Last visit was: Wed Nov 26, 2014 11:00 am It is currently Wed Nov 26, 2014 11:00 am

[ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Wanee Virgin Seeks Guidance 
Wanee Gnome

Post Wanee Virgin Seeks Guidance
I'm a Long time NO Jazz Fester who's never been to the Wanee Festival. This lineup is the most incredible bill I've ever seen. I'm an old fart who bought his first Feat LP in '69, and first Umphrey's McGee CD five years ago.

Could you past attendees toss out some suggestions to make the best of this trip? Does the camping layout give you a chance to get some sleep at night, or would you be better off driving to a nearby motel?

At the racetrack in New Orleans, the authorities are pretty laid back. How about Suwannee? Thanks in advance for any advice --

Sat Feb 28, 2009 2:32 pm Profile
Wanee Veteran

Post Re: Wanee Virgin Seeks Guidance
It all depends on how you want to camp. I'd avoid camping around the lake, it seems to attract all night partiers. The "Bird Sanctuary" has the drum circle. In the past the electric campsite jam was on the River Road near the main stage. Further out should be fine but more of a hike. Camping in the "Loop" wasn't bad the times I did it in the past but that wasn't for a Wanee Fest. You tend to get more RV's and pop-up campers back there. You can pretty much forget renting one of the cabins. They are probably already taken. Beyond that, it all depends on who ends up camped near you.

There is RV camping near the main stage and they usually have a admissions gate near there.

There is a decent motel near I-10 which is a few miles away but I'd get my reservation in now if you want to stay there.

As far as being hassled, discretion is advised. Plain clothes police have been known to walk the campgrounds. I have seen people arrested but they were being a bit blatant.

Sat Feb 28, 2009 3:11 pm Profile
Wanee Master

I've been to all the Waneefests and I usually get an upgrade to a electric/water site with a tent. RVs are usually around me and I have had no problems. The first year I went in 05 I had a primative site and there was a moble home on the site so I upgraded which you have to do through campground office not where you get your braclet or tickets. All the other years I phoned ahead.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nm039Hw45aw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_FCQwv82 ... r_embedded

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NBo_POKv21w

Sat Feb 28, 2009 3:30 pm Profile WWW
Wanee Gnome

There is a great vibe tent camping under the shade near the lake with many wanee vets. I would also recommend on the sides of the road heading towards the beach and behind the main stage to the right in the trees. Huge park with crazy amounts of great spots. It just depends on you're mood. I recommend comming on Thur to get the choice selection. Peace

Sat Feb 28, 2009 6:58 pm Profile
Wanee Fan

As far as sleep at night goes, steer clear of the drum circle for sure. My second year out there, my Brothers and I made that mistake, & the last night they drum until the sun comes up. There are some great spots near the river & under some trees. But if you're RVing it, you're golden. Either way, I've always found when I'm ready to go to sleep, it's pretty damn easy after a long day of beers & fun. All four years we haven't had any problems with authorities. Don't draw attention & you'll be set. Hope you get to make it out there to enjoy our some great jams in our 'back yard'

Allman Brother Borealis AKA SOUTHERN LIGHTS!!!

Sun Mar 01, 2009 4:50 pm Profile
Wanee Mushroom

Very good info so far. Be prepared for the heat. Think Jazzfest when REALLY hot. I think it was my 2nd year at Jazzfest that Jazzfest broiled. Usually Wanee is in April, 2 weeks before Jazzfest. Early June can be pretty hot. No worries on the local cops unless you are stupid. Saw 2 guys go into the area on the hill and fire up a bowl in plain site with 2 cops in viewing distance. Cops took them away but saw them walking around the campground later. You won't sleep well in primitive camping. Get a spot with power and have a fan or a camper with AC. Staying in a hotel you miss a lot of the fun.

Sun Mar 01, 2009 6:05 pm Profile
Wanee Veteran

Don't forget the sun screen!

Mon Mar 02, 2009 12:28 pm Profile
Wanee Master

Also make sure your on high ground, in 07 on sat night we had a monsoon. My buddies tent was flooded, as I'm sure alot of other were too. I't was funny as hell, he almost floted away on his air matt.. We packed up early sunday morning so I wasn't able to get anyone elses storys. I'll post a topic about it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nm039Hw45aw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_FCQwv82 ... r_embedded

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NBo_POKv21w

Last edited by Dartdog82 on Tue Mar 03, 2009 3:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Mar 03, 2009 11:38 am Profile WWW
Wanee Veteran

Dartdog82 wrote:
Also make sure your on high ground, in 07 on sat night we had a monsoon. My buddies tent was flooded, as I'm sure alot of other were too. I't was funny as hell, he almost floted away on his air matt.. We packed up early sunday morning so I wasn;t able to get anyone elses storys. I'll post a topic about it.

Yep, I was camped in my Honda Element in '07 and was warm, cozy and dry until I had to get up to use the bathroom. I stepped out into an ankle deep puddle and was feeling bad until I looked over at my neighbor's tent, which was in the middle of the puddle, probably at least 6" deep. I kind of snickered because they had been somewhat jerks but then I felt sorry for them anyway.

The next day as I was leaving there where those pop-up canopys on trash piles everywhere!

At one festival (Springfest maybe?) it rained so much the field where the main stage is flooded and people were using canoes to get the beer kegs that had floated off.

Tue Mar 03, 2009 11:45 am Profile
Wanee Gnome

Post Wanee Virgin Seeks Guidance
Be smart, be smart, be smart, and youll have an awesome time. Its an amazing park and a hell of a festival, I've been every single year, as well as the past 2 Bear Creeks. Its such a beautiful place. Have fun!

Tue Mar 03, 2009 12:09 pm Profile
 [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next