Last visit was: Thu Oct 30, 2014 7:41 pm It is currently Thu Oct 30, 2014 7:41 pm

[ 146 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next
 Funny/Odd Past show experiences 
Wanee Veteran

Post Re: Funny/Odd Past show experiences
BUMP

For the awesome stories in here

Thu Apr 05, 2012 10:22 am Profile
Wanee Veteran

aBlurOfGreen wrote:
Mine was Wanee 2010. It was wednesday at the kick off party at the barn stage, i was with my two friends and was jamming along to the music. i started feeling a little faint and seeing dark patches everywhere. Before I could move and sit down I faceplanted straight down. My friends said I fell like a friggin' tree. dirt all over my face and a good size bruise. The best part was this awesome hippy chic in front of me that gave me her water and then told me ITS ONLY WEDNESDAY! gotta make it through the weekend. My buddies still hound me about it and I'm sure I'll hear that story a dozen more time at Wanee 2012.

Yaknow, I have become convinced that sometimes there are pockets where all the oxygen gets sucked away, and you don't know it until it's too late...

I was telling a friend of mine about being at a DSO show recently [@Revolution in FtL, for those that know the venue], and I was on the left, leaning on the rail. This place has a sunken dance floor, and I'm looking over the people. And this dude just crumples to the floor right below me. Everyone gives him a hand, water is given, and he was okay. I was wondering how this had happened, cuz I was watching the people below, and this guy didn't seem like he was overserved or anything... so my friend who I'm telling this story to says, I PASSED OUT IN THAT EXACT SAME SPOT AT A SHOW LAST WEEK!!! :shock:

So yeah; beware the left side lower floor, behind the stairs, at Revolution :?

Here's a SOSMP moment I enjoyed at MagFest: A video of the Hopryland Bus cruising the Donna & Jim show [I am in the shot, somewhere] ... the look on Lauderdale's face was priceless :D
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=90ddyU2enu4

Thanks to all for the cool / scary / fun stories!

Thu Apr 05, 2012 11:24 am Profile
Wanee Veteran

Gasparilla Story:

A few years back I ended up on a float for the Gasparilla Parade in Tampa. After waking and baking and drinking from about 8 in the morning til 630 or so my friends and I got lost from one another in downtown Tampa. I wandered around for what seemed like hours until I ran into a guy that I know (who happened to be a cop) I explained my situation and told him that I had about $5 on me which wasn't enough for me to catch a cab to my place, I didnt have any credit cards, cell phone or anything else. Anyway, I asked him if he could help me get to a friends house (our established meeting place) because I was trashed

After little hesitation he loads me up in his police car and takes me to my girlfriends house. I was so happy when I got there and saw her car thinking that she would be home.

NEGATIVE

I woke up the next morning wrapped in a sheet laying in my friends yard to her screaming and shaking me (cause she thought I was dead)!

So after the safety meeting of the morning to clear our heads and figure out what the hell happened to the rest of our friends we determined that apparently I took the sheet off of her neighbors clothes line. The rest of our friends stumbled to my girlfriends house throughout the rest of the day. All of them with equally interesting stories.
:D

Gotta Love Gasparilla

Thu Apr 05, 2012 1:02 pm Profile
Wanee Veteran

Can't let this die

Bump

Wed Apr 11, 2012 11:25 am Profile
Wanee Wizard

beach bob wrote:
aBlurOfGreen wrote:
Mine was Wanee 2010. It was wednesday at the kick off party at the barn stage, i was with my two friends and was jamming along to the music. i started feeling a little faint and seeing dark patches everywhere. Before I could move and sit down I faceplanted straight down. My friends said I fell like a friggin' tree. dirt all over my face and a good size bruise. The best part was this awesome hippy chic in front of me that gave me her water and then told me ITS ONLY WEDNESDAY! gotta make it through the weekend. My buddies still hound me about it and I'm sure I'll hear that story a dozen more time at Wanee 2012.

Yaknow, I have become convinced that sometimes there are pockets where all the oxygen gets sucked away, and you don't know it until it's too late...

I was telling a friend of mine about being at a DSO show recently [@Revolution in FtL, for those that know the venue], and I was on the left, leaning on the rail. This place has a sunken dance floor, and I'm looking over the people. And this dude just crumples to the floor right below me. Everyone gives him a hand, water is given, and he was okay. I was wondering how this had happened, cuz I was watching the people below, and this guy didn't seem like he was overserved or anything... so my friend who I'm telling this story to says, I PASSED OUT IN THAT EXACT SAME SPOT AT A SHOW LAST WEEK!!! :shock:

So yeah; beware the left side lower floor, behind the stairs, at Revolution :?

I'm not a fan of this venue. It's so crowded. The 2 times I've been there, I've wanted to pass out too. I'm glad you're ok.

Wed Apr 11, 2012 11:33 am Profile WWW
Wanee Veteran

libarchiver wrote:
I'm not a fan of this venue. It's so crowded. The 2 times I've been there, I've wanted to pass out too. I'm glad you're ok.

I am indeed okay, thanks for the kind thought. The crowd isn't too bad at Revolution if you go to see relatively unpopular bands :P

Anyhoo, all we have in SoFla is lousy venues. Except perhaps for the Bamboo Room, but that place has its own special issues.

As my friend says: Embrace The Suck :lol:

Wed Apr 11, 2012 11:58 am Profile
Wanee Wizard

beach bob wrote:
libarchiver wrote:

I am indeed okay, thanks for the kind thought. The crowd isn't too bad at Revolution if you go to see relatively unpopular bands :P

Anyhoo, all we have in SoFla is lousy venues. Except perhaps for the Bamboo Room, but that place has its own special issues.

As my friend says: Embrace The Suck :lol:

Culture Room is at least better than Revolution. :D

Wed Apr 11, 2012 1:05 pm Profile WWW
Wanee Master

I wanted to resurrect this thread. If I've told this story before, stop me...

I became a Tommy Bolin fan in 1970 (freshman year of college), working at the radio station, listening to the first incredible LP by Zephyr. I got to meet Tommy and Candy Givens (lead singer) after a gig at the Electric Factory in 1970. Later, I became a big fan of his "Teaser" LP (now revamped by Warren et al.) and "Private Eyes" and his extraordinary work on Billy Cobham's "Spectrum" LP.

I am also a huge Jeff Beck fan and had seen the Jeff Beck Group "Rough and Ready" band) twice, so I was excited to see that Beck, with Jan Hammer, was coming to Tampa touring on "Blow by Blow" with Tommy Bolin opening. They played Miami the night before.

That was December 4th, 1976. He ODed that night in Miami. So I was in my car, listening to the good AM rock station, and they announced his death. DAMN. Well, I will still dig seeing Jeff Beck, but DAMN.

When I got the (now-defunkt) Curtis Hixon Hall, there was a piece of notebook paper with this message scrawled on it, taped to the glass door:

TOMMY BOLIN WILL NOT APPEAR TONIGHT.

Boy, I wish I had that sign. All I could think was, "Well, at this point, I hope not!" And not a word was said about it all night.

Pretty freaky. (And I know I used the other spelling, but I LOVE Defunkt!)

"Remember: music is a religion. You have to pray every day."
-- Jose' Luis "Cheo" Pardo, Los Amigos Invisibles

Mon May 07, 2012 10:07 pm Profile
Wanee Veteran

BUMP...

This is too good to die

Mon Jan 28, 2013 3:47 pm Profile
Wanee Lover

Quote:
When I got the (now-defunkt) Curtis Hixon Hall, there was a piece of notebook paper with this message scrawled on it, taped to the glass door:

i remember that. i was there too.

Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:13 pm Profile
 [ 146 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next