Last visit was: Thu Oct 30, 2014 8:15 am It is currently Thu Oct 30, 2014 8:15 am

[ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Question to Wanee vets about METAL \m/ 
Wanee Mushroom

Post Question to Wanee vets about METAL \m/
Here's the deal. I'm a metal-head, through and through. I enjoy all types of music (mostly anything that is guitar-focused). For the most part I enjoy metal/hard rock. I've been to a ton of metal shows and just went to Wanee last year on a whim because ABB is one of my favorite bands and I had also recently gotten into Gov't Mule.

The question is this: Do any of you think there could ever be a chance of a metal-band playing Wanee? I know Metallica did Bonnaroo (I think The Sword did as well). Surely there are other music festivals that include metal acts. Could thsi possibly ever happen at Wanee? If not Wanee, then perhaps some other time at Spirt of Suwanee Music Park? How would you folks feel about it?

I'm sure it would probably go over like a lead balloon, but I for one would love it. I'm sure the biggest problem would be with the metal-fans not really fitting in to the Wanee vibe, but perhaps that is an unfair brush to paint metal-fans with (I'm a good example, but I also may be the exception to the rule). If it indeed is all about the music, then there's a wealth of great music to be found in the metal/hard rock world. There are some flat-out great musicians out there (Zakk Wylde, Megadeth, Down, The Sword, Type O Negative, Clutch, Pelican, Dream Theater, Iced Earth).

I'm sure it would never happen and I don't really expect it to. I'm basically just curious about what you folks think about it in general. If nothing else, it might make for good conversation/debate!

Wed Apr 08, 2009 6:23 pm Profile
Wanee Lover

Post Re: Question to Wanee vets about METAL \m/
GGHT,
i too like all kinds of music,,mainly rock/folk/bluegrass/blues/zambi/
on and on....
I've seen Umphreys Mcgee many times and i can tell ya that they have been known to play a full set of metal at some of their shows....not that they do this all the time,but they can throw some rockin metal chops out,,so if you haven't seen them,i think they'll be a band you don't want to miss.

that said, i really do not want to see alot of metal at "Wanee",,,,maybe other shows at the park,but not Wanee...here again,for many reasons,,,,some stereotypical,some not.

i can go to other venues and take in metal,but something about the wanee vibe does not scream "metal"......we'll have some smokin guitars at wanee regardless.

this has been a Wavo opinion....thank you.

Wed Apr 08, 2009 7:16 pm Profile
Wanee Master

Mule has been known to play Zep, Floyd and Sabbath too!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nm039Hw45aw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_FCQwv82 ... r_embedded

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NBo_POKv21w

Wed Apr 08, 2009 7:46 pm Profile WWW
Wanee Veteran

Rose Hill Drive played one year. I don't know if you would consider them metal or not but they are pretty hard rocking.

Wed Apr 08, 2009 11:12 pm Profile
Wanee Master

I'm a metal fan also, but I don't think you will get any at Wanee.
Ozfest is my metalfest.
Also Van Morrison would be a great addittion!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nm039Hw45aw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_FCQwv82 ... r_embedded

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NBo_POKv21w

Thu Apr 09, 2009 12:04 am Profile WWW
Wanee Fan

Dartdog82 wrote:
I'm a metal fan also, but I don't think you will get any at Wanee.
Ozfest is my metalfest.
Also Van Morrison would be a great addittion!!!

Van WAS the man. I'd be pissed if he got added and nobody else. I saw him live when his latest cd came out. THE WORST CONCERT I'VE EVER SEEN. BY FAR. It was rushed yet very boring (I didn't think this was possible until then). Terrible song selection. Okay voice. Bad stage presence. Over-priced tickets. As far as metal goes - it's one of the main reasons bonnaroo sucks now. I probably sound like a asshole but everybody's got opinoins. I'm actually very nice. I would like to see John Butler trio, moe., or steve kimock added.

Thu Apr 09, 2009 10:10 am Profile
Wanee Fan

Wavo wrote:
GGHT,
i too like all kinds of music,,mainly rock/folk/bluegrass/blues/zambi/
on and on....
I've seen Umphreys Mcgee many times and i can tell ya that they have been known to play a full set of metal at some of their shows....not that they do this all the time,but they can throw some rockin metal chops out,,so if you haven't seen them,i think they'll be a band you don't want to miss.

that said, i really do not want to see alot of metal at "Wanee",,,,maybe other shows at the park,but not Wanee...here again,for many reasons,,,,some stereotypical,some not.

i can go to other venues and take in metal,but something about the wanee vibe does not scream "metal"......we'll have some smokin guitars at wanee regardless.

this has been a Wavo opinion....thank you.

Umphrey's played Bonarroo last year, too. Friend told me they threw down the hardest, rockin show before Metallica went on. Sort of like, "Hey, Metallica, you're at Bonaroo, bitch.!"

Wondering where they will place Umphrey's. They play incredible night shows (i.e. Langerado 08). Just saw them at Freebird the other week.

take it... Seek knowledge from those wiser...
and teach those who wish to learn from me~

Thu Apr 09, 2009 12:12 pm Profile
Wanee Veteran

I saw Umphreys last summer for the first time and they didn't do it for me. Felt like they were all over place. Like everytime I would start to catch a rythym they would go into something else and it just wasn't working for me. Maybe I didn't eat enough :shock: They are my friends favorite band so I decided to give them another try. Just saw them a few weeks ago and I have a whole new respect for them. They sounded great and I really enjoyed the show. Spectacular light show too! Looking forward to seeing them again.

Thu Apr 09, 2009 12:20 pm Profile
Wanee Fan

Umphreaks Unite!!

Thu Apr 09, 2009 12:38 pm Profile
Wanee Fan

Fairly new Umphreak myself... Haven't seen 'em yet, but am a fan. Just was turned on to them several months ago and their live stuff is amazing. Can't wait to see them.

I believe they'll be playing Friday, as they are playing Bama Jam on the 6th, according to their website.

Thu Apr 09, 2009 1:01 pm Profile
 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next