Last visit was: Thu Nov 27, 2014 5:49 pm It is currently Thu Nov 27, 2014 5:49 pm

[ 405 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 41  Next
 Let's get to know one another 
Wanee Mushroom

Post Let's get to know one another
Since we're all like-minded and friendly folks (plus I'd like to see a little more activity on the board), let's do one of those tell-us-about-yourself threads.

First name? (optional, of course):
Where from?:
Male/Female?:
Been to Wanee before?:
What do you do for a living?:

and most importantly, music:
Play any instruments?:
Favorite bands/artists?:

Finally, what is it about music that brought you here?:

(Feel free to add any other questions)

Fri Mar 20, 2009 11:37 pm Profile
Wanee Mushroom

Post Re: Let's get to know one another
First name? (optional, of course): Jesse
Where from?: Clewiston, FL (on Lake Okeechobee, down by the Everglades)
Male/Female?: studly Male
Been to Wanee before?: just once, first time last year
What do you do for a living?:Mon-Sat I work on the parts counter at a Caterpillar construction/farm equipment dealership, been there almost four years. Sat-Sun, wait tables at Beef O'Brady's, little Irish-themed family sports bar.

Play any instruments?: No, but i'd like to. I just don't know if I've got the skill (or more importantly, patience). I LOOOOOVE the guitar and just about anything I listen to is usually guitar-driven.

Favorite bands/artists?: Mostly heavier stuff, but also some classic/southern rock, bluesy stuff, and lots of metal (also some alt.country and classic country). Favorites include: Zakk Wylde, Megadeth, Pantera, Danzig, Black Sabbath, Corrosion of Conformity, Down, Type O Negative, Van Halen (Diamond-Dave era only), Soundgarden, Pelican, The Sword, Metallica, , Pink Floyd, The Allman Bros. Band (of course), Skynyrd, Gov't Mule, Red Hot Chili Peppers, The Band, Drive-By Truckers, Lucero, Jim Croce, Gregg Allman solo, Static-X, Old Crow Medicine Show, Gary Stewart (most underrated country artist ever, R.I.P.), Waylon Jennings, Guns N Roses (current and former), Thin Lizzy (one of my favorite "guitar-bands" ever), Iced Earth, Steve Earle, CCR, Tom Petty, Ozzy, Dwight Yoakam, Alice In Chains, Rolling Stones, Joe Satriani, Hendrix, Robert Earl Keen, Eagles, Kyuss

Long list, I know, but I really love them all and can't pick favorites

Finally, what is it about music that brought you here?: Starting listening to a lot of different music at an early age and really started refining my tastes according to what really gets to me. Because of that, I'm pretty selective in my musical preferences and anybody I listen to has to either have great musicianship (Pelican, Black Sabbath, Thin Lizzy, Allmans) or at least what I think are good lyrics (Drive-By Truckers, Steve Earle, Jim Croce, Creedence). Started looking for good newer music to get into and stumbled across Gov't Mule. REALLY started digging them, went online to see if they ever play in Florida, and lo-and-behold, not only where they playing in FL, but they were playing with the F**KING ALLMAN BROTHERS! At a weekend-long festival by the river? Sign me up! Went last year and had the time of my life (no Gregg, of course, but the family jam was damn good). I don't guess I fit the stereo-type of a jam-band festival loving dude...I don't wear tie-dye, don't drive a van (lol j/k) and I'm actually a pretty staunch right-wing conservative who detests The Beatles (had to throw that in there, give me the Stones any day). Still, I'm pretty open-minded and can get along with most folks, and I found myself falling in love with Wanee. My only regret is that I didn't discover it sooner.

So, how about y'all?

Last edited by GreenGrassHighTides on Sat Mar 21, 2009 7:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Mar 20, 2009 11:59 pm Profile
Wanee Master

Hiya GGHT,

My name is Bill.
I live in Albany NY, used to live in Orlando
Male, 44
Wanee's 2005,2006,2007 missed last years because of the move up here
I am a professional Painter by trade
Not a musician but a fanatic about music
Bands lets see I like alot of them -
The Allman Brothers, Derek Trucks Band, Gov't Mule, Susan Tedeschi, Oteil and the Peacemakers, Devon Allman's Honeytribe, Stevie Ray Vaughan, Robert Randolph and the Family Band, Frank Marino and Mohogany Rush, Rush, April Wine, Van Morrison, Ronnie Montrose, Rik Emmett, Triumph, Ritchie Blackmore, Deep Purple, Dave Meniketti, Y & T, Kix, Pat Travers, Alan Parsons, Pink Floyd, Any Southern Rock, Paul Rodgers, Bad Company, Blues Traveler, The Beatles, Wings, The Rolling Stones, John Butler Trio, Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, North Mississippi Allstars, The Who, Supertramp, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Van Zant, Gary Moore.
Gov't Mule played there in 04 and I missed it saw it traveling back from Talledaga so I kept going to the Suwanee website and saw the Waneefest listed with ABB 2 nights in a row so I had to go seeing it was only 3 hours away. I'll be there this year, I'm flying to Tampa where a friend is picking me up. I think I know where you are talking about camping, the hard thing is getting by the guys checking the wristbands and stickers on the cars. I had a W/E site #263 just past the back entrance for the buses to the stage.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nm039Hw45aw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_FCQwv82 ... r_embedded

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NBo_POKv21w

Last edited by Dartdog82 on Tue Mar 31, 2009 4:31 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Sat Mar 21, 2009 12:04 am Profile WWW
Wanee Master

HMM, ran out of room, but what I was saying is, we are getting there early Friday morning, just primative camping this year. Is this what you did last year? If so, had did you get around the people checking stickers on cars or were you in a primative site?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nm039Hw45aw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_FCQwv82 ... r_embedded

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NBo_POKv21w

Last edited by Dartdog82 on Tue Mar 31, 2009 5:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Mar 21, 2009 12:58 am Profile WWW
Wanee Mushroom

Dartdog- I just had primitive camping last year. it was the first time I had ever been there and I was going alone, so I didn't want to go all out, just figured I'd set up a tent somewhere. Got there around 3:00PM Thursday (like I hope to this year). There was barely a line of vehicles at the entrance, I sat for about five minutes max waiting for the folks at the gate. Just made my way in and didn't know where I was going or how far back the place went, so I just pulled over to the right and set up camp...as luck would have it it was right behind the stage and very close to the electric jam, turned out to be just right...plus, it's close to the front of the place so when you need to go into town for anything it's pretty easy getting in and out.

Sat Mar 21, 2009 7:47 am Profile
Wanee Lover

name: Pete

I live in Sharpsburg, Ga. and have been a Delta Air Lines mechanic for twenty years. I've been married for nine years to Cindy and have two little girls. Lane is three and Charlotte is four.

This will be my third year at Wanee

When I was young I loved the Jackson Five. Then I heard Gordon Lightfoot's Sundown and really dug him for a few years(still do). In high school I was really into Hendrix. When I went to college things took a big turn. I got heavily into Gentle Giant. I picked up the guitar and became a technical guitar freak. All I listened to during that period was John McLaughlin, Larry Coryell, and Al Dimeola. At this point I was turned onto the Dead and didn't like them at all. I thought the music was slow, monotenous, and lethargic and could not see how anyone could get into this band's almost religious like following.

A few years after graduating from college I went to my first Dead concert(and everything that comes with it) and had the time of my life. I've been hooked ever since. I'm also a big Captain Beyond fan. Even though they don't have much music out I think they're one of the great unknown rock bands of all time.

Even though I like the Allman Bros. but am not a huge fan. I am going to Wanee to get that hippie vibe that I enjoyed going to the Dead shows.

Sat Mar 21, 2009 8:04 am Profile
Wanee Lover

Mike
Live in Spring Hill Florida, which is about halfway between Tampa and Wanee. 49 years old and saw mw first Allman Bros concert in the mid 70's ( cant remember exactly ), Marshall Tucker played with them. I have been going to see the Bros in all of the different lineups and solo careers ever since. I recently started playing guitar, about 40 years to late, but what the hell, better late than never! Love all of the "southern rock" bands and all of the classic music we all grew up on from Allmans to Zappa. Just no rap, disco or hip hop please, and I prefer the vocalist to sing, not screem! we used to go see Hot Tuna play all night marathon concerts at a place called the "Suffolk Forum" up north where I grew up. It brings back alot of memories hearing about the Beacon Theatre run going on as I went to MANY concerts there in the 70's and 80's Allmans, Skynryrd, and of course Zappas annual Halloween shows. This will be my first Wanee!
See Y'all There!!!!!

Sat Mar 21, 2009 9:06 am Profile
Wanee Lover

Hey All,Names Kevin
I live in Jax Fl I am 46 and I am also a painter by trade.
I have been to all the Wanee's so far. 1st one we drove out on sat to basicly to catch the Mule and the Bros,came home that night.2nd one we had an rv and stayed the whole weekend and had a blast.3rd one had a hotel nearby that came in handy sat night when the rains came.Last year we just came to get are MULE on and left on fri night.This year we are back in an rv and are coming in on thursday and staying for the duration,can't wait!!
I love the Mule and will travel many miles to see them.All the others are just a bonus.I do love them Drive By Truckers too and have been none to travel many miles to see them also.
I belong to the mule army wich is a great site for all things mule,heres the add http://mulearmy.proboards107.com/ Hope to see ya'll there,peace kevin

http://mulearmy.proboards.com/index.cgi?

Sat Mar 21, 2009 1:04 pm Profile
Wanee Master

Hi! Here's me.

Name: Andie - Age? Shame on you for asking! I'm above 35, less than 41. I'm a PharmD/Biochemist, but not too much of an egghead.
Where From: Originally Massachusetts, Now I live between there and Florida. Currently I'm in Florida on the east coast and will be driving up from here. I've been to 3 past Wanees, but have never stayed on site before. This will be my first year camping on site, so if you see me dancing at 2am, say hello!
Music? I play the harp (not the harmonica), guitar and several stringed things. I'm thinking about bringing a mandolin to Wanee this year. My mom was a concert pianist and my dad loved Motown so I got the best of all worlds I think. My first concert was Kiss (makeup on) and I've been a fan of the Grateful Dead since grade school - went to my first festival at age 14 and I got hooked on the scene! So many people from all walks of live there to listen to music. It was inspiring to me. Seeing Little Feat on the bill is what tipped the scale to make me stay overnight this year. A great band and so many of the fans are like family to me. My other favorite groups include: The Allmans, Gov't Mule, Ratdog, George Clinton, Chrissie Hynde, Thornetta Davis (she should be at Wanee!), The Stones, The Who and a variety of Celtic and African bands that don't get any radio play. Wanee is one of my favorite fests because of the variety of music. It's great to see bands you know and love, but there is also something new to hear or a new spin on tunes you thought you knew. I used to think that Wanee was a great SMALL festival, but the secret is out now. I don't think it will stay small much longer. I look forward to dancing, laughing a lot, seeing old friends and making many new ones. It's a great event and I'm happy to be a part of it.

Sat Mar 21, 2009 1:06 pm Profile
Wanee Veteran

First name? Walter
Where from?: Tallahassee
Male/Female?: formerly a studly male (ok, never, maybe for about 15 minutes in 1978), I'm an old fart now. "Hey you little bastard, get off of my lawn!" (I'm practicing!) And don't make me shake my cane at you!

Been to Wanee before?: twice, 2006 & 2007. Missed last year because of a Johnny Winter show I was involved in.
What do you do for a living?: "Technical Support Analyst" @ FSU which is fancy corporate speak for a computer janitor. I plug things in, I clean up messes and I generally fix things. I only get to play on the servers a little bit.

Play any instruments?: I wish, I tried, now I record. I'll be one of the geeks with the tall mic stands.

Favorite bands/artists?: Blues! and stuff that wished it was the blues. Actually I like a lot of music, from classical to metal, from jazz to some country, from punk to bluegrass, but mostly I like the blues.

Finally, what is it about music that brought you here?:
I saw the ABB way, way back, when Duane was still alive, before the first album came out. I saw them again in 1976 and it wasn't a good show, everybody has an off night. A friend got me to go to Wanee 2006 by giving me a ticket. Now I'm back in the fold!

Sat Mar 21, 2009 2:03 pm Profile
 [ 405 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 41  Next