Last visit was: Fri Sep 19, 2014 5:53 pm It is currently Fri Sep 19, 2014 5:53 pm

[ 10 posts ] 
 Looking for feedback on Lockn Festival 
Wanee Gnome

Post Looking for feedback on Lockn Festival
First, I want to thank everyone here who helped this be one of my all time best festival experiences. I am a Festy vet but this was my first Wanee and one I will remember for the rest of my life. I met so many great people and what an amazing 4 days of music. The park is absolutely breathtaking and I will be back next year.

I am looking at Lockn' n the Fall and I love the lineup but wanted to see if anyone here has been and what they thought of the festival. I heard the camping is really far away from the stages and the traffic is nuts getting in and out. It's also quite costly and the camping pricing and rules are very extreme. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!

See you next year!

BaltimoreMule

Thu Apr 17, 2014 4:11 pm Profile
Wanee Lover

Post Re: Looking for feedback on Lockn Festival
1) Getting in was a pain in the a$$. But I expected that considering it was the first year. They also allegedly had a plan in place that the local LEOs nixed. They were also woefully understaffed and undertrained in the parking lot. When things started to heat up the volunteers didn't want to be lynched so the bailed. I fully expect it to be much better this year. Much better.

2) Once inside everyone agrees the music (which is the main reason to go) was unmatched. The lineup was the best of any fest and the sound quality was the best of any festival I, or anyone I spoke to, have ever attended. The sets got better and better every day.

3) The camping was a seriuos hike away. But we got together with friends and rented an RV. There were 6 of us that came from Raleigh. All RV expenses combined came out to about 300 apiece. That is significant coin but we slept in AC and were a lot closer than most camping spots.

4) You really have to plan what you want to see. The long walk combined with each act being better means once you go in you are probably there for the duration. Not all that bad a problem to have if all you can complain about is that the music was too good to leave.

5) The written rules are stingent. No kitchen knives, limit of some wierd number of beers based off of a formula involing the moon or something... The first people thru the gates got their stuff rifled thru pretty good. By the time we rolled thru, after a 4 hr wait so at about 1:00) our search consisted of the guy asking me if I had any drugs or glass he needed to know about. No sir I do not. Ok, have a nice day.

6) It is pretty pricey. No argument there.

7) Awesome crowd. Similar to Wanee in that it is a lot of older heads and not just amatuer hour.

8) The vendors inside were over charging for beer so it was a direct challange to sneak in as many as possible at every opportunity. But it was a decent selection. The food vendors were all tasty and not outrageously priced. Also, the local community was really well represented in the vending area.

9) The weather worked out well. It got hot, especially on Sunday, out in the sun but the nights were relatively cool.

10) The views to the west from the ridge of the Blue Ridge were beautiful.

11) Our whole crew has already bought tickets for this year. Matter of fact we said that if they would have had a ticket booth on the way out and said the same bands were playing the same sets next year we would have bought them then.

Hope this helps. Any questions just ask.

I know others had a much less positive experience than I did. When ou hear their side ask one question. "How was the music?"

Thu Apr 17, 2014 4:43 pm Profile
Wanee Wizard

Well said mccjeff. We were in a similar stuation being in RV. I'm sure a distant tenter will chime in.

Thu Apr 17, 2014 5:26 pm Profile
Wanee Fan

Best fest I've been to, hands down, when taken overall. I got there some time before 4am and sat in line for a few hours. I got right in, got a premo spot, and was able to set up camp, do a little pre-gaming, and catch all the music. The walk was pretty killer. Right before reaching the gates there is a pretty big hill that i absolutely dreaded walking back up each night. But the crowd walking back was pumped, talkative, fun, and really made it all pass by pretty quickly. The people in general were awesome. Very little of the younger wilder crowd. Very much populated with veterans and older types that were down to party, but kept it all under control. There was no back to the stages, so there was a spectacular view of the mountains all around, including behind the performers. One set leading into another worked out perfectly. You never missed a note and you could literally chill in one spot from beginning to end and still get fantastic sound and a good view of at least the giant monitors they had up front. The weather was beyond perfect. Upper 70s lower 80s during the day all weekend, 50s at night. the surprise late sets were a huge treat. word of mouth got people out there, unfortunately they started rather quickly after the main sets ended and were quite far away. the vendors were pretty outstanding. there was the average festival beer/food but also a sizable local tent that had great food (omg those little pot pies) and awesome local brews. and omg the collaborations and special appearances! it's hard to even describe. i feel for the people that got stuck in traffic the first day (something they've sworn over and over again to correct this year) but i really dont have a bad thing to say about it. you should definitely come join us over at the Official Unofficial Lockn Forum (http://lockn.proboards.com). You'll be able to get tons of info and join us in our excitement leading up to this year's celebration. just get your ticket already. i promise you won't regret it. if you're there just for the party, you may be a little disappointed. but if you're there for the music, there's no better place to be.

Thu Apr 17, 2014 5:52 pm Profile
Wanee Master

Getting in was a hassle and the search was extensive, but once inside it was awesome! A little planning was required because it was a far walk from where we camped, but I hear RV parking is going to be moved a little closer this year. It really is worth it to go if you are able, the bands, the views and the people were all incredible. The booze vendor prices were high, Freedom Flask! but food was reasonably priced and we did end up eating there since we were at the stages all day.do it! You won't be sorry.

Thu Apr 17, 2014 6:28 pm Profile
Wanee Gnome

Thank you all for the amazing feedback. This greatly appreciated and has made my decision much easier. I am def a veteran fest head and the music always comes first. The lineup last year and this year are unmatched. I was just concerned about the camping and the overall vibe. Sounds like they learned a lot from the first one and plan and I am sure everything will improve. I think I am going to research the RV solution.

Fri Apr 18, 2014 10:35 am Profile
Wanee Lover

pretty much like everyone has said.

musically amazing with some logistical issues.

Fri Apr 18, 2014 2:36 pm Profile
Wanee Gnome

So one thing I read on the site is the limit on how much beer you can bring. I have never seen this in all my years of attending festivals. It states one case of beer to each 21 year old. Is this accurate?? As I stated the music comes first but you got to enjoy some cold ones at the campsite and I really rather not pay $7 and $8 for a beer.

Fri Apr 18, 2014 3:14 pm Profile
Wanee Fan

this has been answered a few times over on the lockn forum (again, welcome, friend) but i'll go ahead and copy/paste my answer here in case anyone interested in lockn hasn't made their way over there yet:
i didn't see anyone having any issues with this silly rule. just in case, id put extra at the bottom of a pile of stuff. just make sure you don't bring glass. they were cracking down on that pretty hard last year.

Fri Apr 18, 2014 5:24 pm Profile
Wanee Gnome

sneake wrote:
this has been answered a few times over on the lockn forum (again, welcome, friend) but i'll go ahead and copy/paste my answer here in case anyone interested in lockn hasn't made their way over there yet:
i didn't see anyone having any issues with this silly rule. just in case, id put extra at the bottom of a pile of stuff. just make sure you don't bring glass. they were cracking down on that pretty hard last year.

Thanks sneake

Fri Apr 18, 2014 9:29 pm Profile
 [ 10 posts ]