Last visit was: Fri Jul 25, 2014 4:57 am It is currently Fri Jul 25, 2014 4:57 am

[ 15 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 The BIG What? 
Wanee Pro

Post Re: The BIG What?
This is exactly why I came onto the forum today. I suddenly have the potential to take some extra vacation days in June and since none of my favorite bands seem to be doing anything until July I figured I might try to hit a semi-local/regional festival. As I was skimming the Jambase festival guide, this is the one that caught my attention. So hoping to get some info on it. Anyone ever been here before? If so whats it like? More interested in the festival grounds, camping, non-musical activities, and general scene.

Zach Deputy and Larry Keel are two of my favorite artists, but honestly I dont really know much about anyone else (I honest to god have never even heard of BIG Something but apparently they are big enough to have their own festival); so much of my experience would be about enjoying the 'other' parts of the festival.

Any info would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Sun Jun 01, 2014 9:06 pm Profile
Wanee Lover

handsNfeet, I have not been. However A LOT of my friends have and they swear by it. It is a small "localish" fest and I am familiar with a lot of the bands on the lineup. This is a new location for it this year but a site that has hosted other local fests before. The campground is just some farmland in central NC.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/9129+Harmony+Church+Rd/@36.1723006,-79.2633109,16z/data=!4m2!3m1!1s0x89ad2909788cdeaf:0xd2ffb165c75d7537

They say there is wooded camping a short distance form where you park or it is free car camping.

As far as the extras...
Also Available on Site:
- An 18 Hole Disc Golf Course
- Outdoor Showers (new this year)
- Delicious Food Vendors, Bagged ICE, and Water for sale (Please note: we do not sell alcohol on site)
- Arts and Crafts Vendors
- Homegrown Music Network Artist Merch
- Art Gallery, Live Painters, & Free Expression Bus
- Performers, Visuals, and Light Show!
- Contests, Theme Nights, and an abundance of other nonsense and surprises. Decorations, Costumes and things that GLOW are highly encouraged!

Now, about the lineup. I am willing to bet that if you come with an open mind you will leave with a new favorite "got to see them" band. On another site someone ripped it for being a bunch of garage bands with Toubab sbeing the suckiest headliner ever. Oh well, my partial response was as follows...

BIG Something is a regionally touring band and won album of the year from Home Grown Music Network and are definitely worth checking out. They play a mix of rock, funk, jazz, reggae and space jams with a strong guitar and horn interplay. Toubab tour nationally and play a hybrid West African/Asheville jam fusion that gets my wife shaking so I like them. Zach Dputy is another national act. His solo shows feature him looping a lot on a Godin midi guitar, vocals, stomp board, fire extinguisher, etc to build up rhythms that he riffs over. Larry Keel has a better sideburns than anyone else and is a helluva flat picker. Mantras are a mostly regional band but play IL, CO, NY, VT etc. The have their own fest, Mantrabash, that if it weren't for it being the weekend before Lockn, I would be at. High Energy funk rock, metal, electronic, middle eastern blend that is worth hearing. As is their latest album, Jambands Ruined My Life. Big Daddy Love put on a killer show of Americana/roots with good guitar and banjo and a big time front man. They are definitely getting into the local band area but they still tour CO so... Pigeons rock, I've seen them at other fests. Dirty Bourbon I don't know. Sol Driven Train is out of Charleston, SC and are a huge mix of sounds and lots of fun. And on and on.

If you've got the time and nothing better to do come and hang out for a few days and see some awesome music. At $75 you can hardly beat it.

Mon Jun 02, 2014 10:05 am Profile
Wanee Veteran

mccjeff wrote:
Mantrabash, that if it weren't for it being the weekend before Lockn, I would be at. High Energy funk rock, metal, electronic, middle eastern blend that is worth hearing. As is their latest album, Jambands Ruined My Life.

THAT is hysterical :lol:

& yep, it looks like a good fest. Ignore the haters. Putting down bands / fests, and other negative energy, doesn't do a thing for anyone except show immaturity on the part of the person putting it out there. Not every fest can be an epic Bonnaroo / Wanee / Lock'n. Smaller fests rock too 8-)

Mon Jun 02, 2014 11:10 am Profile
Wanee Master

Six other reasons to go to The Big What? in addition to Big Something, who were superb here on my birthday in Tampa!

Toubab Krewe -- wonderful

The Hip Abduction -- from Tampa, much like TK but with vocals. Their reggae, is good, but their Afrobeat is SUPERB!

Pigeons Playing Ping Pong -- Baltimore quartet who have a blast laying down the funk

CopE -- my Tampa boys, 28 shows for me. They deliver big time rock and funk.

Arpetrio -- jamtronic trio as I recall. I really enjoyed them.

Tauk -- saw them twice in March. Fusion quartet. ABSOLUTELY SUPERB.

"Remember: music is a religion. You have to pray every day."
-- Jose' Luis "Cheo" Pardo, Los Amigos Invisibles

Tue Jun 10, 2014 5:27 pm Profile
Wanee Wizard

mccjeff & tieyourshoes51, you two should be salesmen, now I want to go!

Sat Jun 14, 2014 7:16 am Profile
 [ 15 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2