Last visit was: Mon Dec 22, 2014 8:49 pm It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 8:49 pm

[ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Swede with expectations :) 
Wanee Veteran

Post Re: Swede with expectations :)
Micke wrote:
Hello and thanks for you support ;)

Some answers then... ...my plans are rather loose so far but at least I know we'll arrive to Orlando in the evening the 1st of June and board a returning plan 12 days later. In between more than the festival? Just loose plans.

Too bad you aren't staying longer. June 20 @ the Bradfordville Blues Club in Tallahassee, FL - Geoff Achison with Kofi, Yonrico and Charlie Wooten on bass. That would be one big memory to take back with you! A great band in a unique juke joint that you wont soon forget!

Sun Apr 05, 2009 4:46 pm Profile
Wanee Fan

Hello Marky and thanks,

The van idea wasn't bad at all. I have to check the prices for that one. If it's possible to sleep in the van we might save some on that. I guess that it's ok to park a van in the festival area then? I read "primitve camping" was included and therefore I thought tents where allowed only. I'll check this out.

And thanks a lot as well for the tips of what areas to avoid in Orlando (better don't ask why :) ). So what is "theme park"? I've already found out there's a lot of attractions in Orlando with the Sea world and other things. Is theme parking areas to camp nearby those facilities?

Perhaps I misunderstood it all but by asking dumb quest you very often getting somewhere ;).

Mon Apr 06, 2009 10:40 am Profile
Wanee Lover

Welcome to the USA. Now lock up your valuables! J/K Orlando and Suwanee are pretty safe.

Check out this site for info forums about Orlando. I think Disney has camping btw.

http://www.wdwinfo.com/chat.htm

http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/clickToGive/home.faces?siteId=3

Mon Apr 06, 2009 2:44 pm Profile
Wanee Master

Disney has Fort Wilderness Campground!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nm039Hw45aw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_FCQwv82 ... r_embedded

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NBo_POKv21w

Mon Apr 06, 2009 3:14 pm Profile WWW
Wanee Mushroom

Micke,

Hope you have a good time in the U.S. Never visited the Scandinavian Peninsula, but plan to someday as my ancestry on my father's side is Swedish.

I would definitely recommend renting a vehicle as the mass transportation in this country is very inaccessible and of poor quality. You might save some money, but you will probably wish you had your own car.

If you have camping gear and like the outdoors, I would suggest visiting some of the natural springs in the area. My personal favorite would be gennie springs, which is only about a 1 hour drive from the music festival. You can cannoe, camp, tube, scuba, or whatever suits your fancy. Website: http://www.ginniespringsoutdoors.com/

If you do head west toward New Orleans, I would definitely check out one of the beautiful beaches on the miracle coast. The city I am most familiar with is Destin, FL. (Perhaps you saw the movie "Truman Show" with Jim Carey, it was filmed near here).

Whatever you end up doing, I'm sure you will have a good time.

Mon Apr 06, 2009 3:24 pm Profile
Wanee Veteran

The best beaches start at St. George Island near Apalachicola and go west until Gulf Shores, AL ... maybe even to Biloxi, MS.

Mon Apr 06, 2009 4:18 pm Profile
Wanee Lover

Location: SWFLwhere Gregg,Matt,Dickey and several others lived and still live!
I used to stay at "Fort Wilderness", @Disney, they had these like mobile homes,that sleep up to like eight people,they have full kitchens, that have all the pots and pans plates etc...even have dishwashers,refrigerators & outside Grills right outside your door etc..they were pretty decent and they have housekeeping service that supply the clean linens, towels, shampoos,soap etc..they have an evening campfire,and other entertainment,however we usually were too tired from the Disney park,to go to those but know people that have attended them and it is very family friendly and a lot of fun! They also have a (free)tram service that will take you riight to the monorails that go to EPCOT & Disney gates. I was told recently that they no longer have the "Cabins" as they called them? However I believe that you can still camp there? If interested let me know I will pursue the search further!Or I would imagine that their website would give more up to date details etc...Hope ya find what your looking for!! Peace

Tue Apr 07, 2009 12:48 am Profile
Wanee Fan

Thanks all of you for all valuable tips so far. It's not my intention to develop some kind of Us-tourist Q&A out of this forum but for us, visiting for the first time it's most helpful to get grip of things that might be most useful when it's time to make your choices. Hope you don't mind. I really appreciate...

Nice tips abour Orlando events, camps, beaches and site map. Some plans are forming in my mind. We will rent a car/van at the Orlando Airport so we're in gear directly. We will stay for a couple of days to visit some of the attractions there, we will go for the festival in time to the thursday opening, we will then problably follow the coast line and pay the good old NO a visit. Then travel back perhaps in an alternative way tp be in Orlando the 12th.

Might ask a bitlater on about what kind of motels to choose, how camping in US is in general, what weather conditions to expect and a bit more if... ...you dont mind me using this forum to do so.

Peace all! Cant wait to be a part of the festival and perhaps hear Mr. Allman tell us it aint his cross to bear ;).

Tue Apr 07, 2009 8:53 am Profile
Wanee Fan

Micke is naturally the common swedish short form of Michael and as far as "mick" it's pronouces like in Mickey but in stead of the ey-sound at the end it's more like the "e" in let's say "reputation". Quite simple uh? :)

Tue Apr 07, 2009 9:12 am Profile
Wanee Fan

Well, as far as herrings concerned...

Might be some slightly enlarged myth as herring as a main dish isn't that common. When it is it's a file coated with breadcrumbs, fried in a pan with butter and served with mashed potatoes. It looks nice but personally I couldn't stand the taste of it as a child and still can't.

A kind of herring I like though is the pickled one that is served as a starter every X-mas, Eastern and Midsummer eve (we really celebrate midsummer in Sweden ;) ). The traditional kind is in clear viengar/sugar/onion (I like) and there are variants in creamy sauces like mustard and other kinds (I like not). Most important... ...when eating this starter you allways pour up cold "snaps" (a kind of vodka) in small glasses and then we do sing "snapsvisor" (snaps hymns :) ) before swallowing the liq. This continues until just one man stands (no, kidding you with the last one ;) ). But a couple of snaps and the party is on, more or less family tradition wise.

And then, you have to mention, the is a kind that more or less just people from up north can stand: the sour herring. It is fermented herring protected in cans and if you open one it smells like someone has a bad stomach. But don't judge us by this, like I said it's only people up north (and some principals that moves south) who ever eats it. Probably with a lot of snaps as well.

So, now you're enlightned about herrings in Sweden and it feels good to pay you guys back ;). Otherwise we have quite an interantional kitchen i Sweden. There are some traditional (and well tasting) dishes but a lot of other influences. So let's see what the US South has to offer... Jambalaya and Chili (more from the west I guess) is the only ones I can think of spontanously.

Tue Apr 07, 2009 10:07 am Profile
 [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next