Last visit was: Sun Dec 21, 2014 1:16 pm It is currently Sun Dec 21, 2014 1:16 pm

[ 62 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
 Other fests at the park 
Wanee Lover

Post Other fests at the park
What is the camping situation at the other fests. Just as free for all, first come basis as Wanee? What about stages. I would imagine Mushroom is utilized but I doubt the big Peach is used. So what is the deal?

Thu Apr 17, 2014 3:37 pm Profile
Wanee Lover

Post Re: Other fests at the park
What is the camping situation at the other fests. Just as free for all, first come basis as Wanee? YesWhat about stages.Several, including one at in the vending area called the porch stage. I would imagine Mushroom is utilized but I doubt the big Peach is used. So what is the deal?Big Peach is used. One year he had a huge Circus tent in the field to keep us warm!

Thu Apr 17, 2014 3:40 pm Profile
Wanee Lover

Cool! Thanks for the deets.

Thu Apr 17, 2014 3:44 pm Profile
Wanee Mushroom

For Springfest, probably a little less competitive for primitive camping spots because from a crowd standpoint I would guess around half of Wanee. The Mushroom stage was used as the main headliner stage. The Peach stage was not used but a stage was set-up sideways and to the left of the Peach stage. Also, used was the Porch stage and music hall.

Thu Apr 17, 2014 4:11 pm Profile
Wanee Lover

It probably seems like a hike between stages even tho it is all about the same. Fewer people on the main concert ground feels like you walk for a while before you get to the side stage.

Thu Apr 17, 2014 4:18 pm Profile
Wanee Veteran

Indy_Hawkeye wrote:
For Springfest, probably a little less competitive for primitive camping spots because from a crowd standpoint I would guess around half of Wanee. The Mushroom stage was used as the main headliner stage. The Peach stage was not used but a stage was set-up sideways and to the left of the Peach stage. Also, used was the Porch stage and music hall.

^ all good info there.

I have always thought of SpringFest and Magnolia Fest as sister fests, since they were both conceived and run by Beth & Randy Judy for years. Aside the always booked acts such as Donna the Buffalo, Jim Lauderdale, and Jeff Mosier, their similarities are somewhat less now.

MagFest uses the big slab stage out on the meadow, and has stuck the big big names there the last couple years, such as Willie, Lucinda Williams, Bonnie Raitt, etc. Mag leans more electric / high energy, while SpringFest leans more acoustic and singer/songwriter.

One thing I like about Springfest, is they now put the portable meadow stage in front of the tree house, facing the big slab more or less... which puts the artists (and some of the audience, depending on time of day) in the shade. I think it's nicer that way.

FWIW, at Mag & Spring, the prime real estate around the lake has been occupied for years by the same groups, and it's cool cuz you kind of know most of the folks you are camped near, fest to fest to fest. Well except for those bozos with that Waneetopia camp; they are newbies on the lake, and they still need some discipline :lol:

Thu Apr 17, 2014 5:17 pm Profile
Wanee Master

Just like Wanee...the earlier you get there...the better the camping situation. The nice thing is .....where Wanee is 20,000+/-, Mag and Spring probably bring in around 5,000 (my estimates only). It is easy to find a good spot...and easy to meet new friends.
Each festival has a different lean....
Springfest.... more Bluegrassy type
Wanee.... more R&R and Bluesy
Magfest... more Americana (I call it)
and BearCreek... more electronica....
Each is fun in it's own way.

Where Wanee can be hectic at times...the others are pretty laid back and relaxing. I don't think there are as many drugs at the others as compared to Wanee.
There are some all night jams out by the Lake and scattered around. It is all together different with each....

Thu Apr 17, 2014 5:34 pm Profile
Wanee Peach

Has anyone been to Hulaween? We've heard some good things about that festival.

Fri Apr 18, 2014 11:19 am Profile
Wanee Master

Bear Creek is the funk-fest
AURA is funk and electronica

Both are reasonable in size, so camping is a lot easier.

Neither of those uses the Peach Stage, but Bear Creek does set up a stage opposite the Peach. They have five stages -- that one, the amphitheatre, the campground stage, Uncle Charlie's Porch and the Music Hall.

AURA used the amphitheatre, the porch stage and the music hall, plus one very small tent in between.

"Remember: music is a religion. You have to pray every day."
-- Jose' Luis "Cheo" Pardo, Los Amigos Invisibles

Fri Apr 18, 2014 12:19 pm Profile
Wanee Fan

I've only been to Magfest. They do use the two main stages (for Mag they just refer to them as "Meadow" and "Amphitheatre" - not Peach/Shroom).

As for camping, we've camped the last two years in the Hidden Woods area (rustic). There have been a handful of other tents set up in the area but it's not at all crowded - plenty of elbow room & not many others to worry that our kids are disturbing someone else as they tromp around in the woods gathering up every fallen branch so that we have enough wood for the weekend. Or the year, something like that.

Fri Apr 18, 2014 1:50 pm Profile
 [ 62 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next