Last visit was: Sat Aug 23, 2014 3:31 am It is currently Sat Aug 23, 2014 3:31 am

[ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Let's keep the park magical 
Wanee Gnome

Post Let's keep the park magical
This was my first Wanee and what an amazing festival it was. Personal highlights were Hill Country Revue and Dumpstaphunk. My only complaint for the entire weekend has to do with the large amount of trash I saw around all over the stage areas and even in much of the camp grounds. I have been to many other festivals at this park and at all the other's it is festival policy not only to ensure all trash is properly disposed of but also to even throw cigarette butts in the trash instead of the ground. I immediatley noticed that the cigarette butt policy was not in effect and by the time I showed up to the main stage for Gov't Mule it was apparent that much of this crowd either had a very difficult time finding the trash cans or simply couldn't be bothered to look for 1. I am utterly amazed at the amount of empty cans, bottle and plastic cups that were laid to rest in the lawn, under the oaks in the amphitheatre and nearly any other damn place but the trash. There seemed to be a nearly aggresive attitude of I don't give a s#%t! Hell I even saw a dude take a piss on some one's chair, who he didn't even know, in the middle of the crowd on the main stage. I understand this was a festival on a much larger scale however that it all the more reason for people to try to clean up after themselves and treat these sacred grounds with respect. No disrespect to the great crowd/vibe at Wanee but let's all remember we are just visitors to the SOSMP privledged enough to spend some time in a magical land which we all need to do our best to respect, maintain and most importantly enjoy!

Sun Jun 07, 2009 3:39 pm Profile
Wanee Veteran

Post Re: Let's keep the park magical
I'm with you, why turn the place into a pig sty? On the plus side I saw several people take it upon themselves to clean up some of the mess, including one guy who did it in the worst of the rain! There are some great people out there.

Sun Jun 07, 2009 6:36 pm Profile
Wanee Pro

yeah, I hate to dwell on anything negative but:

1) trash and, from what I can tell, no recycling opportunity

2) I guess when fests get bigger (was this bigger? people told me it was) you get all sorts, but my wife also saw the guy, or a guy, peeing in the crowd at the main stage and, well, say what you will about New Orleans but jazzfest will have 75k people a day and we've never seen that happen in the crowd. He's just one guy but it sure left a negative impression.

3) the yakkers! Why oh why would people do what it takes to get right in front of the ABB and then talk and talk and talk to one another with no regard for the performers nor for we who want to actually pay close attention to what's on stage!???!

4) I wish folks would've heeded the call somewhere on this forum to not throw glo-sticks around. I didn't see anyone get hurt, but the potential was certainly there.

And, finally, I saw a young man get carried out of the midnight DTB show around 1:30 a.m., bloodied up nose, ambulance called, etc. I don't know what happened, but I assume it was a fight from the look of the injury. I hope he's ok and that the Wanee Spirit will turn things around for him and do away with violence, leaving an improved soul who can have a great time just grooving to the tunes under a Full Wanee Moon. And what a beautiful moon it was Saturday night!!!

We hope to make it next year and if we do we'll do our part to keep the best things about Wanee alive.

greg and pamela

Sun Jun 07, 2009 7:18 pm Profile
Wanee Gnome

I seen the guy with the blood all over his face at the mushroom stage. I talked to someone who was by him and they said that he fell and hit his face and knocked himself out. no fighting tho. i don't believe i saw any type of violence the whole weekend! this was my first wanee and it will not be the last!

cheers everyone!

Sun Jun 07, 2009 8:41 pm Profile
Wanee Veteran

That's the story I got as well. He fainted or passed out face forward down on that concrete pad.

Sun Jun 07, 2009 10:51 pm Profile
Wanee Fan

THe park was magical.....trash, butts and all. I mean no disrespect. ;)

Mon Jun 08, 2009 12:51 am Profile
Wanee Lover

The park was beautiful! We camped about 100ft away from where we camp last year. The ONLY complaint i have. Was the Mini Rave at night. There was a tent sent up via "Mellow Mushroom" and a dance floor and about 9 people, eff'd up with glow sticks.

Ya know! To each his own, have fun....But! this is not Ultra Fest. Its Wanee Fest and when your crappy single beat techno, blocks me from being to listen to DTB at my camp, im gonna get mad...

SO! Whats a girl to do....Send her Hippie Mob to shut it down (which she did) ! And 45minutes later and the rest of Wanee...NO MORE DJ :) -Kudo's to you 1kitty-

YAY!!!!!!!!

Mon Jun 08, 2009 8:20 am Profile WWW
Wanee Peach

I'm gonna write to the people at the music park and ask them to provide recycle cans. Half the trash would've gone to a good use. Insofar as the pissing guy- some people you just can't take ANYWHERE! I've never seen that happen at any of the festivals I've ever been to.

Mon Jun 08, 2009 10:51 am Profile
Wanee Veteran

I went to a couple of blues festivals at Rock Crusher Canyon in Crystal River and they lined up trash cans and tied crime scene tape between them to form paths. It was a cool idea that worked there and solved two problems. Plus they enlisted a boy scout troop to make sweeps of the grounds in a line picking up trash. I don't know if the volunteered or if the troop got paid to do it. Anyway, that would be a great way to clean things up some between sets and let some civic group earn some cash for their programs.

Mon Jun 08, 2009 11:41 am Profile
Wanee Fan

Well, first, I loved the shows. It was a great year, despite the weather.

But....I think the magic is already over. It was way more crowded, and where we normall camp and have some elbow room was filled with RV's running thier generators all night and packs of frat boys yakking about the 4 beers they pounded dude. It didn't feel like a secret anymore, and I kinda suspects its gonna get out of control in the future....maybe it was just because of the 40th, who knows.

Anyway, see y'all at Magfest ;)

Mon Jun 08, 2009 1:15 pm Profile
 [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next