Last visit was: Wed Aug 20, 2014 12:34 pm It is currently Wed Aug 20, 2014 12:34 pm

[ 18 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Best Allman Brothers Show/Tour/Era??? 
Wanee Fan

Post Re: Best Allman Brothers Show/Tour/Era???
Yeah. Good story, Mike12. I think that a lot of Allman fans stick around for that same feeling.

I've always liked the music. BUT, first time I saw them I was hooked!

take it... Seek knowledge from those wiser...
and teach those who wish to learn from me~

Wed Apr 15, 2009 6:10 pm Profile
Wanee Fan

I have only seen this era. Ask that question about just about any band that is reaching the 30 or 40 year mark and its almost a rhetorical question.

But the amount of talent they have stacked up in this band NOW... it's not a completely crazy argument to have the opinion that this current era is it. Warren is an ubiquitous workhorse, and Derek is without a doubt in my mind THE guitar player of this day and age. Certainly they are one of the best touring bands today, and not because of sentimental reasons or packing crowds in to see a greatest hits show every night.

In 20 years, people will be saying "OH MY YOU SAW DEREK TRUCKS PLAY WITH THE ALLMANS??? That must have been tiiiiight!!!!".

Thu Apr 16, 2009 10:19 am Profile
Wanee Fan

More subjective than rhetorical.

I almost have to agree that today's Allman rival any era. Very few bands bands are as good (or even thought of) after 40 years as they were when they began.

Derek is incredible. Only 29 (turns 30 few days after Wanee) and is already deemed one of the best guitarist ever. In 20 years he will be able to control the weather with his guitar.

Would have to have a Mexican standoff between Derek and Warren vs. Duane and Dickey to decide the question.

take it... Seek knowledge from those wiser...
and teach those who wish to learn from me~

Thu Apr 16, 2009 12:13 pm Profile
Wanee Lover

While I am in NO way looking to put Derrick down,in my opinion right now he is one of the most talented guitarists around, and I think Warrens work ethic and talent speaks for itself, the future is unlimited for both of them. Anyone who saw The Bros with Dickey in his prime cant deny him his due. It was always amazing when he stepped up and let rip one of those clissic rifs we all love,it was all eyes on Dickey, his stage presence was bigger than life. I can still get goosebumps thinking about it!....Just sayin........ :mrgreen:

Fri Apr 17, 2009 8:06 am Profile
Wanee Lover

Location: SWFLwhere Gregg,Matt,Dickey and several others lived and still live!
Mike, I have to agree with you...the first time I saw Derek, here comes this kid with a guitar almost as tall as he was..I thought what can they be doing..to my surprise he about blew the roof off back then I think he was like 11/12yrs old..the whole place was :shock: ! And I have heard from a very close family member(of Gregg's) that Gregg, even gets the willies at times as it is like Duane coming through him..I saw this at the xmas jam too! I even got the chills!If you get the chance watch Gregg's expressions when Derek is doing his thing and maybe you will see what I am trying to say?? But there are SO many excellent guitar players that I find it very hard to Pick just one! Dickey was and still is incredible!!! Everyone has good days and bad...Now my dream would be to see all of the mentioned guitarists and Gary Moore throw in some EC & add a dash of Beck,BB & Albert King Muddy and lets see who else :?: ;) All I can say is those who have never seen them before WILL never be the same!!! You Will be hooked..I remember my cousin raving about the ABB up in Jersey & how popular they were..I kinda got used to them so the FAMOUS thing doesn't exist in my book anymore...but they are incredible Musicians and GREAT people too!! Am very lucky to have seen them then & NOW & GOD BLESS them ALL!! I hope they are still going strong 40yrs from now!!! Anxiously awaiting to hear the comments after you all see them!! :)

Sat Apr 18, 2009 2:58 am Profile
Wanee Lover

Muleldy,

Seems like we are on the same page, and could probably swap some great stories! :mrgreen: I think the most amazing thing about the Bros is that they have been able to adapt to all of the changes in their lives and changes in lineups and still not become stale like so many other bands who are just living off of the past. I still enjoy seeing them now as much as I did 30 years ago! They have the best of both worlds, the old- Gregg, Butch, Jaimoe and the new, Derrick and Warren. They are as relevant now as they were back in the 70's. Long live the ABB!!!!!
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
Mike

Sat Apr 18, 2009 8:32 am Profile
Wanee Lover

Location: SWFLwhere Gregg,Matt,Dickey and several others lived and still live!
Mike, I hope that we can share some of those stories! :D They like ALL musicians have had THEIR share of Ups and Downs that is for sure!! I know several of them...have had some really rough times! But they like you say,can keep on going! That is amazing to me :!: I enjoy them today as I did yesterday...they have only gotten better with age! What's that old saying my old piano teacher used to drill into me.."Practice Makes Perfect",that is true! (too bad I did not heed her advice :oops: ) I love to watch the people that have never seen them before get blown away :lol: The ABB will definately change people & yes THEY ARE addictive :D The MULE will kick your ASS! Can't wait to see what the Doobies and others will do...this will be my first time to see Doobies!!! And I pray that Warren & Grace do "Golddust Woman"...have never seen her either!! Peace and We will be talking about this adventure for sometime to come :!: :D

Sat Apr 18, 2009 9:42 am Profile
Wanee Lover

Yup Muleldy,

Its gonna be one we will all be talking about for many years, I hope we bump into each other there!

Mike

Sat Apr 18, 2009 10:00 am Profile
 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2