Last visit was: Fri Dec 19, 2014 11:40 pm It is currently Fri Dec 19, 2014 11:40 pm

[ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Don't believe the hype! 
Wanee Peach

Post Don't believe the hype!
Hey now everyone,

I know this forum is full of advice for 1st-timers, but I have to drop my $.02 on this one since there's finally an official forum for this killer festival.

I've been going to shows @ Swanee for at least 10 years and have been at Wanee all 4 years. After the first few shows and most assuredly after Wanee 2005, I knew that the b.s. I'd been hearing for years about this place being a trap for loading up the local jail with kindhearted hippies was just that, total B.S.!! Never run into any problems but I can also say that I've never gotten stupid there either.

I can tell any 1st-timers that you will have an amazing time for sure. 2005 was the best year by far. The park was half empty compared to subsequent years, but the people there rocked it like no year after. Definitely get there on Thursday to see the Rads but they'll also be playing on Friday for those who don't make it. Can't wait. It's gonna be HOT as hell this year. Get ready for it!

Wed Apr 01, 2009 10:15 pm Profile
Wanee Lover

Post Re: Don't believe the hype!
nice tip PB,
but you DO have to realize there will be a "stupid" human act somewhere in the mix....that apple will always seem to fall somewhere....
respect........for your fellow festivarians,,hippie and non hippie,,
will see you thru.....i've never seen a problem either...but there are some "law~men" walking and riding the area,,some visible,some not.

DON'T TAKE CANDY FROM STRANGERS

be safe and have a bIg time....Waneeeeeeeeeee

Wed Apr 01, 2009 11:25 pm Profile
Wanee Mushroom

Very true. I hope any SOSMP virgins don't get from this forum that the gestapo is going to be raiding campsites. I saw a guy at springfest one year standing naked in the middle of the street screaming "I'm naked and on LSD". Thanks for removing any shadow of a doubt there. He was soon in the back of a police cruiser. Tone it down a bit from that, and you have nothing to worry about.

If you are just having a good time at your campsite, you don't have to worry about "the man" coming up and hassling you.

Thu Apr 02, 2009 10:58 am Profile
Wanee Fan

not only are you beer police, you run the whole festival?

Thu Apr 02, 2009 11:00 am Profile
Wanee Mushroom

No, not much of a shutterbug. Not sure what I had pumping through my veins at the time, but I definitely was not sober (such a condition would be a shame). The memory, though fuzzy, will last with me forever.

Thu Apr 02, 2009 11:12 am Profile
Wanee Fan

Quote:
This girl came into my camp asked me if the "black dog runs at night", I nodded and then she touched her nose with a secret signal and WHAM out came a swat team who had been surveiling my camp site all weekend with night vision goggles. I spent the next two years on a chain gang where I was forced to eat 50 eggs. I plan to come back this year and see if my car is there though when I get out.

You mean THAT story that circulates every year ??? :P

There is a police presence, they do drive around the fields where they occasionally park and enjoy the sunshine, and they do mingle around the mainstage looking for people sparking...I go here all the time and this activity is heighted substantially at Wanee...its not a free-for-all. But it is by far the best venue and best festival anywhere.

Having cracked that joke, I do recall Autzen Stadium dead shows, where when I first went I was shocked when I looked up and on the roof of the pressbox there really was a huge like DEA or federal looking team of guys with binoculars, telescopes taking in the whole scene. They weren't doing anything...just watching. Was kinda bizzare.

Thu Apr 02, 2009 5:07 pm Profile
Wanee Lover

Location: SWFLwhere Gregg,Matt,Dickey and several others lived and still live!
:) This is funny to me...I thought I had seen it all, my daughter who was a frequent player at "Livestock". said I am in for a surprise!!(Wanee) At the Xmas Jam, this past Dec., I had never seen so many people all get along..it amazed me 8-) I was in the bathroom and was washing my hands and this young (in her 20's) girl was looking at me...as I turned around she said "You are a really beautiful lady"...I thought well she was a little buzzed she kept on and saying she could just tell that I was a beautiful person...meanwhile I was brushing my hair, touching up my chapstick... ;) she grabbed me and clung to me saying she wanted to give me a hug and wished that I have a very Merry Christmas..well I said your a pretty lady too...Thank You and Have a wonderful Holiday as well..went to go have a cig, and this really hot guy (young enough to be my son) opens the door for me and then I was getting in line to buy a drink and he starts talking to me telling me about how he woke up in the closet of his room at the hotel & didn't know how he ended up there,we laughed.. then I ordered my drink and was handing the money to the bartender & he put his hand over mine and said I have this one..just a real nice guy..where ws may daughter she needed to meet him! So when I ws telling my daughter and nephew about the girl in the bathroom ...they started :lol: & told me she ws on roofies? I just looked at them perplexed..I jst thought that all the people were really nice & friendly :D That was my first Xmas jam I will never forget the marathon 3 nights!!!! It is right up there with the FLOYD & STONES concerts that I have been to!!

Thu Apr 02, 2009 10:17 pm Profile
Wanee Veteran

Muleldy1 wrote:
So when I ws telling my daughter and nephew about the girl in the bathroom ...they started :lol: & told me she ws on roofies? I just looked at them perplexed..I jst thought that all the people were really nice & friendly :D

Probably not roofies, probably Ecstasy. Roofies are strong downs and tend to turn people into puddles. They are also known as a date-rape drug because women often don't remember what happened while they were on them. Ex on the other hand tends to make some people love EVERYBODY!

Thu Apr 02, 2009 11:08 pm Profile
Wanee Lover

Muleldy1,
i too was at Warrens Christmas Jam,,,,that was some great vibe going thru that place !!..and J Winter bringing it on..damn..
...and yes, there were very friendly people all around...
many stories there too....

Thu Apr 02, 2009 11:13 pm Profile
Wanee Lover

Location: SWFLwhere Gregg,Matt,Dickey and several others lived and still live!
Well been to MANY concerts over my lifetime and if you have not been to the Xmas Jam may I highly recommend it! I went thru alot of BS (car trouble the day before we left etc...)to get there but my daughter used to be married to a pilot...she was doing some low flying!!! We made it to the Orange Peel a few sets before MULE !!! I could not believe it!! Then she was on the other side of the room taking pics or something and said "Didn't you see Matt?" I said no she said he was standing right next to you?? I guess I was kinda tired , Plus my vision is not the greatest anymore or something maybe since it has been (he says 20 some yrs)like 16yrs or so since we had seen each other we (plus I am not a size 4 anymore!! :evil: :oops: ) did not say hey then...but she ran around to the back door after they played and told him who she was (she was a kid when he saw her last!)and told him that I was there we got to chat for a brief time and we will hopefully see them again at Wanee!!!??? Anyhow xmas jam was probably one of the best music events I have EVER been to!! We will see if Wanee can top it???

Sat Apr 04, 2009 6:44 pm Profile
 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next