Last visit was: Wed Apr 16, 2014 9:02 pm It is currently Wed Apr 16, 2014 9:02 pm

[ 2 posts ] 
 I knew them when... 
Wanee Veteran

Post I knew them when...
So, as I am sitting here thinking about how I really hope I get in to the show tonight to see Derek....I started thinking about the first time I saw him play. I think he was 17 and playing at the little bar, next to the bar where I was working in Steamboat Springs. We used to run over all the time for shots! Anyway, we always thought that kid was amazing and just tore it up on that guitar. It's been cool to follow him over the years to see what an amazing musician he has become.

Keller Williams too - used to play every Monday night at the bar I worked. Lots of Mondays were dead in there late night. We used to go for our "smoke breaks" out back or in the coolers then go chill with Keller all night - our own private shows. Was blown away first time I ever saw him headline at a big venue.

Then some crazy band called String Cheese came along!! Used to hang out in their little tour bus and burn down during those "smoke breaks" at the bar. Good times.

Anyway....what about you guys...

Sat Apr 11, 2009 1:34 pm Profile
Wanee Veteran

Post Re: I knew them when...
First saw the ABB in 1970, at a small bar on Pensacola Beach. There were maybe 20 people in the audience. Duane was amazing!

First saw Derek Trucks when he was 12. His band at the time warmed up for Buddy Guy. Later he came out and played with Buddy who let him take his solo then showed him what "cuttin' heads" was all about.

First saw Gov't Mule at the 2006 Wanee Festival. That was also the first time I saw Dumpstaphunk. I last saw Dumpstaphunk less than a week ago and they smoked!

The first time I saw the Lee Boys was when we hired them for the 2002 Heritage Blues festival in Tallahassee. It was one of the first times they had played outside a church. I have a guitar signed by the whole band.

First saw Little Feat about the time they started calling themselves Little Feat again after being the Paul Barrere Band for a while (around 1986-88). I wish I could have seen them with Lowell but that never happened.

Sat Apr 11, 2009 4:31 pm Profile
 [ 2 posts ]