!
WANEE!!
WANEE!!
WANEE!!
WANEE!!
WANEE!!
WANEE!!
WANEE!!
WANEE!!
WANEE!!
WANEE!!
WANEE!!
WANEE!!
WANEE!!
WANEE!!
WANEE!!
WANEE!!
WANEE!!
WANEE!!
WANEE!!
WANEE!!
WANEE!!
WANEE!!
WANEE!!
WANEE!!
WANEE!!
WANEE!!
WANEE!!
WANEE!!
WANEE!!
WANEE!!
WANEE!!
WANEE!!
WANEE!!
WANEE!!
WANEE!!
WANEE!!
WANEE!!
WANEE!!
WANEE!!
WANEE!!
WANEE!!
WANEE!!
WANEE!!
WANEE!!
WANEE!!
WANEE!!
WANEE!!
WANEE!!
WANEE!!
WANEE!!
WANEE!!
WANEE!!
WANEE!!
WANEE!!
WANEE!!
WANEE!!
WANEE!!
WANEE!!
WANEE!!
WANEE!!
WANEE!!
WANEE!!
WANEE!!
WANEE!!
WANEE!!
WANEE!!
WANEE!!
WANEE!!
WANEE!!
WANEE!!
WANEE!!
WANEE!!
WANEE!!
WANEE!!
WANEE!!
WANEE!!
WANEE!!
WANEE!!
WANEE!!
WANEE!!
WANEE!!
WANEE!!
WANEE!!
WANEE!!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

THIS. ↑↑↑↑

Mon Mar 17, 2014 5:34 pm Profile WWW
Wanee Veteran

Sorry. I didn't realize I was being so unclear....or any less clear than anyone else.

I've had a lot going on this year (as you mentioned)...obviously I'm not thinking clearly.

Feel free to disregard this entire thread.

The issue has been resolved.

Tue Mar 18, 2014 12:41 pm Profile
 [ 11 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next