Last visit was: Fri Oct 24, 2014 10:43 am It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 10:44 am

[ 25 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Celebrating the Songs & Music of Lynyrd Skynyrd 
Wanee Master

Post Re: Celebrating the Songs & Music of Lynyrd Skynyrd
beach bob wrote:
Jensen B Gator wrote:
remember what Shannon said about disrespecting Skynyrd :lol:

Dang. I do not recall what Shannon said... really! :|
-----

FWIW, and in all seriousness: that's a really first class lineup of talent. I would consider going to it, if I were in ATL.

If you don't know, music director Don Was, is a bassist and producer involved in many first rate album and film projects. He's one of T-Bone Burnett's go-to guys, and is musical director for the annual Americana Awards Show at the Ryman in Nashville every September. It's been broadcast on PBS the last couple years.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Don_Was

She said if she heard anyone disrespecting Skynyrd she would hit them in the titty :shock: :lol:

Tue Aug 12, 2014 2:08 pm Profile
Wanee Fan

Jensen B Gator wrote:
beach bob wrote:
Jensen B Gator wrote:
remember what Shannon said about disrespecting Skynyrd :lol:

Dang. I do not recall what Shannon said... really! :|
-----

FWIW, and in all seriousness: that's a really first class lineup of talent. I would consider going to it, if I were in ATL.

If you don't know, music director Don Was, is a bassist and producer involved in many first rate album and film projects. He's one of T-Bone Burnett's go-to guys, and is musical director for the annual Americana Awards Show at the Ryman in Nashville every September. It's been broadcast on PBS the last couple years.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Don_Was

She said if she heard anyone disrespecting Skynyrd she would hit them in the titty :shock: :lol:

That sounds like it could be fun; I've always liked Skynyrd, but I might have to start ragging on them. :twisted:

Tue Aug 12, 2014 3:09 pm Profile
Wanee Master

NCviper wrote:
Hey did you know that Lynyrd Skynyrd wrote a song about personal hygiene......

"wash that thang little girl...wash that thang!"

YIKES!

"Remember: music is a religion. You have to pray every day."
-- Jose' Luis "Cheo" Pardo, Los Amigos Invisibles

Tue Aug 12, 2014 3:24 pm Profile
Wanee Veteran

Jensen B Gator wrote:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Fortunately I have much padding there :!:

Tue Aug 12, 2014 4:05 pm Profile
Wanee Veteran

I just hope that Trace Adkins is sober and gives a good performance. I'm still smarting from his disappointing performance at the Gregg tribute. :x

FWIW- I think this will be a fun show to see. Killer line-up, songs that were solid in their heyday. Plus, the Fox is fantastic and always makes me feel fancy. ;)

In the clearing stands a boxer and a fighter by his trade and he carries the reminders of every glove that laid him down and cut him till he cried out in his anger and his shame, "I am leaving, I am leaving"...

...But the fighter still remains.

Wed Aug 13, 2014 9:46 am Profile
Wanee Veteran

Jensen B Gator wrote:

I feel like "kicking in the nuts" was also mentioned. :shock:

In the clearing stands a boxer and a fighter by his trade and he carries the reminders of every glove that laid him down and cut him till he cried out in his anger and his shame, "I am leaving, I am leaving"...

Wed Aug 13, 2014 9:47 am Profile
Wanee Veteran

frenchiejess wrote:
FWIW- I think this will be a fun show to see. Killer line-up, songs that were solid in their heyday. Plus, the Fox is fantastic and always makes me feel fancy. ;)

Yep. As I've said before, Skynyrd wrote the top-down, best-girl-at-my-side, beers-in-the-cooler songs that corporate Nashville tries to replicate today, and fails repeatedly in doing.

I like the tunes, and I love their catalog. I don't like the current band's hard core / defensive stance, or their jingoistic political stance. They are no more than a tribute act, despite having one? two? original members. And they are seriously in need of a funny bone.

Let's compare:

We went to see James Taylor perform a couple weeks ago. Fantastic show; absolutely cream-of-the-crop players in the band. So he did Handy Man, and for that tune, there was a video running on the screen of various lubed up, topless guys in tool belts and jeans, with all kinds of slo-mo sexually suggestive stuff going on. It was on the far edge of what would be appropriate for a 'family concert', and I suspect it offended some folks with kids out on the lawn. Bu that's their problem; we laughed and enjoyed it tremendously. It was self effacing, and at this point, James is okay poking fun at himself. He's a good egg, on top of being a totally first class performer.

Skynyrd wouldn't ever do something like that in concert. They are too busy waving the US flag, and trotting out their now 40 year old catalog like it was on Hot FM Radio last week.

Wed Aug 13, 2014 10:19 am Profile
Wanee Veteran

beach bob wrote:
frenchiejess wrote:

Yep. As I've said before, Skynyrd wrote the top-down, best-girl-at-my-side, beers-in-the-cooler songs that corporate Nashville tries to replicate today, and fails repeatedly in doing.

I like the tunes, and I love their catalog. I don't like the current band's hard core / defensive stance, or their jingoistic political stance. They are no more than a tribute act, despite having one? two? original members. And they are seriously in need of a funny bone.

Let's compare:

We went to see James Taylor perform a couple weeks ago. Fantastic show; absolutely cream-of-the-crop players in the band. So he did Handy Man, and for that tune, there was a video running on the screen of various lubed up, topless guys in tool belts and jeans, with all kinds of slo-mo sexually suggestive stuff going on. It was on the far edge of what would be appropriate for a 'family concert', and I suspect it offended some folks with kids out on the lawn. Bu that's their problem; we laughed and enjoyed it tremendously. It was self effacing, and at this point, James is okay poking fun at himself. He's a good egg, on top of being a totally first class performer.

Skynyrd wouldn't ever do something like that in concert. They are too busy waving the US flag, and trotting out their now 40 year old catalog like it was on Hot FM Radio last week.

Agreed. I did a bit of eye-rolling during their set at Wanee....but I also had a great time dancing. :D So, take THOSE songs, and have diverse and pretty bad-ass artists perform them....this could seriously rock.

Unfortunately, my rock-star hubby won't be in town to enjoy the show....so I guess it'll come down to how much the tix are and how I'm feeling when they go on sale.

Wed Aug 13, 2014 10:28 am Profile
Wanee Veteran

I passed on Skynyrd this past Wanee (stayed at the Mushroom stage), but my boy checked 'em out. He had fun laughing at some of the more hardcore LS fans :-)

Jason Isbell doing Simple Man. That would KILL.

Wed Aug 13, 2014 10:35 am Profile
Wanee Fan

frenchiejess wrote:
Jensen B Gator wrote:

I feel like "kicking in the nuts" was also mentioned. :shock:

Ok, scratch my earlier post - this doesn't sound so fun.

Skynyrd ROCKS!!!!!!

Wed Aug 13, 2014 10:42 am Profile
 [ 25 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next