Last visit was: Wed Oct 22, 2014 11:02 pm It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 11:02 pm

[ 9 posts ] 
 North Atlantic Blues Festival 
Wanee Wizard

Post North Atlantic Blues Festival
Can anyone share anything about this lineup?

http://www.northatlanticbluesfestival.c ... ry/lineup/

Tue Jun 24, 2014 6:18 pm Profile
Wanee Master

Post Re: North Atlantic Blues Festival
Seen the Mannish Boys, don't know anyone else. Check it out though, might be some great talent in there!!

Tue Jun 24, 2014 11:11 pm Profile
Wanee Veteran

EnjoyingTheRide wrote:
Can anyone share anything about this lineup?

http://www.northatlanticbluesfestival.c ... ry/lineup/

Sure can. Seen ninety percent of them at least once.

Victor is a Savannah/Daytona piano playing fella. He won the BMA Pinetop Perkins Piano award the last two years. His young, band is fun and talented as well. Saw them last in May on an island with the Rev.

Joanna is my second favorite lady guitar player. She is a regular at Kingston Mines and Legends in Chicago, as is Melvin. Slide on in and Got to have you are in heavy rotation on my cranium MP3 player.

C.J. is a lot of fun, Zydeco always puts a smile on me and I dare you to sit still. In Boulder last summer, it was a riot watching them at the street faire.

JLW had a lady sax player the last time we saw them at the first Sunshine blues fest that was incredible. My fav song of his is Blues of the month club.

Go and blues it up.

Wed Jun 25, 2014 1:18 am Profile
Wanee Master

There you have it from Mr Blues himself!

Wed Jun 25, 2014 3:21 am Profile
Wanee Master

I have a CD of Joe Louis Walker it is a good one

Wed Jun 25, 2014 5:36 am Profile
Wanee Wizard

So Ron, of the four you mentioned, they are split between days. I'm probably only going to make one day; which would you suggest?

Saturday

Victor Wainwright - BMA Pinetop Perkins Piano award

C.J. Chenier - A lot of fun, Zydeco always puts a smile on me and I dare you to sit still

Sunday

Joanna Connor - Second favorite lady guitar player

Joe Louis Walker - Lady sax player the last time we saw them at the first Sunshine blues fest that was incredible

Wed Jun 25, 2014 8:28 am Profile
Wanee Veteran

Hi Jeff!
I'd do the club crawl on Saturday night, sleep in and catch the two Chi players and Joe Louis Walker.
LRBC is a sponsor, Please see the land yacht and ask them if TTB will be on #25.

Wed Jun 25, 2014 9:40 am Profile
Wanee Veteran

Mark Hummel, Little Charlie Baty, and Anson Funderburgh are all great, as in: REALLY top notch players.

I would personally be maiming small children to see Little Charlie again. I thought he retired from gigs... he led Little Charlie & the Nightcats, a fantastic west coast outfit. He plays a big ol' hollowbody, and gets into some Charlie Christian / swing stuff when he gets going. Absolutely one of my favorite blues guitar players, because he DOES NOT do the loud SRV wannabe thing. He's a really tasteful player with chops galore.

Mark Hummell is a fantastic harmonica player, who can do the Little Walter thing, but can also delve into Toots Thielemans' jazzier stuff. Amazing harp player I would actually go see, and I pretty much am sick of blues harp.

Anson Funderberg is a nerdy lookin' guy from Texas who does T-Bone Walker guitar... runs in style from Jimmy Vaughan to Ronnie Earl. Another great player.

Thackery used to lead The Nighthawks, a DC blues / rock outfit that started about 1972 or so. Kick ass player.

----

A really solid lineup, that's actually about the blues, as opposed to loud electric guitar players :P ... My vote would be for Saturday, cuz of the above mentioned names, and also CJ, cuz I do loves me some zydeco :D

Wed Jun 25, 2014 10:26 am Profile
Wanee Wizard

Thanks for all the info folks but I was just reminded that our son that ran off to Vegas to get married is having a ceromony/reception on that weekend. It's going to be a weekend long party beginning Friday night and continuing through Sunday. We'll be camping on the Penobscot River near Baxter State Park and will be floating the river on Saturday before the ceromony. If any of you have been to that area you know what it's like, if not, check this out. It's a beautiful place!

http://www.chewonki.org/vacations/vacat ... 7AodJAsAiw

http://www.baxterstateparkauthority.com/

Thu Jun 26, 2014 8:42 am Profile
 [ 9 posts ]