Last visit was: Sun Nov 23, 2014 11:49 pm It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 11:49 pm

[ 91 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next
 Advice for rookies from a guy who was a rookie last year 
Wanee Mushroom

Post Re: Advice for rookies from a guy who was a rookie last year
Marky- Yeah, I want to camp close to the same place I did last year. It was cool to be near the electric jam, but I mainly dig it for the close proximity to the stage (and there's more shade and slightly more grass than some places). If I can't get there, oh well, I'll learn to find another good place. It's all about the experiences, right? Also, I appreciate the suggestion for the RV, but I'm always the type that, even when going with friends, I like to take my own vehicle wherever I go, that way I know I can come and go as I please, don't have to rely on others, and won't get left behind and miss work the next day. That would suck beyond comparison.

owllover- I'm glad you dig the thread. I'm glad people seem to take an interest in it. I'm kind of suprised at the lack of activity on this board since there's so many people getting into Wanee lately (myself included). Hopefully some more vets will post on this thread and we can keep it going, if anything it can help the first-timers because I know I had a billion questions last year.

atlanta hippie- Hell yeah, it would be nice to meet some folks from the board, especially vets. Oh yeah, the Outlaws are bad-ass. I don't necessarily dig all of their stuff, but "Green Grass and High Tides" is not only an unbelievable guitar display, it's also a kick-ass screen name, I think.

Fri Mar 20, 2009 11:24 pm Profile
Wanee Veteran

GreenGrassHighTides wrote:
owllover- I'm glad you dig the thread. I'm glad people seem to take an interest in it. I'm kind of suprised at the lack of activity on this board since there's so many people getting into Wanee lately (myself included). Hopefully some more vets will post on this thread and we can keep it going, if anything it can help the first-timers because I know I had a billion questions last year.

I think you'll see more folks on board once the Beacon/Moogis fever runs its course. There's not much talk about Wanee yet on the ABB listserv @ Netspace.org and really not all that much on the forum at the ABB web site. But I'm sure things will pick up all over as we get closer to the fest.

Sat Mar 21, 2009 12:48 pm Profile
Wanee Master

Agree's with Cyber!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nm039Hw45aw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_FCQwv82 ... r_embedded

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NBo_POKv21w

Sat Mar 21, 2009 7:59 pm Profile WWW
Wanee Mushroom

BUMP for any new ppl.

Thu Mar 26, 2009 7:13 pm Profile
Wanee Gnome

Greengrasshightides,,

Thanks for the info, This is our 1st time and Appreciate the knowledge,, You seem like a honest sharp guy we'll take you advice an dbe careful.

Thanks,

Rick in Sarasota

Sun Mar 29, 2009 12:19 pm Profile
Wanee Lover

Location: SWFLwhere Gregg,Matt,Dickey and several others lived and still live!
Thanks for all of the advice. ;) ...I am bringing a Travel Trailer and some in our group are handicapped...(can't walk too far! and can't handle the heat all day etc..) Does anyone know where the or if they have handicap parking close to the Peach stage? That has hookups? Am glad to have read these posts they are helpful...Thanks again, hope to meet the HONEST, GOOD peeps :) ;) and not the "Charles M" types :shock: :roll: .....but like you said there will be all kinds.... :o I hope the vibe is as peaceful as the XMAS JAM was?? :?: And are there like concrete pads that you park on??? Thanks in advance... :)

Tue Mar 31, 2009 1:36 pm Profile
Wanee Veteran

Muleldy1 wrote:
Thanks for all of the advice. ;) ...I am bringing a Travel Trailer and some in our group are handicapped...(can't walk too far! and can't handle the heat all day etc..) Does anyone know where the or if they have handicap parking close to the Peach stage? That has hookups?

I wish! I have a few physical problems and it would be nice to not have to walk as far. Luckily my campmates will have both their own golfcarts and some they will rent so I can bum rides. I wish the campground would run a shuttle around. I've seen that at other festivals.

As far as hookups, do you mean at the camp site? Better reserve it now! There is a handicapped area by both stages but its just a place for wheelchairs, etc. I don't think there is any power, etc.

Wed Apr 01, 2009 2:12 pm Profile
Wanee Gnome

Great advice! This will be mine and my son's 2nd time (we missed last year :( ). We are so excited!!!! I have been to a ton of festivals (mostly in northern cali), and Wanee rates WAY up there on my BEST FESTIVALS EVER LIST!!!!!!

CAMPING: We camped closer to the river (farther from the stage) in one of the camp sites. It was a really nice area, shady and relaxing with mellow people. You don't have so many people walking through your set up as you do closer to the stage, and it's close to the sandy beach area (swimming). The drawback is that it's a bit of a hike to the stage. You couldn't hear the music as well, and it takes a while to walk back and forth from your site to the stage. Oh, check the weather before you leave. You may need to prepare for rain.

STUFF TO BRING: It was REALLY dark at night walking back to our site a couple years back. I recommend you hang a glow stick or something, so you can find your camp. SUNSCREEN, SUNSCREEN, AND MORE SUNSCREEN!!!!! People forget it especially at the stage; you will be a LIFESAVER!!!!! Some sort of ant repellent. While I do not like using poison at all, you are going to be sleeping on the ground for a few nights, and there could be ants. I HIGHLY recommend baby wipes aka "Hippie Shower" as well. A large ice chest packed as full as you can with ice before you get there; it will last at least 2 days.

FOOD: I agree with "food you don't have to prepare." It's very much a "grab and go" type of lifestyle. If you bring stuff to cook, you will have to do dishes somehow....doing dishes is a pain in the butt. Cup O Noodles and oatmeal/grits are good becasue you just need to boil water. Red potatoes and corn on the cob wrapped in foil and thrown on the fire work great too!

SAFETY: I always lock my valuables and cooler in my car when I go to the show. People will not likely steal your tent and sleeping bag, but they will more likely jack your beer, ice, and stuff that is easy to carry. Another freaky thing happened to us a couple years back. IN NO WAY IS THIS A REFLECTION ON THE FANS OR MUSICIANS!!!! My son (he was 4 at the time) and I were approached by an older man. He gave me the willies the way he was acting around my son (in a child molester type of way). Parents, while festivals are very fun and full of safe really cool people for the most part, PLEASE keep an eye on your kids. Like the "guy who was a rookie last year" said, there is that handful of weirdos out there.

I have a question....do they allow glass bottles, or do all drinks have to be in cans?

Peace!

Wed Apr 01, 2009 10:25 pm Profile
Wanee Gnome

Wow.

This is awesome. You all answered a lot of questions I had. My buddy and I are rookies and are driving in from ATL, and are shooting for a thursday evening arrival.

We are 25 year old working men, who enjoy music and all of the festivities that come along with it. Real laid back and enjoy a good time. If anyone out there wants to meet up or camp near eachother that would be cool., shoot me an email.

jayciro@gmail.com

I have a few questions though.

Approximately how far are most of the primitive campgrounds to the stages? I would hate to leave my stuff out ALLLLLL day long while listening to music if it is a 10-15 min walk.

Any recommendations on food? Grassy said dont bring anything to cook, but I would love to bring a small (REAL SMALL) charcoal grill to atleast BBQ some dogs and burgers.

At the campsites, can we count on parking our car next to our tent? Or is it only if we get there early?

When is the best time to arrive for primitive campers?

How much money should we bring to buy food at the festival? Is it expensive?

Thanks soo much... this really helps

Wed Apr 29, 2009 2:31 am Profile
Wanee Gnome

Post Looking for cool people to join our Wanee camping group!
Hi everyone!

Check out Camp Cosmic on Facebook-it is a site we have decidated to Wanee. A group of us has been going to Wanee for the last three years and LOVE it!

We are always looking for cool new people to join our camp site to add to the crazy ass mix of revelers, partiers, soul searchers and general idiots that is Camp Cosmic so if you have any of these skills please let us know and you will be on board:

Ability to drink, smoke, or even soberly enjoy the hell out of life :)

Ability to laugh at yourself and others with abandon

Ability to live and let live and let Wanee!

We usually set up a BIG camp around the lake and have special events every day too-you might have been to last years 1st annual Absithne Party or to the Tequila Volleyball game, or the smashing of the Adult Pinata or seen our Bumper Bar all lit up when the camp is up and partying.

We are all about the music too but also the camraderie of friends old and new and having some generally silly fun while at Wanee!

There are no children in our camp or animals, not because we don't like them just because we don't want to worry about them this week. This week is for all of us adults to relax, soak inthe vibes and just have fun.

Camp is usually set up by midweek so we get a great favorite spot and get everything all set up in time to relax and enjoy the festivities.

For those staying at Camp Cosmic considering flying into the festival: Need Gear? Just contact one of camp cosmics counselors and we'll try to round you up a tent/gear.

Camp Cosmic gets set up with a kitchen, gas powered hot shower, and hammocks all around.

If you decide to join on with our group you will be given a food or supply assignment the week before of what to bring...might be toilet paper, might be bacon and how much of it to bring...we have people cooking meals every day and its set up very much like a little community within Wanee. Everyone brings their share and everyone has everything they need. That way no one has to cart a miliion things from wherever! Most of us come up from South Florida so its not too bad!

So if you are a cool peson or persons and want to add your tents to the Camp Cosmic Crew-Just reach out to us on Facebook and join in....the more the merrier, but we do have a set of Camp Cosmic Wanee Rules to live by though-

1. You can do whatever you want to do as long as you don’t interfere with anyone else’s Wanee!

2. No Whining!

3. No Judgments!

4. No Fighting, Arguing or generally being s#%tty

5. No “shart”ing yourself and not showering!

6. No unappealing repetitive singing (Camp Cosmic Counselors have Executive powers)

7. If you can’t take a joke…%$#& you!

8. Turtle-Bring some beer

9. Refer to Rule #1

10. Relax and Enjoy...its Wanee.

Hope to see you all at Wanee 09!!!

Wed Apr 29, 2009 3:15 am Profile
 [ 91 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next