Last visit was: Mon Sep 22, 2014 10:11 am It is currently Mon Sep 22, 2014 10:11 am

[ 32 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Campsite recipes 
Wanee Gnome

Post Campsite recipes
I am trying to plan my grocery list and need some inspiration. What are your favorite campsite recipes?

Fri Mar 28, 2014 10:50 am Profile
Wanee Lover

Post Re: Campsite recipes
Welcome Hhdfc. My favorites are simple. Open a can of beans and roast a weenie over the fire. But there are those that prepare big meals and feed an army. They will be along shortly to share their recipes.
Wanee On...

Following the shadows of the skies or are they only figments of my eyes?
And I'm feeling close to where the race is run
Waiting in our boats to set sail, sea of joy

Fri Mar 28, 2014 12:14 pm Profile
Wanee Mushroom

I'm a Wanee virgin, so I'd appreciate advice as well. I'm bringing a little propane grill. Planning to cook ribs on the smoker the night before I leave, then heat them up one night at Wanee. Maybe some Bubba burgers or steaks or wings or the like. I'm looking for stuff that's yummy but quick to prepare, since every minute I spend in front of the grill is a minute I don't spend in front of the stage.

Fri Mar 28, 2014 12:22 pm Profile
Wanee Veteran

I hear that Tommy Ray thats why I try and do everything ahead of time. My new idea is to make a big pan of potatoes, peppers, onions, bacon and whatever else, then scoop some in a frying pan and add scrambled eggs. A whole complete breakfast in the time it takes eggs to cook. Great for burritos too.

Fri Mar 28, 2014 12:36 pm Profile
Wanee Veteran

Another good one is Shish Kabobs. Cut everything up and put it in a bag. Meat Onions peppers etc. Add a marinade and then freeze it immedietely. As it thaws in the cooler it will marinate the meat. Then throw it all on some skewers and you can even cook on the bonfire with a metal grill.

Fri Mar 28, 2014 12:41 pm Profile
Wanee Veteran

Bubba burgers are always a good choice. I take em out of the box, then stick them (w/ factory cello wrap intact) in a gallon Ziplock, and toss em in the bottom of the cooler. They'll keep several days that way, and it's very unlikely to have a leak when it's double wrapped. Buy the Martin's potato rolls for the burgers, they keep well.

I tend to bring premade stuff; I brought a giant mess of chili mac this past Springfest that was well received. It was doctored up from a Paula Deen recipe I printed off the web. It called for ground beef, a pound of elbows, couple onions chopped up and sauteed, a big can of crushed tomatoes, and chili powder & S&P. Pretty basic. I doctored it by adding a few chopped up stalks of celery, a red & a yellow bell pepper (chopped), a bunch of garlic (minced), and cooking that with the onions. Then when it all gets mixed up, add a can of black beans (drained & rinsed) and a box of frozen & thawed chopped spinach. Up the chili powder amount, and add a good amount of cumin. Don't be shy with the S&P.

The original recipe calls for it to be baked with shredded cheese on top, but that isn't practical for camp. Just freeze the mess as made above, and put in the cooler. Bring the shred cheese along, and use a little extra water to reheat the stuff in a big pan once you are at camp. Once hot, spoon into bowls and stir in the cheese for a gooey chili mac mess. Awesome with some tortilla chips.

One of the best easy things I make is paninis. Get some good, vine ripened tomatoes. Slice those. Make sammiches using Publix sliced Italian loaf, provolone cheese, and dabbing some store bought pesto in a jar on the insides of the bread. Cook on panini grill. Heavenly. Still good if you don't have the panini grill and just make em in a regular skillet.

Couple years ago we had a dad / son duo who had boy scout tricks galore... they did premade foil packets with ground beef, and all sorts of taters and veggies added. They tossed those onto the camp fire coals for 15min or so. Whatever they used, smelled awesome once they had extracted them back out and opened them :)

Fri Mar 28, 2014 12:46 pm Profile
Wanee Fan

I usually bbq some chicken in advance, then just reheat it over the campfire.

Also, there are few things in life better than a hot dog cooked over a campfire, using a freshly cut stick to hold it over the flames.

Fri Mar 28, 2014 12:51 pm Profile
Wanee Veteran

Re: the hot dog on a stick:

This Springfest, one of our campers brought his six year old boy. And quite the bright little fella he was. Dad and son were at the fire one night, roasting dogs on freshly cut sticks. The boy looked up at his dad and said:

"Dad, we're cooking old school, aren't we?"

:lol:

We pretty much all lost it :mrgreen:

Fri Mar 28, 2014 12:56 pm Profile
Wanee Veteran

beach bob wrote:
One of the best easy things I make is paninis. Make sammiches using Publix sliced Italian loaf,

I love that you said "sammiches" Is that a Florida thing? I say it all the time , and I have no idea where I picked it up.

Fri Mar 28, 2014 1:01 pm Profile
Wanee Lover

BBQ Bologna Sandwich
Ingredients
1 (3-pound) bologna
1 cup canola oil
1 loaf Texas toast, sliced 1-inch thick
Prepared cole slaw, for topping
Your favorite BBQ sauce, for drizzling
Directions
Prepare a smoker.

Using a large, 2-pronged fork, poke several holes into bologna. Place bologna in the smoker and smoke for 3 hours over indirect heat, or until ends of bologna start to swell.

Pour oil into a heavy bottomed medium-size frying pan. Heat oil to 350 degrees F.

Cut bologna into 1/2-inch to 1-inch thick slices. When oil is hot, fry bologna slices, 1 at a time, for 1 minute each. Remove each slice to a paper towel-lined plate to drain. Place each slice of bologna between 2 pieces of Texas toast, first topping with a small scoop of cole slaw and then drizzling with BBQ sauce.

NOTE: I won’t be making this…I do not have the necessary tools. But if anyone does try this please invite me over for lunch.
:D :D :D

Following the shadows of the skies or are they only figments of my eyes?
And I'm feeling close to where the race is run
Waiting in our boats to set sail, sea of joy

Fri Mar 28, 2014 1:02 pm Profile
 [ 32 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next