Last visit was: Fri Oct 24, 2014 10:49 pm It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 10:49 pm

[ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Open jam and party on Thursday/Friday/Saturday night... 
Wanee Veteran

Post Re: Open jam and party on Thursday/Friday/Saturday night...
It was a stage. They had a full sound system. We aren't talking about people jamming around their campsite. Since my friend has been running sound for several events at the Spirit of the Suwannee for many years now, I think I'll believe him. See: http://www.myspace.com/jb_ritter

Any yes, they can lock down your power if they think you are abusing it. They just put a cover over the whole set of outlets and lock it. Your option would be to leave, maybe or maybe not with a refund. Better read the fine print when you agree to camp there. Its not much different than the fine print for renting a hotel room. Just because you pay for use of the site doesn't mean you can do anything you want.

This is a concert in a campground, not a free for all. Do something illegal and you run the chance of being arrested. Break the campground rules and they can boot you out. How strongly they enforce the rules and laws is up to them, not us. That's reality.

Sun Apr 19, 2009 6:38 pm Profile
Wanee Veteran

yeah.. but they have the right to turn the music down... but not to refuse my morning coffee. : )

Sun Apr 19, 2009 7:28 pm Profile
Wanee Veteran

Veefinger wrote:
yeah.. but they have the right to turn the music down... but not to refuse my morning coffee. : )

That would be cruel and unusual punishment! :D We do have some rights!

Sun Apr 19, 2009 7:38 pm Profile
Wanee Lover

Location: SWFLwhere Gregg,Matt,Dickey and several others lived and still live!
;) OK people I called them today to see if I was still on a "LIST", for a cabin for the (handicaps in my group and I am handicapped too..but not as bad as them!)that Mister NOLONGERTHERE! supposedly had put my name on last yr??? Anyhow, they won't know yet untill like 2-3weeks before the event! :roll: Then I asked about the generators ...they have a section for those??? Then asked about the 11pm loud noise curfew and she said YES!!!! This is going to be very interesting... :lol: :lol: Still trying to find out a motel close JUST in case???Peace I also asked about golf carts you HAVE to be certified HANDICAPPED...which almost all in my group are...that sucks now that I think about that??LOL and forgot to ask about the insurance info ..jeezus I pay Allstate for over 6 vehicles ....I better BE IN GOOD HANDS :?: :lol: :lol: Nationwide was not on myside when I totalled my suburban!!!!THE SOBS gave me like 13k for a vehicle that costs over 30k when I got it new....NO AIRBAGS!!!! anyhow nuff of that sh!t!!!I'm going to be calling again in the am if anyone wants me to ask ???Let me know!

Mon Apr 20, 2009 12:11 am Profile
Wanee Pro

I still don't buy it. I mean, first of all, they're not gonna cut off the power without warning. If security comes around and says kill the music or we'll kill the power, what are you gonna do? You're not gonna let them padlock your electricity. And you're saying they are gonna shut down campfire jams at 11:00 when there are scheduled performances at midnight? I seriously doubt it. Yea, if you're running a stage set-up where you actually need a sound man, then maybe it's a little over the top. But I doubt if they'll be going site to site busting guys with 15 watt Peaveys and accoustics and harmonicas and bongos. I've never been to this festival, so I can't say for sure, but this just seems hard to believe.

Mon Apr 20, 2009 8:09 pm Profile
Wanee Lover

kujobie
this is just my experience, and i have not been all over the park to see how the others camp,,but where i've camped there have been all night parties and jams and drums....
never had amps around me there,,,not that i haven't heard them,,but it's been acoustic around my camp.
even camped next to a cool band from new york one year and we played until weee hours and were never bothered.

i'm sure they won't mind the jams we are talking here but i would imagine at some part of the night they would have something to say about amps being too loud if that was the case.

have no idea on the power grid since i've never had a need for power at the park,,,,but that damn June heat will make me wish i had it i'm sure.

we'll see what we can get away with i guess...

Mon Apr 20, 2009 10:49 pm Profile
Wanee Veteran

kujobie wrote:
I still don't buy it. I mean, first of all, they're not gonna cut off the power without warning. If security comes around and says kill the music or we'll kill the power, what are you gonna do? You're not gonna let them padlock your electricity. And you're saying they are gonna shut down campfire jams at 11:00 when there are scheduled performances at midnight? I seriously doubt it. Yea, if you're running a stage set-up where you actually need a sound man, then maybe it's a little over the top. But I doubt if they'll be going site to site busting guys with 15 watt Peaveys and accoustics and harmonicas and bongos. I've never been to this festival, so I can't say for sure, but this just seems hard to believe.

Of course they will warn you first. They don't want to run people off. They are walking the line between those who want to party all night and those who complain about too much noise. Remember, your rights end where the other person's rights begin. They also have to deal with people who live in the area. There are farms and homes near the campground. Sound carries through the woods!

I don't know if they will complain about small amps but then I had a Deluxe Reverb and that was some loud 22 watts. Basically, if you can keep it down where they don't warn you, nobody else will complain either. I do know they wont shut down acoustic guitars unless you are drawing complaints from other campers. We had Pedro from Dickey's band playing acoustic at the Hilton until 4 or 5 AM once with no complaints.

The shows that go past midnight are at the Mushroom Stage which is a natural amphitheater in a depression. Much of the sound gets caught by the sloping ground. Yes, you can still hear it some out in parts of the campground but its not loud. And its part of the program. People should know when and where that noise will be present. They can plan accordingly.

A jam in the campground is uncontrolled. You don't know when the next guy up is going to think they are the reincarnation of Jimi Hendrix and that the people who happen to be camping nearby have small children. If you could keep the sound in your campsite then nobody would complain, but sound just doesn't work like that!

There will be people at this festival from new-borns to 90. The demographics are heavily weighted to middle-age. After all, these are fans of a 40 year old band! Many people have health issues and need to be able to sleep. Show a little respect!

The last point is that there is probably a county sound ordinance. 11PM is a typical time for those, that's the time it comes into play here in Leon County. You can get permits from the county to run past that time but you better have a damn good reason! The official shows that are running past 11 PM probably have permits from the county, you don't.

Tue Apr 21, 2009 7:34 am Profile
Wanee Veteran

I think that if you are at the primitive camping area you are o.k. I mean the drum circle will go to like 5:30 - 6 a.m. and they won't shut it down.

I mean you can't be super loud but you can defo jam. There is a family camping area where there is quite camping. But if you are in the field its open season out there.

Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:55 am Profile
Wanee Veteran

Veefinger wrote:
I think that if you are at the primitive camping area you are o.k. I mean the drum circle will go to like 5:30 - 6 a.m. and they won't shut it down.

I mean you can't be super loud but you can defo jam. There is a family camping area where there is quite camping. But if you are in the field its open season out there.

Acoustic levels, sure. Plug in, turn up and they will shut you down. You have to remember that the people going around checking aren't experts with sound level meters. They are just security folks and to some of them any electric instrument may seem inappropriate no matter what level its being played at. But they are just using their ears and if they can't hear you they probably wont stop you cause they wont know you are there. Its not like they are searching camp sites for amps. I'm all for the jams, I'd just hate for somebody to bring a bunch of gear then get shut down when they try to play.

Personally I have more of a problem with those damn drums than somebody playing electrically at a reasonable level. The drums just go on and on with no real song structure. I'm bored with it in about ten minutes. But the drum circle folks aren't near me so I don't care. More power to them. I'll be near Big Dave On Bass's electric campfire jam and will be there much of the time they are playing. He knows when to run and when to chill out. Plus I've heard some pretty damn good music at his jam.

Too bad the festival or park people don't provide a good place to jam, like say the music hall after hours. The sound would stay contained and the late night crowd could party 'til the cows come home!

Tue Apr 21, 2009 10:46 am Profile
Wanee Veteran

that would be sick if they would keep the music hall open, and set up timeslots... but w. the bar in there that would never fly.

Tue Apr 21, 2009 11:05 am Profile
 [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next