Last visit was: Tue Sep 30, 2014 3:58 pm It is currently Tue Sep 30, 2014 3:58 pm

[ 32 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Swede with expectations :) 
Wanee Fan

Post Swede with expectations :)
Hello,

I thought... ...what would be more helpful when planning my first visit to US than the forum honred to the very reason I get there? Not just me, I emptied my poker account and decided to use som of my savings. It's time to give something nice to my two daughters of 15 and 17.

As a ABB fan (in fact our family name is Kallman and as we sometimes play a little together we've formed the Kallman Sisters Band :)) since the 70ties I've found the Hittin the Note site and newsletter some years ago. The dream of visiting this quite special festival was there from the beginning. And its time. First I talked vague about it, then I mentioned it as a possibility to my daughters and tonight I was in the right mood... ...booked the flight and payed for it. Time to book the tickets as well.

Anyhow... ...I'm a little tired of all this keyboard tapping (Internet flight booking you know) and will not write that much more for now. Just wanted to send a message to this forum. I will problably have a couple of questions and need for good advice after hand... My guess is that people here might be helpful. Glad to answer any quest myself - have any kind of talk.

Borned 55, play guitar and music, work, have an old house in the south of Sweden, divorced, two daughters, a Jack Russel named Crazy Chester and a lot more.

Waitin for response...

My best, Pcs
Micke

Fri Apr 03, 2009 6:32 pm Profile
Wanee Master

Post Re: Swede with expectations :)
Welcome Micke, to the best festival around. You will love it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nm039Hw45aw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_FCQwv82 ... r_embedded

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NBo_POKv21w

Fri Apr 03, 2009 8:03 pm Profile WWW
Wanee Veteran

micke, hey there, are you from sweden? thats cool, comming to the US for some music. are you going anywhere else when in the states? Im sure your gonna have a great time. do you like the wailers at all? what bands other then ABB you gonna check out?
This is one festy you dont wanna miss

Fri Apr 03, 2009 8:17 pm Profile
Wanee Fan

You are absolutely going to have the most amazing time.

Fri Apr 03, 2009 8:53 pm Profile
Wanee Fan

Hello and thanks for you support ;)

Some answers then... ...my plans are rather loose so far but at least I know we'll arrive to Orlando in the evening the 1st of June and board a returning plan 12 days later. In between more than the festival? Just loose plans. Will check out the alternatives and form some kind of schedule of how to spend the other days. I've allways thought of my first US trip as one long enough to visit all over the continent but now we will be more focused on some places. My first thought was perhaps get to the quite near New Orleans but someone might convice me otherwise? Don't have lots of money to spend so we will try to keep the travelling and living cost at medium at most :). Renting car or bus or something else I don't know.

I have confidence in the festival. Dont know about all the bands but ABB, Dereks band with Susan and Little Feat (have seen them a couple of times in Sweden). Havent heard much of this issue of Wailers but naturally there are some nive Marley recs on the shell...

Hope to hear more from you all...

Sat Apr 04, 2009 2:07 am Profile
Wanee Master

Micke, are you planning on camping? I know coming by plane you won't have alot camping gear. If not get a hotel room soon most of the closer hotels sell out quick and with years line up I'm sure most are sold out allready. The closest city is Lake City Fl. it's about 25 miles away but it has plenty of hotels.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nm039Hw45aw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_FCQwv82 ... r_embedded

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NBo_POKv21w

Sat Apr 04, 2009 7:18 am Profile WWW
Wanee Pro

Wow! We're going global. Very cool! Since you're flying into Orlando, you could easily spend a few days there. It's theme park heaven and lots to do there. New Orleans is a nice place to visit. Been there a few times, but not since the hurricane hit. But, from what I hear, the tourist areas like the French Quarter are intact and alive as ever. There are lots of nice beaches in Florida, if that's your thing. I am a life long resident of Clearwater, on the gulf coast, near Tampa. We have some of the nicest beaches in the world. This will be my first time to this festival, too, so others here might be better at answering specific questions about it, but I'd be happy to answer any questions you might have about the great state of Florida and the Tampa and Orlando areas.

Sat Apr 04, 2009 12:51 pm Profile
Wanee Lover

Location: SWFLwhere Gregg,Matt,Dickey and several others lived and still live!
That's really great! Hope to meet you at my first Wanee too! Live on the West coast of FL SRQ if you need any info about this area..in fact Gregg Allman lived her for years as did Matt Abts(GOV MULE) Dickey Bett's still does and tons of other former ABB members! As well as othter bands too! Can hardly wait and my GGGrandmother was from Stolkhom...I remember looking at her as a young kid trying to figure out what she was saying..she did not speak much English! :lol: You will have a great time ...am sure of this!Peace and safe travels :D:D

Sat Apr 04, 2009 1:38 pm Profile
Wanee Fan

Many thanks so far. In a little jurry but I will try to respond to some of your quests:

Dartdog: Yes, I planned to bring out light weight super tent and our sleeping bags even if it crossed my mind it might be a little more to carry. It seems to me that livin on the site it self would be worth it. But thanks anyway for the tips about the hotels. I even thought of bringing a gutiar as I heard about the visitors jam sessions. Sounds great. Anyone who could tell me a little about that, how it works and so...?

Owllover: Thanks a lot and it would be great to meet you. Gov't Mule is great (forgot to mention them) and as I did some work today I actually listned to some mix mp3s and their heavy version of Mother Earth.

kujobie: I just might to ask about visiting Florida later on, when I know what to ask about. My first and only concern so far is that we arrive at Orlando in the evening and I have to solve the problem of having somewhere to go. So some tip of decent hotels that doesnt dig a deep hole in the wallet would be great. And the quest of renting a car, I've heard that it quite cheap in the US, anyhow the gas is cheap from a swedes point of view. We pay about $1.60 per litre over here... A car might make our trip a little more easy as well, as we can bring our stuff and move on inspiration. Have also thought about bus travelling...

Anyhow, great to get this positive response. We really are looking forward to this trip... ...REALLY!

During writing this Muleldys post arrived. Thanks a lot. Hope to meet you too and perhaps get more Florida info. If you just remeber I can help you out with everythin you grandgrandmother told you ;).

Sat Apr 04, 2009 1:55 pm Profile
Wanee Pro

Worry not. I read recently that there are more hotel rooms in Orlando than any city in the world. They are plentiful and cheap. You will not have a problem finding a place to stay. Gas is cheap compared to Europe. We are currently paying about $2 a gallon which is about 3.5 litres, so no problem there.

Sat Apr 04, 2009 4:09 pm Profile
 [ 32 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next