Last visit was: Fri Nov 21, 2014 12:36 pm It is currently Fri Nov 21, 2014 12:36 pm

[ 76 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 8  Next
 Arrests at Wanee 2014 (Ridiculous!!!!) 
Wanee Gnome

Post Re: Arrests at Wanee 2014 (Ridiculous!!!!)
nickyler wrote:
There was a heavy police presence, but I didnt see anyone getting hassled either. I am not sure about that notice to appear thing either. I have never heard of anyone getting caught holding and get told to come back later. They go to jail... Like NOW.

Florida cops have the right to issue a notice to appear citation if it's just a simple under 20 grams possession charge. I have seen the tickets issued myself first hand. If you're "not sure" about a simple law maybe try doing a google search before posting nonsense!

http://www.avvo.com/legal-answers/i-hav ... 98235.html

Several people were arrested for simple possession inside the venue. Car's towed, camping gear most likely stolen, and thousands of dollars out of their pockets. (Lives ruined, if they don't have any money basically.) This vote coming up in November makes this even more ridiculous.

Tue Apr 15, 2014 5:22 am Profile
Wanee Lover

sneake wrote:
one of the guys i met and ended up camping with got busted. two undercovers, a dude and a chick. both wearing tie dye, chick had two long blonde braids. they came in looking for something,

It takes me a while when meeting someone in SOSMP before i get to the level of favors. As bad as it is, that is usually how i hear about people getting in trouble.

Tue Apr 15, 2014 7:40 am Profile
Wanee Gnome

Never seen any or had any interaction with police at Wanee until this year. Not a big deal but my son was stopped and asked for his ID because he was carrying a beer in the horse camping area by the RV. He didn't have ID with him and they gave him a hard time. My wife walked up to see what was going on and felt that she was not treated very respectfully. I have always taught my two boys to respect law enforcement and they do. I do however expect that respect should go both ways. If nothing is wrong a "sorry for the inconvenience have a nice day" might go a long way. The other thing that was a bit surprising is these two cops jumped out of an unmarked car with semi swat gear. They were wearing Kevlar. Seems a bit overkill that two cops in Kevlar ask a 23 year old if he has ID. Wasn't like there was a big crowd around. In the end they didn't even want to take the time to come back to the RV to verify his age.

Tue Apr 15, 2014 8:38 am Profile
Wanee Mushroom

Camper next to me got busted for smoking a j. It was a plain clothes officer that approached him and said "can I get a hit off that?" when the dude handed it to him, the officer said "you're under arrest" and two cop cars pulled up. They arrested him and took him away. If you openly smoke at Wanee camp grounds or concerts you are asking for it.

Perhaps the reason you posters didnt think there was a large police presence is because they were plain clothes/undercover.

Tue Apr 15, 2014 10:10 am Profile
Wanee Gnome

damn, sure does suck to hear about all this going on. I mean I know laws are laws, but damn sounds like there were a LOT more plain clothed cops than I saw. I actually didnt see any plain clothed cops. We did have the cop golf cart drive by camp ground B a few times throughout the day each day with 2 uniformed cops riding, but never saw them stop for anything.

Saw a couple hand fulls of uniformed cops around the vending area in the concert area, we were grabbing some "after the latenight set" food and they were just standing around, 2 were just talking to the vendors.

none of the 4 of us smoke cigs or nugs, so I guess we don't attract too much attention to us.

sorry to hear about everyones troubles, we had a f!*king blast with no hassle!

Tue Apr 15, 2014 10:38 am Profile
Wanee Gnome

My wife and I had no problems but of course this is Florida and we understood that. However the arrests for marijuana is obviously ridiculous and even more so in a campsite. I did see the undercover car throw the blue lights just to get past a golf cart on RR. I never saw an officer near our site but we do get very secluded. The police here are nothing like other fests but they need not ruin Wanee. Support Amendment 2 and take it as a step in the right direction.

Tue Apr 15, 2014 11:18 am Profile
Wanee Gnome

Socal213 wrote:
nickyler wrote:
There was a heavy police presence, but I didnt see anyone getting hassled either. I am not sure about that notice to appear thing either. I have never heard of anyone getting caught holding and get told to come back later. They go to jail... Like NOW.

Florida cops have the right to issue a notice to appear citation if it's just a simple under 20 grams possession charge. I have seen the tickets issued myself first hand. If you're "not sure" about a simple law maybe try doing a google search before posting nonsense!

http://www.avvo.com/legal-answers/i-hav ... 98235.html

Several people were arrested for simple possession inside the venue. Car's towed, camping gear most likely stolen, and thousands of dollars out of their pockets. (Lives ruined, if they don't have any money basically.) This vote coming up in November makes this even more ridiculous.

Yes it does, but the south is IMO going to be one of the last places to legalize even if for just medicinal, so Florida getting it to a vote is a HUGE step in the right direction.

I mean come on, our nation's capital just legalized it for medicinal usage, that should say enough. I can't believe in Florida it's a FELONY to have over 20g...that WILL ruin people's lives over a freaking plant.

I spent a yr in prison for possession with intent to distribute but luckily Georgia had the first offenders act. I served more time but got out without a felony, and was able to change my life around, and I now have my own business, and was able to get a legitimate job when I got out to get me to where I am now.

Made a stupid mistake when I was in college and got past it, had I been in Florida, I would be a felon, and have that follow me for the rest of my life.

I'm just sayin....

Tue Apr 15, 2014 11:36 am Profile WWW
Wanee Pro

So granted it sucks real bad when people get arrested, especially when they are minding their own business. I personally am of the opinion that if you arent doing anything to harm others you should have the right to do it freely. However, that being said, lets put this in perspective. So 60 arrests over a 3 day weekend. Thats 20 a day. Assuming there would 15,000 people there each day (complete guess but probably fairly close), thats .13%, or 1 in 1,300 people getting a citation. Again, in my ideal world it would be 0 in 1,300, but lifes not ideal. For comparison's sake, when I was under 21 at a DMB concent I was cited for drinking. I was talking to the magistrate at my "hearing" (the magistrate's office was in a strip mall, literally right beside a Subway restaurant. No joke but thats a different story), and he told us 1,200 citations were given out over the two day weekend, so thats 600 per day. Assuming there were 15,000 people their each day (and I thnk it was actually fewer than that), thats 4.0% or 1 in 25 people.

So I guess my point is, 60 arrests suck, hell one arrest would suck. But when you consider everything its actually quite low.

Wed Apr 16, 2014 8:50 pm Profile
Wanee Peach

Being local, and being in a job that requires contact with the local court system, I can confirm that the total number of arrests from Wanee this year was 35. I agree that we should all be able to do whatever we want, whenever we want, as long as we are not harming others, BUT 35 arrests amongst 20-25000 people is not very substantial. I can assure you that the number of arrests per every 1000 people in attendance has decreased over the years. I saw single day shows at SOSMP in the 90's with much smaller crowds that resulted in 25-30 arrests. Yes, I agree, if you are the one arrested, then one is too many. But, having also been a deadhead towards the end of their days in the early 90's, I've seen far more police presence than we have at SOSMP.

Wed Apr 16, 2014 9:29 pm Profile
Wanee Fan

were there really 25k people there? REALLY didn't feel that way

Wed Apr 16, 2014 10:00 pm Profile
 [ 76 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 8  Next