Last visit was: Fri Nov 28, 2014 10:37 am It is currently Fri Nov 28, 2014 10:37 am

[ 29 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 I miss Zappa 
Wanee Pro

Post Re: I miss Zappa
My husband has been a diehard Zappa fan for many years having seen him multiple times Back in the Day. He introduced him to me but unfortunately I never had the chance to see him. I HAVE seen Zappa plays Zappa and have only good things to say about them. If you have the chance, GO! You won't be disappointed!

Fri May 02, 2014 8:44 am Profile
Wanee Lover

You can't trust me but if gma is on board then you know Zappa Plays Zappa is a solid.

Fri May 02, 2014 12:12 pm Profile
Wanee Lover

mccjeff wrote:
You can't trust me but if gma is on board then you know Zappa Plays Zappa is a solid.

Agreed. I've seen ZPZ several times and was never disappointed. Anyone see that Halloween '81 show that I posted at the top of this thread? Top notch AV for that time!

Fri May 02, 2014 12:29 pm Profile
Wanee Lover

not yet

Fri May 02, 2014 3:12 pm Profile
Wanee Lover

I was lucky enough to have seen Frank a couple of times a year way back when. He always (like the ABB Beacon run) played in NYC for a few days leading up to and on Halloween night. He did two shows a night most of the time and THE show to go to was the midnight on Halloween. I remember taking the train into the city with no tickets and the goal was to scalp a ticket for both the early and late shows....Some years we did and some we didn't but it was always a great time. You never knew what he was going to play, he would throw in a few familiar songs to keep everyone happy and other than that it was all stuff I never heard! As I recall most years it was at the Beacon! And I remember one year at the Felt Forum under Madison Square Garden.
Zappa plays Zappa is amazing and if you love Frank you probably have already seen them. If not a Zappa Fan, I strongly suggest going if you get a chance. Chances are if you ae reading this you understand great music and are sure to come away a FZ fan!!!!!

Fri May 02, 2014 7:13 pm Profile
Wanee Lover

ReverendHugh wrote:
mccjeff wrote:

Agreed. I've seen ZPZ several times and was never disappointed. Anyone see that Halloween '81 show that I posted at the top of this thread? Top notch AV for that time!

Nice find on that link!!!!!!! gonna try putting on dvd and see how it comes out...Another if you haven't seen it, and YES, the encore is Whippin Post!!!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CbeFjEHE-XY

Fri May 02, 2014 7:22 pm Profile
Wanee Master

My guitar wants to kill your mama!

Fri May 02, 2014 7:35 pm Profile
Wanee Lover

AndieBee wrote:
My guitar wants to kill your mama!

She told me don't bother to call again
Unless I cut off all my hair

Fri May 02, 2014 8:17 pm Profile
Wanee Master

ZAPPA & ZPZ

I WAS LUCKY. Really lucky. I fell in with a bunch of freaks at the radio station at Lehigh and at the fraternity house who were huge Zappa fanatics. Somehow, I foolishly passed on going to the 1971 Carnegie Hall concert that some of them attended. After that, though, I was all over it.

Senior year at Lehigh, 1972-1973:
09/29/72 Wazoo Orchestra, MSG Felt Forum NYC, early show
10/31/72 Petit Wazoo, Capitol Theatre, Passaic NJ, late show
11/10/72 Petit Wazoo, U. Penn, Philadelphia
[Tim Buckley opened all three shows.]
04/28/73 MOI w/ Ponty, Spectrum, Philadelphia [Mahavishnu Orchestra opened]
05/08/73 MOI w/ Ponty, Capitol Theatre, Passaic NJ [If opened]

After moving to Florida:
07/13/74 YCDTOSA Vol. 2 band, Bayfront Center, St. Petersburg [Tom Waits opened]
10/16/76 Philadelphia band, Ft. Homer Hesterly Armory, Tampa
09/15/78 Sheik Yerbouti tour, Bayfront Center, St. Petersburg
04/17/80 Mothers, Jai-Alai Fronton, Tampa
10/22/81 Mothers, Bayfront Center, St. Petersburg
12/01/84 Mothers, Bayfront Center, St. Petersburg

I was fortunate enough to interview Frank twice and get to hear three sound checks (hour-long, directed by FZ, incredibly precise).

I have seen Zappa Plays Zappa four times. My hat is off to Dweezil. I am sure somewhere in his mind he would like to make his own music. The simplest and best compliment I can give to ZPZ is that Frank would have LOVED to play with this band! And, if you don’t have tears streaming down your face when Dweezil channels FZ on “Inca Roads,” you must be a zombie. I did make that hard Rock Live show 12/11/06 with Napoleon, Vai and Bozzio and the next one with Ray White. Our most recent show was the 09/11/11 show in Clearwater when they opened for Return to Forever. What a great night!

"Remember: music is a religion. You have to pray every day."
-- Jose' Luis "Cheo" Pardo, Los Amigos Invisibles

Wed May 07, 2014 6:01 pm Profile
Wanee Pro

[quote="tieyourshoes51 Our most recent show was the 09/11/11 show in Clearwater when they opened for Return to Forever. What a great night![/quote]

Saw Dweezil open for Return to Forever in Boca. I could have listened all night. It was such a letdown to have the "Main Act" come on.

Thu May 08, 2014 7:47 am Profile
 [ 29 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next