Last visit was: Wed Oct 22, 2014 10:23 pm It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 10:23 pm

[ 9 posts ] 
 Lock'n 
Wanee Master

Post Lock'n
Hey....how 'bout some reviews (don't have to be as inclusive as TYS...but that would be nice)....and a few pics.
Would love to see the family that was there.
Did you guys have a (Wanee) Meet & Greet?

I have listened to a good many of the streams on Panicstream and they sounded terrific. I think the bands at Lock'n may have been a little higher quality than the bands at Wanee overall.
There seemed to be more Big Name bands there....(but maybe I am wrong).

Tue Sep 16, 2014 10:07 am Profile
Wanee Wizard

Post Re: Lock'n
Hmmm, reviews, well I'm no TYS that's for sure. The ABB set sent me home speachless. The ending of Whipping Post was so freakin' powerful it brought tears to my eyes. Not sure if I was thinking this was my last ABB show or if it was really that strong but in either case it was definitely an emotional time for me. I need to find a recording so I can listen again. The Widespread Winwood set was another that I really enjoyed. With Low Spark, Can't Find my Way Home, and Dear Mr. Fantasy? Just wow! At the risk of getting slammed, Grace Potter was not all glitter, glamour, and dramatic this time around, I really enjoyed her, I'll call it, a lower key show. Now I really like String Cheese Incident, but Cheese and the Gang let me down. Maybe it was more JT let me down. I thought this would be a fun set but I headed for home early. Another let down for me was Tom Petty. He held his arms in the air more than anything. The first couple of tunes, So you Want to be a Rock and Roll Star and Mary Jane's Last Dance were good but he lost my attention with his new American Dream Plan B.

I missed a lot of music due to the heat, 90+ degrees with 98% humidity kicked my butt. I know, you Florida folk say what the?, but us Maine folk only get that weather for about a week or maybe two a year. One day, I never left my site till after the sun went down.

All in all, I had a great time with Sue and our music family, we never really had a meet and greet but we all knew where we each other was camped. We were pretty much separated in an RV division, a preferred tent only division and a ADA division. Worked good for me, leave the RV, stop by preferred tent for a beer, then to ADA for another, then to the music!

Tue Sep 16, 2014 11:02 am Profile
Wanee Master

"If the river was whiskey,
and I was a divin' duck...
I'd dive to the bottom
and never come up..."

Tue Sep 16, 2014 1:18 pm Profile
Wanee Master

Rivernole wrote:
I'd dive to the bottom
and never come up..."

:twisted: my kind of duck

Tue Sep 16, 2014 2:15 pm Profile
Wanee Master

"Divin' Duck Blues"......Taj Mahall

Tue Sep 16, 2014 3:28 pm Profile
Wanee Wizard

Rivernole wrote:
I'd dive to the bottom
and never come up..."

I did see Taj Mahal but I'm not very familiar with him...

Tue Sep 16, 2014 3:42 pm Profile
Wanee Master

Of all the sets I have heard from Lock'n...I think this has been my favorite. There seems to always be an obscure set that I really like...one that you wouldn't think of....and most people don't go to.
At Wanee...it was Pink Talking Fish...that I missed :oops: ....but when I heard it (thanks Volkemon)...I loved their set.
Taj was at Wanee a couple years ago and sang with ABB a couple songs. And he had an afternoon Peach set.

Tue Sep 16, 2014 3:48 pm Profile
Wanee Master

Thanks for the reports, ETR! That's the kind of set I wish ABB had delivered at Wanee. I have to think they were not in the emotional mindset back in April. Those two nights were very good, but they weren't the stuff of legends. I confess that much of it has to do with my overly high expectations. I am truly grateful for all of the music we all get to share.

I love that song "Diving Duck" in whatever form it takes. I'm sure the first version I heard was Savoy Brown from Blue Matter with "Louisiana Blues." It wasn't until later that I heard Muddy's original of that tune. But then there was a cat I was not familiar with named Charlie Poole. Check the lyrics below. More than a few people have borrowed here and there.

Savoy Brown
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lH74NRzui5A

Charlie Poole
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rL4J-XIAKvw

If the river was whiskey and I was a duck
I'd dive to the bottom and I'd never come up
Oh, tell me how long have I got to wait?
Oh, can I get you now, must I hesitate?

If the river was whiskey and the branch was wine
You would see me in bathing just any old time

I was born in England, raised in France
I ordered a suit of clothes and they wouldn't send the pants
Tell me how long have I got to wait?

I was born in Alabama, I’s raised in Tennessee
If you don't like my peaches, don't shake on my tree

I looked down the road just as far as I could see
A man had my woman and the blues had me

I ain't no doctor but the doctor's son
I can do the doct'rin' till the doctor comes

Got the hesitation stockings, the hesitation shoes
Believe to my Lord, I've got the hesitation blues
But

"Remember: music is a religion. You have to pray every day."
-- Jose' Luis "Cheo" Pardo, Los Amigos Invisibles

Wed Sep 17, 2014 12:18 am Profile
Wanee Lover

Of all the surprises for me was Del McCoury and his band, later joined by the Preservation Hall Jazz Band who helped him close out the set and then his band exited the stage and joined the PHJB on their stage and played throughout their set. It was hot yet Mr. McCoury never broke a sweat.

Tedeshi Trucks Band brought the heat in sweltering weather and the set was full of many Brian Farmer reminders.

SCI is okay, but I am new to them so I have to learn a bit more about their music.

Wish I could have climbed that big hill to see all the late night acts, but this gal was whipped at 12:30 each night. Panic/Winwood was a highlight because Steve did all the singing of his own music. Panic alone was fun, fun, fun.

Tom Petty .... hmmmmm arms raised, posing, grandstanding and wait a minute who am I talking about again, oh yeah, Tom. After the first two songs my attention was lost...the football game on in one of the bar tents nearby was getting more applause and cheers than Mr. Petty.

Allman Brothers, well, it is the end of an era for me. Started out listening back in the early, early 70s. Grew up in that music filled wonderland. Sad to see the end. Tears during Mountain Jam>Blue Sky>Mountain Jam, tears during the Brian Farmer lone chair on the stage, near tears during Statesboro blues...very close family connection to that town-mother born and raised there, chill bumps through the entire show.

My biggest sadness was that my oldest daughter "Jessica" could not attend this show with me. She was named after the song and her number one band is ABB.

I have yet to make a return decision, that was a long haul for me, although I had one of the Merry Pranksters return back to Indiana with me so that broke up the monotony of the trip.

I would love for this venue to be closer, not so hot (and I grew up in the south, but for the love of all that's "holey" it was hot, hot, hot) and all the stages on flatter ground.

Long post, I'm sorry, just my observances. Now POTM, that's a whole 'nother ball 'o wax.

Sat Sep 20, 2014 3:26 pm Profile
 [ 9 posts ]